Testing BOBII on W11with 2.13

new reply
Buddye
BDG

Testing BOBII on W11with 2.13

Post by Buddye »

Hi, my name is Buddye, and I worked on BOBII from 2005 until about 2014. I work mostly on AI and many other Items (fight control with Blue Six, Bullets and guns, crashes, etc.) as a coder and general support for BOBII users. I was a member of the BDG (BOB II Development Group) until I retired in 2014.
The reason I am writing is I have been working on getting back into BOBII as a user. I installed Windows 7 on my old Alienware PC (spec’s shown at the bottom of this post). My thanks to Prem for helping me. I installed BOBII from a CD and then 2.13. I have been relearning the keys, setup, and functions of BOBII for about 2 months. It is way too early as yet but my old Alienware Windows 7 PC run BOBII as always without any significant problems. I have run IA missions and started a campaign. I am not an expert BOBII flyer/user and I know little about the Campaign. I spent my time coding new function, improvements, and bugs so the only real BOBII user experience was testing my changes or gathering data in bugs, problems or issues.

This week end I installed BOBII and 2.13 on my new Windows 11 Gaming PC that by brother built for me.
Here are the Specs: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3.8 GHz 12-core Processor, 32 GB (4x8 GB0 memory, SSD 2 x 1TB, Video Card Gigabyte GV – R57XT gaming Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit.
My display is a Dell widescreen running 2560x1440@ 160.
I gave the spec’s so you would know the PC I am running.

It is way too early but my Windows 11 with 2.13 run BOBII with few significant problems. I ran many IA missions (I would guess over 100). I did have some problems. I had two mission crash when I Alt-X and one mission crash during a dog fight. I also had intermittently some strange type slowing issue (like stuttering) which is a significant issue, IMHO. The minimum FPS was about 90 most of the time but when the stuttering occurred the minimum FPS drops to less than 10 for a short time. The average FPS was always greater than 160.
I plan on continuing running BOBII on both my PC’s to see if I can find some solutions. I really do not understand why BOBII has so many problems running on W8, W10, and W11. I will report back If I find anything worth reporting.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Re: Testing BOBII on W11with 2.13

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hi Buddye, I loved your intro - 'Hi, my name is Buddye.' Believe me mate, you don't need to introduce yourself on this forum. Anyone who has been anywhere near BoB2 knows the legend that is Buddye!

You don't know me so I'd like to start by thanking you for all the brilliant work you have done in the past to transform BoB2, I can't tell you how much it is appreciated.

It is so encouraging to hear that you are having a look to see if the old girl can be fixed for latter versions of Windows. Since I got a W10 PC a couple of years ago, I have - thanks to brilliant work by Felizpe I have been able to run campaign mode in v2.06. Its been a bit quiet on the BoB2 front but Boreas and rogeroger in particular have kept plugging away, particularly in relation to graphics.

A while ago I was helping Randy (two27) by testing 2.14 which he was working on & I had also done some testing for Jeff (Stickman). So if I can be of any help in testing anything for you, just let me know. I do visit the forum regularly & of course you could PM me if needed.

In any event welcome back to BoB2 & I hope you enjoy taking to the virtual skies again.
Cheers
Keith
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Lofty, Thanks you for the kind words in your post. I will indeed keep in mind your great offer to help me test anything I may come up with.

I am struggling, with only a few months of relearning BOBII as a user. I am sure that my older age has slowed me down and it may be a long shot for me to find solutions.

The one "Fact" I am sure of is that BOBII is special.

There are games where we spend the momentary distractions which we occasionally spend a few fleeting moments. Then there are true works of genius, like BOBII which draw us into a parallel world, pure escapism from our otherwise tedious real lives. BOBII is a true Time Machine for the BOB. BOBII is the "The BOB Time Machine" where you can get the closest feeling possible to a real-life BOB pilot fighting in the BOB. It is truly special, IMHO.

There isn't a game in existence that doesn't have negative points. Yes, BOBII has its warts and problems. The BDG approach has been to refine something until the good massively outweighs almost all other considerations. The concept is simple, one starts with a special Sim like Rowan’s BOB, and you continue to refine it with new features, options, and stability while fixing the problems. BOBII has achieved that. BOBII goes beyond being a game, it is an experience. BOBII is a Flight Sim + Role-Play of the BOB. This is a concept that 95% of game developers fail to grasp which results in a “No heart, no soul Sim” which despite all it’s technical brilliance, will never be elevated to the truly great sim level.

In addition, BOBII is a Combat Flight Sim with:

1. The best offline WWII dog fighting
2. The best WWII offline AI performance
3. The best dynamic campaign of the BOB
Buddye

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Spot on!
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”