Testing BOBII on W11with 2.13

new reply
PV
BDG

Re: Testing BOBII on W11with 2.13

Post by PV »

Hi Jarod: with regard to switching between versions for testing, it will *probably* be alright to just switch the .exe for some instances, but you should know
that when we did upgrades to new patch levels throughout the years of BDG development, at several points we made some pretty large changes to the files
beyond the .exe, even to the extent of moving objects on the map to better reflect the real world. we also disabled the function in the .exe that made the
forests and towns stand up like a cluster of boxes.

I'm not sure how well all these changes handshake with the different .exes; it may be necessary to match the patch level of the other files to the exe for some
instances. I mean, this was not something we ever made a habit of doing, so I think I would be quite surprised if a 2.01 exe would run with the accompanying files
from 2.13, or vice versa.

When I was working on a new patch, I would have an install of the current patch, and the new one, each complete on my drive. I would do this by installing one, then
changing the name of the root folder, for instance from "Battle of Britain II" to "BoB2 current", then do a second install of the new version we were working on, as it
would not be aware of the old one with a different folder name. Then whenever necessary I could just switch between them by pasting the folder name "Battle of Britain II"
on the one I wanted to run, and altering the other to something different.

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Pete,

Good to hear from you. So far we have managed to get a compile up with bob.exe. The only problem is you can only fly the landing option. At the moment it seems that the menu side of things is completely shot to pieces and this has got to be sorted out. Apparently, Buddye flew it around for some two hours trying to get it to crash with no crashes. So keep your fingers crossed and keep checking in :D .

Regards,
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

Jarods18
Airman

Post by Jarods18 »

PV wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 07:33 Hi Jarod: with regard to switching between versions for testing, it will *probably* be alright to just switch the .exe for some instances, but you should know
that when we did upgrades to new patch levels throughout the years of BDG development, at several points we made some pretty large changes to the files
beyond the .exe, even to the extent of moving objects on the map to better reflect the real world. we also disabled the function in the .exe that made the
forests and towns stand up like a cluster of boxes.
Hi PV thanks for the answer, i agree with you ; but for the 2.02 patched version of bob 2, the bob.exe of 2.01 instead of the 2.02 works well with windows 10 , Buddye can confirm ; btw : there is few CTD

I think i am optimist when i wrote :
« Maybe i will find a more stability version of bob2 as close as possible to 2.13 , with as little CTD as possible and acceptable playability »

and the maximum is 2.02 or maybe the 2.03 , i will see ...

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi PV,

I have a question.

You wrote on the Bata forum, "Juan Arquillos was very helpful in getting 2.13 out the door,"

Do you know the VS version that he used? Was it VS version 5.0? I know you do not deal with these issues but I thought you might have access to the information. Did Two27 do the 2.13 compile?
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Jarods18
Airman

Post by Jarods18 »

hello guys, as you know i did some tests, here my results with NO 4 Gb patch for the moment :
-A- cdrom native english 2.0 + 2.02 : i confirm that bob.exe version 2.01 works FINE on a 2.02 installation :D
-A1- cdrom native english 2.0 + 2.03 ; I did it with a bob.exe version 2.01, but i must do again ; :idea: somebody has tested that ?

-B- cdrom native version 2.03 french ; it works but often with messages errors : bob doesn t work .... when i fly

-C- cdrom native version 2.03 french : with the bob.exe version 2.01 ; it works for IA (many tests) and campaign (long time in campaign) with an only error message as : bob doesn t work .... when i fly or altX

:idea: somebody has tested C BUT WITH A 2.0+2.03 english INSTALLATION, then changed by bob.exe version 2.01

I will engage the 4 G patch in a second try of -C-

-D- To come …Test of version 2.04 with a 2.01 bob.exe
But i guess it will or work because the release date is 07/2006 for the 2.04 patch
jarods18 :D
Last edited by Jarods18 on 21 Feb 2024, 06:27, edited 6 times in total.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Buddye wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:01 Hi PV,

I have a question.

You wrote on the Bata forum, "Juan Arquillos was very helpful in getting 2.13 out the door,"

Do you know the VS version that he used? Was it VS version 5.0? I know you do not deal with these issues but I thought you might have access to the information. Did Two27 do the 2.13 compile?

Hi Buddye: I did a quick search of the Beta forum, and found this thread on installing MVS 2005, which has all sorts of interesting posts in it, but
I've linked the ones where you help Arquillos get his setup going:

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 30#p358321

The first post in this thread is a very detailed set of instructions from two27 on getting a VS install set up, by the way. So it looks like
everyone was using VS2005, from what I can infer.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

As you know, I have very little intersection with programming; I did some BASIC and Fortran with Wat IV exactly 50 years ago,
which was basically using computer language to run physics calculations on sets of data, because there were no calculators
to do that back then. Then I did some 6502 and 8086 BASIC-with-machine code hacks on 8 bit machines in the early 80s, and
actually managed to debug a simple BASIC machine controller in about 1996 that had a typo, and felt very pleased with myself
at that. But I managed to get through life without ever having to comprehend any flavour of the "C" family, so it's all totally
alien to me.

However, there ought to be some things that apply regardless of language. Thus I'm puzzled: is there not a way to compare the
code from V2.01 to 2.02 and see where all the parts are that differ? Or is there no record of the old source, only compiled code
of the old versions?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

PV wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 09:36 However, there ought to be some things that apply regardless of language. Thus I'm puzzled: is there not a way to compare the
code from V2.01 to 2.02 and see where all the parts are that differ? Or is there no record of the old source, only compiled code
of the old versions?
Hi PV,
You are an old programmer just like me. I started on Fortran, and then spent on years on the Air Traffic control compiler called Jovial, and then on the Space Shuttle on board compiler called ADA for years. I only started C++ in 2005 after I retired from IBM.

Comparing 2.0 vs 2.01 and 2.01 vs 2.02 was my first thought, after Scott got Prem and I back on the BOBII SVN source code, we discovered that the SVN commits did not go back to 2005 which is what we needed. Scott did a search for the lost back up tapes, but he could not find them.
It is still very strange and I still do not understand how 2.1 works great without crashes and 2.2-2.13 crashes as the changes between 2.01 vs 2.02 are very small meaning very few changes.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Yeah, checking my archive, the first stuff I have after the BoB2 release is a zip of the v2.03 release, dated Nov 19th 2005,
so as the original BoB2 was released in August 2005, v2.01, and .02 must have each come out in those intervening 2 months,
so there wasn't much time to do anything except fix the problems that people were having with the original release version.

Jarods18
Airman

Post by Jarods18 »

Hi Buddye
I saw that in 2.04 update release 21/07/2006
Maybe usefull information ?
39.) 2.04 as previous versions has been compile by version 6 of Microsoft's Visual C++ Compiler. However we made "test compiles" with the newest version (8) and looked at all new warnings it generated and fixed all the critical ones. This includes a runtime one.

Jarods18

Jarods18
Airman

Post by Jarods18 »

Sorry i did a double post

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Buddye, PV,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading both your escapades. I started using a neighbours computer in about 1956/7 called a packet communicator and was called Paccom for short. It had 16 alpha numeric LEDs and a hexadecimal keypad. Rather restrictive compared to nowadays. I then built a couple of Nascoms for a friend which got me interested in electronics. I then managed to get hold of what was going to be Texas's next consumer computer, which they finally ditched. Probably because their new CPU, the 9995, they restricted the package to a 40 pin package, which meant they had to multiplex two of the buses. The disc operating system for it was C dose which was a cut down version of N Dos. Correcting C Dos was what got me interested in USCD Pascal and has since always been my favourite language. I tend to struggle with the C language and its variants. Anyhow, what I came here for, was mainly for you Buddye.

So far I have got the VS_modern to a stage of one warning and one error of which I have not been able to cure and the trunk version (BDG) I have managed to get down to 151 errors (don't panic 150 errors is the same error, i.e. WINVER) and one other error that I do not understand. Below is a listing of the WINVER error:
Error C1189 #error: MFC does not support WINVER less than 0x0501. Please change the definition of WINVER in your project properties or precompiled header.
I have checked all the properties sheet and there is nothing in there about the win version and I struggled to find anything in the precompiled headers. So I wonder if you know anything about this at all, Buddye.
Otherwise, I shall have to email Michal.

Regards to all,
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Prem,

I have spent some time trying to research and find the error you are talking about without any success as yet. I have the same error.

A visit with Michal would be very good. Ask Michal to help you set up the trunk branch for 2019 compile (sln setup, etc.).
Buddye

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Buddye,

As like you, I have been trying to research the two errors and cannot find anything that makes any sense to me. I will do as you say, and I was suspecting I would have to, and that is to contact Michal and ask him how he managed to correct the two errors.

I'm hoping that once those two errors are corrected. It will compile and touch wood, work. I have already partly done an email ready for Michal, so I will finish that later today and send it off. We will both have to keep our fingers crossed.

Regards,
Prem.

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Buddye,

All sent off. Hopefully we can get a successful compile and all will work?

Regards,
Prem.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”