Sunday 18th September. Battle Of Britain Day

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Sunday 18th September. Battle Of Britain Day

Post by ianfisher 101 »

Battle of Britain Day, 15 September 1940, is the day on which a large-scale aerial battle took place over Southern England .

In June 1940, the Wehrmacht had conquered most of Western Europe and Scandinavia. At that time, the only major power standing in the way of a German-dominated Europe was the British Empire and the Commonwealth. After having several peace offers rejected by the British, Adolf Hitler ordered the Luftwaffe to destroy the RAF in order to gain air superiority or air supremacy as a prelude to launching Operation Sea Lion, an amphibious assault by the Wehrmacht (German armed forces) onto the British mainland. In July 1940, the Luftwaffe started by closing the English Channel to merchant shipping. In August, Operation Adlerangriff (Eagle Attack) was launched against RAF airfields in southern England. By the first week of September, the Luftwaffe had not gained the results desired by Hitler. Frustrated, the Germans turned towards the strategic bombing of cities, an offensive which was aimed at damaging British military and civil industries, as well as civilian morale.

On Sunday 15 September 1940, the Luftwaffe launched its largest and most concentrated attack against London in the hope of drawing out the RAF into a battle of annihilation. Around 1,500 aircraft took part in the air battles which lasted until dusk. The action was the climax of the Battle of Britain. RAF Fighter Command defeated the German raids; the Luftwaffe formations were dispersed by a large cloud base and failed to inflict severe damage on the city of London. In the aftermath of the raid, Hitler postponed Sea Lion. Having been defeated in daylight, the Luftwaffe turned its attention to The Blitz night campaign which lasted until May 1941.

Battle of Britain Day, 15 September, is now an annual commemoration of the battle in the United Kingdom.

For this years BOB day sortie I thought we'd visit the most important Group 11 airfields that were involved in the conflict. Tangmere, Biggin Hill, Hawkinge, North Weald, Martlesham Heath, and others, all classic WWII airfields that will forever be connected with the worlds greatest air battle.

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: EKHA

Aircraft: Spitfire

Takeoff time: 1600

Weather: Real

https://skyvector.com/?ll=51.5270299994 ... 28W%20EGWU
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Sunday 18th September. Battle Of Britain Day

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Shouldn't that take off field be 'EGHA' and not 'EKHA' ?

-=GB=-

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

Correct My Bad, EGHA
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

I am sad that not a single Me 109E was represented. After all, without it, there would have been no BoB! 😁
Seriously, whenever I look at, or read descriptions of, a flight of warbirds, there never seems a desire to include the Me. Why not?
Also, there is practically no new(!) version of any Me 109, whereas numerous new and improved warbirds appear that are from the Allied side.
Why is that so? I love my A2A Spitfire as much as everyone else but why is there not a new A2A Me 109E? I fly the old Aircraft Factory version, and I like it, but would love to have one that has all the bells and whistles that the Spit (or the Mustang, Texan T-6, Hurricane,…) has.
Also, I miss a good and new version of the FW 190 (the last version is from Classics Hangar, for FSX).

I would have loved to „accompany“ you all in my Me 109E to give the flight a more realistic appearance😬

Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

Hi Volker

I entirely agree with you. The only A2A war bird options for P3D v5 are the T-6, Spit, P40, P51 and B17. The old 109 does not work in v5, I have tried believe me. I hope in the future that may change but I fear all the focus is now on MSFS. It’s been over Four years since the last new release for P3D.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”