P-51D - Questions & Wishes

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

Hi there one and all. I have a couple of queries about the wonderful WWII / Solo P-51D.

Firstly, does anyone know what is the little outlet just forward of the main radiator shutter? It's hardly ever open in photos of the P-51 yet in the WWII and WoP Mustangs it always opens with the main rad shutter. Can it be opened or closed independently?

Secondly, is there a 'no tanks' model for the WWII version? It's easy enough to drop the tanks but you're left with the hangars which are plain ugly.

Finally, more of a wish than a question. I do all my sim flying in the 21st Century and I'd love to see a VC panel with the gunsight removed.

Cheers,

Steve

flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

I'm a great one for answering my own questions, so.....

The little outlet is the oil cooler exhaust and it should be operable independently of the rad shutter. The switches are there on the left panel between the rudder & aileron trim knobs but they appear to be dummies. They do work as they're supposed to on Warwick Carter's splendid 'selectware' P-51D

There is no 'no tanks' model for the WWII / Solo Mustang, or at least none that I can find. Funnily enough, Warwick Carter has also sorted this - if you reduce the drop tank fuel weight to zero in the payload manager then his model loads without them. Neat.

Finally, I wish the WWII/Solo P-51 had a civilian panel option. I expect you're fed up hearing about Warwick Carter by now, but..... :)

-E
Senior Airman

Re: P-51D - Questions & Wishes

Post by -E »

flying junk wrote:There is no 'no tanks' model for the WWII / Solo Mustang, or at least none that I can find.
Just drop them (nice thing about a computer is that you can do it on the runway with no ramifications! *grin*). That way you don't unnecessarily clutter up your aircraft selection lists or make things more complicated than they need to be with regards models and repaints, etc. Not only that, but you then don't even have to go into menus to get rid of the fuel and it's weight.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Post a screenshot of Warwick Carter's cockpit, please.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

flying junk
Airman First Class

Carter Mustang Cockpit

Post by flying junk »

Right, I think I've got it now....

It's not as accurate as our Shockwave Fave but very good for a freebie.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Wow! It's better looking than I was led to believe from other FS users.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DougHillman
Airman Basic

Post by DougHillman »

-E wrote:
flying junk wrote:There is no 'no tanks' model for the WWII / Solo Mustang, or at least none that I can find.
Just drop them (nice thing about a computer is that you can do it on the runway with no ramifications! *grin*). That way you don't unnecessarily clutter up your aircraft selection lists or make things more complicated than they need to be with regards models and repaints, etc. Not only that, but you then don't even have to go into menus to get rid of the fuel and it's weight.
I donno about you but when I drop my tanks in FS and look at my plane from an external view, there they still are. Just hanging out there uglying up the airplane. This seems to be an infectious curse amongst folks who model fighter aircraft for the FS series. What's the deal?

I mean, I know we ain't got no guns, but still. Are we supposed to just be pretending that we're ferry pilots? A little gender bending doesn't hurt anyone, but my girlfriend can play the WASP pilot if she wants. I'd prefer to fly a nice clean combat ready fighter. I mean, hell, if you're gonna put tanks on some of the planes, at least put 'em on the ones that need 'em. That Emil needs a drop tank to extend its range a hell of alot more than the 51 does.

My bombs go away when I pull the levers in the Jug's cockpit, but that belly tank keeps holding on no matter how many times I yank on that lever.

Now, if the weight & the drag go away when they're dropped, bully for that. At least they're not slowing me up when I'm pulling loops around my buddy's 172 in multiplayer as he practices shooting an ILS approach. But when I step outside to see how cool I look, there they are, all bulbous and ugly, sticking out there like a sore thumb.

C'mon Shockwave (and anyone else reading this who produces payware or freeware fighters.)! Give us a clean model for every plane that you put tanks on.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

DougHillman wrote: I donno about you but when I drop my tanks in FS and look at my plane from an external view, there they still are. Just hanging out there uglying up the airplane. This seems to be an infectious curse amongst folks who model fighter aircraft for the FS series. What's the deal?

I mean, I know we ain't got no guns, but still. Are we supposed to just be pretending that we're ferry pilots? A little gender bending doesn't hurt anyone, but my girlfriend can play the WASP pilot if she wants. I'd prefer to fly a nice clean combat ready fighter. I mean, hell, if you're gonna put tanks on some of the planes, at least put 'em on the ones that need 'em. That Emil needs a drop tank to extend its range a hell of alot more than the 51 does.

My bombs go away when I pull the levers in the Jug's cockpit, but that belly tank keeps holding on no matter how many times I yank on that lever.

Now, if the weight & the drag go away when they're dropped, bully for that. At least they're not slowing me up when I'm pulling loops around my buddy's 172 in multiplayer as he practices shooting an ILS approach. But when I step outside to see how cool I look, there they are, all bulbous and ugly, sticking out there like a sore thumb.

C'mon Shockwave (and anyone else reading this who produces payware or freeware fighters.)! Give us a clean model for every plane that you put tanks on.
In FS2004 the keyboard shortcut will work it out.
In FSX use droptank switches/levers to drop these ugly tanks down.

These versions of Emils from our pack don't carry droptanks. The E-7 was the one with droptank.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

DougHillman
Airman Basic

Post by DougHillman »

ROB - Shockwave wrote:
DougHillman wrote: I donno about you but when I drop my tanks in FS and look at my plane from an external view, there they still are. Just hanging out there uglying up the airplane. This seems to be an infectious curse amongst folks who model fighter aircraft for the FS series. What's the deal?

In FS2004 the keyboard shortcut will work it out.
In FSX use droptank switches/levers to drop these ugly tanks down.

These versions of Emils from our pack don't carry droptanks. The E-7 was the one with droptank.

regards
ROB
As I said, the levers don't do a thing for me. I get the green message bar that the drop tanks are armed and then that they're released. But my exterior views still show them.

Advanced animations are turned on.

Can other FSX users confirm that they disappear from the external visual model?

Barvan
Airman First Class

Post by Barvan »

Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't. They only seem to go away after changing views. I have never seen the tanks drop in the outside view.

To make them go away I change back to the vc and then back to the outside view and sometimes they are gone, sometimes not.

The weight is gone as soon as the sim brings up the release message, but the tanks are still there. :cry:

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Barvan wrote:Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't. They only seem to go away after changing views. I have never seen the tanks drop in the outside view.

To make them go away I change back to the vc and then back to the outside view and sometimes they are gone, sometimes not.

The weight is gone as soon as the sim brings up the release message, but the tanks are still there. :cry:
The switches and levers are located in VC. How do you drop tanks in outside view?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Sorry guys, but I lose tanks every time I drop them.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

DougHillman
Airman Basic

Post by DougHillman »

No such luck here.

DougHillman
Airman Basic

Post by DougHillman »

Actually, I want to report that I was able to get them off the Mustang just now. Still no dice with the 47 though. As Barvan stated, something must be keeping them on the visual model sometimes. Because I've got P-51 screencaps around here somewhere that match those I posted of the 47. Message that they've dropped, but there they still are.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Still lucky day I have

Doug, your screen message "Drop tank 1 already released" means you want to drop an already released tank. In other words there's nothing to drop - you had to drop it earlier, wrong way I guess. The correct message right after the drop atempt should be "Drop tank 1 released". Do you use drop tank lever?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”