AIRCRAFT POWERPACK

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
new reply
glcanon
Airman Basic

AIRCRAFT POWERPACK

Post by glcanon »

Okay, if I already own WOP Heavy Bombers & Jets as well as WOPII WWII FIGHTERS, do I need AIRCRAFT POWERPACK -- am I missing something here?

I truly want that nice Focke-Wolf, so when is it going to get thrown into a set? And what's the difference b/t the P-51 included in WWII FIGHTERS and the stand-alone P-51 offered in Shockwave's store?

Sorry for all the questions, but hope some of you can provide answers.

THANKS!
Last edited by glcanon on 19 Jan 2007, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'd say that you don't need the Aircraft Power Pack unless you now have FSX (the old FS9 planes have been updated for FSX) or if you plan to fly CFS3 and you don't have FirePower, the other half of the APP bundle.

What's new in the APP version of Heavy Bombers and Jets? The B-17 crewmen are a little taller than in the old version of Heavy Bombers and Jets, and there is a bonus B-29 skin that before you had to e-mail Shockwave for. And, if you have a really old version of Heavy Bombers and Jets and don't have the O.D. colored B-24 that was added to the first re-release of Heavy Bombers and Jets, that skin is also included.

I don't thinkg that there isn't a difference between the download version of the 'Solo' P-51D and the version on the WWII Fighers CD-ROM, assuming that you have the v1.2 patch for WWII Fighters installed. I could be wrong though.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

glcanon
Airman Basic

P-51 differences

Post by glcanon »

I just downloaded skins for the WWII P-51 (Geraldine skin) and for the stand-alone Shockwave P-51 (old Crow skin). The skins are totally different! The stand-alone P-51 has the fuselage and wings on the same skin, while on the WWII P-51 these are separate files.

So, these skins CANNOT be interchanged. Guess Shockwave did this so we have to buy both P-51s?

If so, what sre the differences between the different P-51 designs that Shockwave offers, and it is really worth paying TWICE just to have another p-51 model which allows me to be able to downloa 'Old Crow' and other skins... ?
Last edited by glcanon on 19 Jan 2007, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Are you sure that the skins you found for the "stand-alone P-51" aren't actually for the first version of the Mustang that was the WOP P-51D/H pack?

I was just playing around with the original P-51D's textures (not the WWII Fighters version) and I can confirm that the wings and fuselage are all on one texture for the first version.

I haven't checked the differences myself between the older version and the newer version's number of textures. Also, I don't have the Solo version Mustang. And I never installed the WOP P-51D that was on the Power Pack CD-ROM either because I already have the earlier P-51D/H download pack and also the WWII Fighters CD-ROM so there really wasn't a reason to install the PowerPack version. However, the screenshots on PowerPack show the same paint scheme that is available on the WWII Fighters CD and that is on the screenshot at the Solo area. This paint scheme is not available in the older WOP P-51D/H pack.
Last edited by Skycat on 18 Jan 2007, 23:03, edited 3 times in total.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

To be a bit more clear ...

The P-51D/H pack has been out for about two years or so and was the first Flight Simulator Wings of Power product from Shockwave. It has gotten two upgrade patches since, the more recent one having been this summer as Shockwave finalized the flight characteristics that it wanted for the WWII Fighters version of the Mustang.

I understood that the WWII Fighters version of the P-51D was the 'high resolution' version, which usually means that more textures are used to skin the model. So I believe that the version on the WWII Fighters CD-ROM should have the highly refined flight model (after two years of experience with this plane) and the higher resolution textures. It is certainly compatible with FSX.

Other than that, the major difference between the original version P-51D and the WWII Fighters version is that the original version has a full 2-D panel that matches the VC, while the WWII Fighters version has the mini-panel design that is just a strip along the bottom of the screen. In this respect, I actually prefer the original version because I can call up a separate throttle quadrant and a separate fuel selector switch. However, it seems to me that the textures load faster on the WWII Fighters version.

If you look at the P-51D/H pack information, you'll also see that the cockpit layout is slightly different between the D and the H models.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

glcanon
Airman Basic

Post by glcanon »

Skycat, it seems that you are saying you own the original WOP P-51 D/H pack, as well as Heavy Bombers, WWII Fighters, and AIRCRAFT POWERPACK as well? That's a big investment. Surely there's overlap and redundancy there?

But that's what I'm getting at --- I already own Heavy Bombers & WWII Fighters, but the skins I want to use on the WWII Fighters P-51 (namely Yankee's 'Old Crow' skins) won't work, they all appear to have been created for the older WOP P-51 D/H where the fuselage & wings are all on the same skin.

If I understand the press kit on the new AIRCRAFT POWERPACK release, Shockwave has included the old WOP P-51D/H, but now it's a FIREPOWER version, meaning it only works only in CFS3 ??? Is that right?

So even if I purchased this new AIRCRAFT POWERPACK software, I wouldn't be able to fly this P-51D with Yankee's 'Old Crow' skin within FS9 or FSX? I'd still have to shell out another $24.99 to buy the old P-51 D/H pack to be able to fly Yankee's 'Old Crow' skin within FS9 or FSX?

'MY BRAIN HURTS.'
--John Cleese, of Monty Python fame

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

"By Jove, I thinke he's got it!"

One more little wrinkle for you though: The FirePower P-51D textures are in a different file format than the WOP (FS9) P-51D and have different file names as well. You'd need to convert at least one repaint texture to CFS3 format to have the fuselage and wings show, and a second texture to also recolor the nose spinner. I haven't completely figured out how to resave the FS9 textures so that there isn't ghosting and clipping in CFS3. And, as of now, I don't know how to add additional options of skins to my CFS3 library; I can only replace the skin on the basic FirePower P-51D that was installed by Aircraft Power Pack.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

-E
Senior Airman

Post by -E »

Skycat wrote:What's new in the APP version of Heavy Bombers and Jets? The B-17 crewmen are a little taller than in the old version
Shockwave should have given us old version users an update. Getting to-scale crewmembers would be worth a patch by itself. Not to mention reversed B-24 (et al) flap levers.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We're gonig to get those improved crew members out to you.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mr.Mugel
Airman First Class

Post by Mr.Mugel »

Is there a possibility to get a gear swith in the VC as well, and maybe fuel booster pumps for all engines, too ? Would improve the plane a lot for me, by the means of autheticy.... ! And when is a patch possible to come ?

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”