P40 Fails to instal

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Bluescaster
Airman Basic

P40 Fails to instal

Post by Bluescaster »

Hi, Just downloaded the Complimentary P40 for P3D v4, having chanced upon the A2a Website.

My P3D is on my 'F' Drive although 'P3D v4 Add-ons' is on my 'C' drive (C:Users/name/documents/prepare3d v4 add-ons) P3D was fairly recently Updated to v4.5 in it's current, on Computer, configuration. O.S. Windows 10 and Updated.

I Unzipped the Download to a Temporary File where the .exe file and Adobe Document appeared as expected. However, when I Click on the .exe file I get a message, "The Accu-Sim P-40 Warhawk can't be installed because a valid installation of (P3Dv4) has not been found on your computer".

I DO have a Valid Copy (Updated to v4.5) on my Computer and so am hoping P-40 Tech Support are able to offer some help please.

Regards,
Blue

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: P40 Fails to instal

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Blue and welcome.

This message indicates that the Prepar3D.exe can't be found in the location specified in the Windows registry.

Running a repair on the sim will usually fix this. However do you use any "registry cleaner" type software? Alternatively, have you made any manual changes to the installation path of P3Dv4 since you installed the sim; for example, moving or renaming any directories into which the sim was installed?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Hi Nick, Thanks for your response.

I updated the P3D to v4.5 (from 4.3 I think) in June this year. All went as planned with that update so I'm assuming the Registry was as it should have been in order for the Lockheed Martin Software to update?

I do or have used, a computer Cleaner since then BUT HAVE used the 'Repair' function on the Windows 10 'Setting' since the A2A product failed to Instal. (I've run through that twice to no effect).

I do have a little program I Downloaded from the internet that purports to 'Repair' the Registry of any of FS9, FSX and P3D Flight Sims, but so far have not tried it yet. My thinking here was, much as I've indicated above; as the LM P3D 'Updated' successfully to P3Dv4.5 then the Registry entry must have been OK. I'd appreciate your observation on that before I try this 'Repair' software please?

Thanks for your help.
Blue

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Nick (or other?),

Further to my reply above - the Register Repair software I mentioned has the name:' NMG_regfix.exe'. Does anyone have any experience with this program please? (I had/have a RegFix for FS2004 & FSX and used it successfully when the Register files had gone awry but have not used the current file.) Thanks.

Regards,
Blue

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Blue,

I've not personally used any standalone registry mechanic software for many years as I feel it often does more harm than good.

However, if you haven't already, please can you try a repair of your P3D installation via its original installer? This should fix any missing registry entries for the simulator, and is accessed via the Prepar3D entry in the Windows list of installed programs (under "modify").

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately you missed my entry (above) regarding the Registry and my attempt to Repair it with the Win10 OS Software.

I should probably now decide wether to try something else or perhaps attempt to re-install P3D Sim Software completely. However, I can't really see what difference that could make in light of the recent update to 4.5 I mentioned and the 'Repairs' attempted with Win10.

Any further observation you might have would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Blue

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Blue,

Apologies - by "the 'Repair' function on the Windows 10 'Setting'" did you mean using the Prepar3D installer from the apps and features menu in the Windows settings?

If so, please can you let us know if you've moved or renamed the installation directory in any way since you installed P3D? In fact, if you can just state your full installation path for P3Dv4 here it may help, because it apparently doesn't match what the Windows registry has recorded.

Not sure if you're familiar with the Windows Registry Editor, but you can use it to check the relevant registry setting (SetupPath) under the key "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" as pictured with my installation below. If you need any more guidance on this, please let me know.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 121815.png
Screenshot 2022-08-19 121815.png (36.73 KiB) Viewed 3831 times

The other thing to double-check is that you're not accidentally running the P-40 installer for P3Dv5!

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Hello again Nick,

Thanks for your latest Post. I've tried to answer your queries in order:

Yes - I did mean the 'Repair' function on the Win 10 ' Settings' using the P3D Installer from Apps Menu.

Yes - Prepar3D WAS moved from my 'D' SSD to my 'F' HDD around May or June this year BUT Updated to Prepar3D v4.5 AFTER that change and performed perfectly. (Also of course 'Repaired' likewise AFTER the move - indeed during the last few days, and as described in my last answer)

P3D - Installation path: F:\FlightSimulators\Prepar3D\Prepar3D.exe (Is that what you mean - where the program is situated on my Computer?)

No - Sorry, I'm not familiar with Windows Registry Editor save for knowing it is there and NOT to touch it for fear of completly trashing my Set-up. (I'm something of a Computer Numpty I'm afraid - being of a certain generation. That said I'm always open to suggestions & distance learning, should you have any suggestions :-)

Yes - I have double checked that I am trying to install the P3D v4 (not v5)

In addition: I did try that Registry Repair Software I mentioned in a previous Post. It worked fine and recorded 'Successful' outcome thereafter. Test Flights of Prepar3D since have shown my Flight Sim to work perfectly.

Many thanks for your help, it really is very much appreciated.
Blue

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Hello again Nick,

Following my reply to you just a few minutes ago (and some research on-line) I looked at my Windows registry (Phew!) If I press all the correct buttons now, and in the right order, I'm going to try to add here a Screen shot.....
Screenshot (378).png
Screenshot (378).png (405.31 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
Mmmm.... I don't know if that worked BUT - the registry layout I could see was almost identical to yours and shows MY Prepar3D as being in my 'D' SSD when infact it is in my 'F' HDD. So I imagine that could be the problem but I've no idea why it is like that, nor how to rectify it. Nor can I fathom IF it is like that, HOW on earth my system runs the Software without a problem!?! - I did say I was a Computer Numpy.

My apologies
Blue

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Blue,

Thanks for the info. Yes, manually moving the installation directory is definitely the culprit here. Windows as an OS really doesn't like this, hence the question in my first post in the thread.

However, it's pretty quick and easy to fix this with the Registry Editor now you've used it, just by editing one character. You simply need to double click on that "SetupPath" entry and edit the "ValueData" field so it contains the correct drive letter, i.e. change it from "D" to "F" in your case.

I'm not sure how the P3D installer kept track of the install location despite the manual drive move, but there may be some sort of search procedure it uses in the event the original install path is invalid.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Hi Nick,

My thanks for your forebearance ;-)

I altered the Register with Regedit as you suggested, changing the 'D' drive part to indicate the 'F' Drive. Unfortunately it made no difference ! However, I re-read all your remarks again, in the various Posts, and gathered you had asked what the Full, Prepar3D, Installation path was for a reason :-) I therefore looked again at what the (then) current Registry entry said and noticed I needed to make other changes to the path - as well as change the drive letter. Goodness knows HOW my P3D Software ran at all!!

SUCCESS.... Having done that, the Accu-Sim P-40 installed without trouble!!! :-) (I had a quick check in P3D to ensure it had actually installed before coming back here to let you know the result :-)

Many, Many THANKS for your help and advice, I am most grateful and I've learned a lot more about my Computer too :-)

Kind Regards,
Blue

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Blue,

You're very welcome and sorry, overlooked the full installation path in your post above or I'd have saved you an extra few moments of head-scratching. Anyway, glad to hear that you've successfully fixed the registry entry for P3D and installed the P-40. Hope you enjoy flying it!

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bluescaster
Airman Basic

Post by Bluescaster »

Hello again Nick,

I just dropped back to let you know, the P-40 has now done a couple of test flights and clearly is a lovely Simulator model. I'm sure I will enjoy flying it.

My Thanks again to you for getting me up and running, not to forget the generosity of A2A for their gift to the Flight Sim. Community. I'm almost certain to be buying more of this type of Simulation.

Good Luck for the future.

Kind Regards,
Blue

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”