Sunday, March 12 - The Flying Tigers and The Burma Road - Part 1

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Sunday, March 12 - The Flying Tigers and The Burma Road - Part 1

Post by ratty »

Since we're to fly P-40s this week, it seemed appropriate to explore the areas where the First American Volunteer Group, the Flying Tigers, flew their missions. We start in Rangoon (now Yangon) where the pilots disembarked from the ships that brought them from the USA and where their aircraft were assembled. Following the southern portion of the Burma Road we fly to the training field at Taungoo then up into the mountains to meet the Salween River. We follow the river northwards to the Salween Gorge then fly west to land at Lashio.

Skyvector looks like:
https://skyvector.com/?ll=20.2137491603 ... 51E%20VYLS

499 nm

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Yangon International Airport, VYYY.

Aircraft: P-40s of the AVG.

Local takeoff time: 0600.

Weather: Historical.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Sunday, March 12 - The Flying Tigers and The Burma Road - Part 1

Post by DHenriques_ »

ratty wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 21:30 Image

Since we're to fly P-40s this week, it seemed appropriate to explore the areas where the First American Volunteer Group, the Flying Tigers, flew their missions. We start in Rangoon (now Yangon) where the pilots disembarked from the ships that brought them from the USA and where their aircraft were assembled. Following the southern portion of the Burma Road we fly to the training field at Taungoo then up into the mountains to meet the Salween River. We follow the river northwards to the Salween Gorge then fly west to land at Lashio.

Skyvector looks like:
https://skyvector.com/?ll=20.2137491603 ... 51E%20VYLS

499 nm

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Yangon International Airport, VYYY.

Aircraft: P-40s of the AVG.

Local takeoff time: 0600.

Weather: Historical.

That's horrible country for sure. LOL
Way back when, I founded an organization that had several of the original AVG on board as charter members. Shilling, Hill, Noel Bacon, were members as well as Anna Chennault and Bob Scott.
Scotty was a lifelong friend. I should note he wasn't a member of the AVG but Chennault "loaned him a P40 that he flew to backup pilots flying the hump. He later commanded the 23rd Fighter Group after the Tigers were disbanded after pearl Harbor.
I remain friends today with Lydia Rossi.
All the Tigers I knew were great people.
Lots of history there.
Dudley Henriques

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Sunday, March 12 - The Flying Tigers and The Burma Road - Part 1

Post by ratty »

As I dig into their story I'm realizing I really know very little about this remarkable group. I've just ordered Sam Kleiner's book about the group, of which one reviewer said "The Flying Tigers has it all: aerial guerilla warfare, foreign intrigue, inspiring heroism, and a Hollywood-worthy cast of colorful misfits, rebels, and patriotic adventurers, all woven into an electrifying narrative." Can't wait!

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”