Sunday 5-Mar-2023 Gypsy Salute

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Sunday 5-Mar-2023 Gypsy Salute

Post by Paughco »

Misfits: One of our squadron members is MIA. Research indicates that he may have left us and is now on extended patrol in the skies above. We intend to fly a tribute to our lost squadron member. He was a solid B-17 guy, so next Sunday we'll fly our B-17s from Travis AFB (KSUU) to execute a missing man formation over Gypsy's Place in Daly City, California.

We'll take off from Travis AFB at 1100 local time on 5-Mar-2023. We'll orbit Travis until everybody has taken off, level off at 2,500 feet and set out on a flight over several nearby airports. The purpose for this preliminary flight is so we can (attempt to) get into a decent formation, after which we'll turn towards the Bay Area. Our "IP" will be the now-closed Alameda Naval Air Station, then we'll "keep it tight," as we fly towards Gypsy's last known Earthly address just north of San Bruno Mountain. One of us will peel off as the "Missing Man" as we fly over Gypsy's place. Then we'll fly out over the Pacific Ocean, to a series of waypoints that will line us up for a flight under the Golden Gate Bridge. We'll fly over Alcatraz, then on to a couple VORs, finally landing at Mather AFB. Travis and Mather were both Strategic Air Command bases back in the '60s.

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Travis Air Force Base (KSUU).

Local takeoff time: 1100, 5-Mar-2023

Weather: Historic for local time when you show up on 5-Mar-2023. NOTE: I live in the Pacific Time Zone, same as where we'll be flying, so I'll have my Active Sky set to "Live." I'm not sure how Active Sky works if you're flying this mission in a location several or many time zones away from the Pacific Time Zone. Should you be using Historic because you're far away, or should you be using Live because you're not dialing the clock back to a different time at the location from which you'll be flying? Sorry for the confusion. This stuff makes my head hurt.

Here's the flight plan on SkyVector: https://skyvector.com/?ll=38.0172630185 ... SAC%20KMHR

I'll post the LNV flight plan on Discord.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 27 Feb 2023, 12:37, edited 2 times in total.

LSEdwards
Airman

Re: Sunday 5-Mar-2023 Gypsy Salute

Post by LSEdwards »

Sorry I have missed the last couple of weeks but I've been away / ill. Very sorry to hear about Gypsy, that's quite a shock. I will join on Sunday to pay my respects.

Lawrence

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have flown many an hour with paul AKA Gypsy Baron , his aircraft was the B17 Fearless Fosdick of the 91st BG 324th BS , i started with the 91st about jan 2017 , and ended up as VCol as CO of the 324th , and my chosen aircraft in the 324th is the Memphisbelle , i would like to try and make this flight if possible , to pay my respects to Paul .
I have never used Discord so might need a radio check prior flight , to check my settings as i usually use TS3 when flying on DigitalThemePark with the 91st.
Regards Alan. 8)

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

alan CXA651 wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 06:45 Hi.
I have flown many an hour with paul AKA Gypsy Baron , his aircraft was the B17 Fearless Fosdick of the 91st BG 324th BS , i started with the 91st about jan 2017 , and ended up as VCol as CO of the 324th , and my chosen aircraft in the 324th is the Memphisbelle , i would like to try and make this flight if possible , to pay my respects to Paul .
I have never used Discord so might need a radio check prior flight , to check my settings as i usually use TS3 when flying on DigitalThemePark with the 91st.
Regards Alan. 8)
Hi, Alan. We'd love to have you join us! We normally start to gather 30 to 45 minutes before the scheduled takeoff time, so plenty of time to get your comms squared away. Are you already set up on the A2A Discord channel?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

alan CXA651 wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 06:45 Hi.
Regards Alan. 8)
If you're already set up on the A2A Discord channel, great. If not, please ask Lewis to give you permission to get on the A2A Discord channel. Lewis's posts on the A2A Forum have his signature block, which contains links to contact Lewis and ask him to let you in.

Hope to seeya
ATB

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Paughco & ratty.
I did not dare to say anything until i got one of my phantom updates that plays hell with my win 7 every 3 days , today i got one of them and it seems to show me still connected with A2A on Discord , due another on the 5th so see what happens then , these have been happening since i got my Logitech gaming mouse and G935 headset and installed their stupid hub , i have tried till blue in the face to stop these phantom updates , dont you just love computers .
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Paughco.
I tried sending you a simple text message of TEST in Discord Chat , but got no reply , i have the A2A avitar showing on left and saw you and ratty on DigitalThemePark , at the end of my flight in the A2A B17 , and tried testing Discord , i am assuming you never got the message , i think i followed all your instructions in this forum , but i have failed somewhere along the way i think.
regards Alan. 8)

Junkman00
Airman

Post by Junkman00 »

I to would like to join Sunday. I flew with Paul (about six years or so) in the 91st Bombardment Group 401st. Would be happy to join in formation.
Junkman00

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Alan: I got your message on the A2A Discord channel and replied. You are in. Cool.

Junkman: You are totally welcome to join us on Sunday's flight.

Fellow Misfits: We discussed this Sunday's flight during our Friday flight over France. Ian brought up the subject of formations. He pointed out that we need to have an idea of what sort of formation we want to fly. That seems appropriate, as we don't want to just fly in a gaggle, even a tight gaggle.

If we have four aircraft we should fly in a finger four formation. If we have five, the fifth aircraft should form up behind the first aircraft, at about 45 degrees to the side of airplanes 2 and 3. If we have six aircraft, we should probably form up as one of the six-aircraft elements in the illustration below. We can discuss this while we are warming up our aircraft. Anybody who has more experience, or has flown in B-17 formations before, is welcome to offer suggestions, or even lead, as this is all new to me.

Here is a link to a reference about B-17 formation flying: https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/details/formationsflug/. I just found it. It is mostly concerned with combat formations, but it may be helpful for this Sunday's flight.

Image.

Once we have established our formation, we should execute standard rate turns at our waypoints.

Thank you
ATB

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Paughco.
The 91st depending on mission turn out was usually in 3 ship v or 4 ship diamond , if six flew then we had two lots of 3 , if tags on which is normal in the 91st then we kept 0.1 apart except for when internet played up then you could find yourself in front or behind by a big margin and rate 1 turns where standard , but we have not flown missions for just over a year so rusty on formation flying .
The 91st website has some info on formation flying .
https://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/Fo ... -23-15.pdf
regards Alan. 8)

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

My heart has sank reading this 😢
The things Paul alone bought to my sim was amazing and he didn’t even know it. Such a talented loss to the community. His knowledge was staggering. He will be missed by many I’m sure.

I may possibly be able to join if invited? I’d need to set everything up.

R.I.P Paul “Gypsey Baron”

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Thank you to everyone that participated in the Gypsy Salute. While I 'm sure that 91st Bomb Group guys would laugh at our formation attempt, I'd say we did pretty good. It was especially easy for me, as I was overall flight leader. The main jobs of the flight leader are to 1) lead the formation on the intended course, and 2) maintain constant altitude, airspeed, and provide a stable platform for everyone else. Here's to my autopilot for a great job! The rest of you guys did an outstanding job, especially as we approached Gypsy's place in Daly City.

I hope that somehow Gypsy was gazing down at our flight, probably laughing or possible offering suggestions that we couldn't hear.

RIP Gypsy Baron.

Seeya
ATB

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Guys,

So sorry, I haven't been following the forums as closely as I usually do as of late, and only just realised this post relates to Paul Strogen's passing. This is such sad new as he was a very important member of the community here, and helped with the development of many A2A products, long before my involvement here. He's helped me with stuff on many an occasion too.

Does anybody know when we lost Paul?

Thanks and Rest in Peace Gypsy Baron.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Hi, Nick. He hadn't shown up for our Misfit Squadron flights in several weeks, and I ran a search and found a reference to a Neptune Society page that said January 29th.

He will be missed.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”