Multiskin Shots thread (Luftwaffe)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Bader
BDG

Multiskin Shots thread (Luftwaffe)

Post by Bader »

[Edit by Osram: This thread was originally a "work thread" on the beta forum]:

Bader:- The idea is to show the amount of work that has gone into Multiskin. So we'll have a pic of most units in the Battle along with a few words. It will also help people to understand the significance of some of the schemes and variations and so make the campaign more compelling to those that may not have tried it.

For now, just some candidate pics. If anyone spots errors please shout. We've had to be slightly generic in some areas, but I hope that there aren't any glaring errors. The colouring on the Me109 lettercodes will not be right on some shots, btw, as they were updated afterwards. The primary reference has been the excellent Jadgwaffe series by Eric Mombeek.

Very special thanks to Redband for work on Staffel specific coloured lettering (typically red for 2nd and yellow for 3rd), and Maususer, Hawkman and Hammerd for the wonderful Me109 skins. I have applied some adaptation in some areas, as has Stickman. Thanks also to Osram for coding all of this. Developing the script files to place the textures (shaders) has been an interesting process.

IJG2. Based Le Havre. The dog is called Bonzo, btw.

IJG2 Bonzo Dog. Based Le Havre.

IJG2 Bonzo Dog. Based Le Havre.

IJG3. Based ColEmbert.
IJG3. Based ColEmbert. When the yellow ID markings were applied the Tazelwurm emblem was left exposed. Third Staffel (yellow numbercodes).
IJG3. Based ColEmbert. Second Staffel (red numbercodes).
IJG3. Based ColEmbert. Third Staffel (yellow numbercodes).
IJG3. Based ColEmbert. First Staffel.

IIJG3. Based Desvres.

IIJG3. Based Desvres.

IIIJG3. Based Samer.

IJG26. Based Wissant.

IIJG26. Based Audembert.

IIIJG26 The Griffon emblem. Yellow wingtip markings were not so common. Based Marquise.

IIIJG26. Based Marquise.

IJG27. Based St Andre-de-L'Eure.

IIIJG27 Third Staffel. Unusually, this Gruppe applied numbers to the nose cowling. Based Evreux.

IJG51. Based St Omer.
IJG51. Based St Omer.
IJG51. Based St Omer. Third Staffel.

IIJG51. Based Arques. The 'weeping brolly bird' bears an inscription "Gott strafe England". It replaced the more usual Gruppe bar/wavy line.

IIJG51. Based Arques.

IIIJG51 Ax von Niederhelm. Based Tramecourt.

IIJG52. Based Abbeville.

IIIJG52. Based Amiens.
IIIJG54. Based Amiens.

IJG54. Based Caffiers.
IJG54. Based Caffiers.
IJG54. Based Caffiers.
IIJG54. Based Guines. Third Staffel.

IIJG54. Based Guines.
IIJG54. Based Guines.
IIJG54. Based Guines.
IIJG54. Based Guines. Third Staffel.
IIJG54 Second Staffel. Based Guines.

IIIJG54 Unusual form of mottling applied, in stripes. Based HermElinghen.
Last edited by Bader on 22 Mar 2007, 06:56, edited 12 times in total.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

IJG53 Based Epinoy. Cowling Band.

IIJG53. Based Cambrai. Cowling Band

IIIJG53 Based Rosieres-en-Santerre. Cowling Band, No swastika. The lack of Swastika was a protest.
Last edited by Bader on 09 Dec 2006, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Bump. I moved these two posts from the beta forum :)

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Actually, Redband is already revving up for further revisions to this, depending upon feedback as to how the present version performs.

So expect this to become even better at the next stage. :)

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

McMick
Technical Sergeant

Post by McMick »

The yellow nose thing -- I have never had this question satisfactorily answered: Wasn't the yellow nose an exclusive paintjob used only by the "Abbeville Kids" (JG26)? So many sims make it seem like EVERY 109 was painted this way.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Um - simply look at the above posts and you will see. For all of those above we have historical sources. For example IIJG54 had a yellow nose, but not on top.

If you have a historical photo, you could use BoB2 to make a very educated guess as to unit.

The LW did not see Yellow as meaning "from unit XYZ" but as "is German". For example captured birds usually got a lot of yellow sprayd on, especially onto their underside.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

McMick, also take a look at the printable maps that Scott put together (linked off the main announcement and also here http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob ... f_maps.zip )

The ID markings and camouflage schemes were extremely variable. Out of 24 base schemes, only around half have yellow ID markings at all. It was definitely not only JG26, though, as you will see above.

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

redband_151
BDG

Post by redband_151 »

McMick wrote:The yellow nose thing -- I have never had this question satisfactorily answered: Wasn't the yellow nose an exclusive paintjob used only by the "Abbeville Kids" (JG26)? So many sims make it seem like EVERY 109 was painted this way.
No it was an form of ID used widely by the Luftewaffe through out many of its units. They really seemed to ramp up its use from about July of 1940. There were preferences by some staffleln to how much and where on the AC it was used. After a while you can look at a historical picture of this period and get a good idea from what unit the AC was from, even without seeing the unit markings. This being said, you will sometimes see historical photos of a unit and it will have several different schemes all at once, as their also seemed to be individual preferences too. There were also were some staffeln or pilots that seemed to prefer no tactical markings at all. It can be very bewildering at times.
As Bader has said, a new updated MS has already been worked on and in fact completed and sent for testing. It is even more accurate than this version.

Oli
Senior Airman

Post by Oli »

Just a thing about names :

IIJG3 was based in ColEmbert, not Colombert.

IIIJG54 was based in HermElinghen, not Hermalinghen.

Thanks for all those great skins and shots. I can imagine the time spent to do all that collection.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Thanks for the correction, Oli.

Interestingly, if you do a search both those names are regularly mis-spelt so I guess we fell into the same trap. Here's an example of a site that gets them wrong.
http://www.battle-of-britain.com/BoB2/D ... _luft2.htm

It's the order of battle in August 1940 and matches BoBII precisely 8)

In fact it has nothing to do with BoBII but somehow has BoB2 in its url. Strange! I wonder whether someone has been using the game for historical reference.

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Oli
Senior Airman

Post by Oli »

Bader wrote:Interestingly, if you do a search both those names are regularly mis-spelt so I guess we fell into the same trap. Here's an example of a site that gets them wrong.
http://www.battle-of-britain.com/BoB2/D ... _luft2.htm
On this site, some other names are mis-spelt. :wink:

da Held
Senior Airman

Post by da Held »

Actually the inscription under the weeping bird of II/JG51 states "Gott strafe England" which means "God punishes England", and not "Gott stasse England" what would translate to "God roads England". :lol:

No offence meant :D
Runter kommen sie alle...

maususer
BDG

Post by maususer »

Hmmmm...what have we here? :wink: Perhaps a few more updates soon....

IncendiaryLemon
Technical Sergeant

Post by IncendiaryLemon »

Smashing :)

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

That's a really unusual one!

Thanks da Held, quite right. An error.

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”