A2A Aerostar flights

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
addman
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A Aerostar flights

Post by addman »

What an interesting thread, I'll definitely bookmark this and follow the flight testing progress of your aerostar Scott. Great stuff!
Cheers!/Andreas

Swagger897
Airman

Post by Swagger897 »

MarcE wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:42 Scott,

Great videos, that rudder is tiny!
The rudder is actually the same control surface as the elevators and apparently are interchangeable, but standing next to them they appear much larger. I'd say roughly 50-75% larger than a 172's rudder surface.
A&P

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

This is a really good read on the 700hp varient of the Aerostar. I hope this is the variant we will get. Scott has never really
said which model it is. There was a Turboprop version (the 601P) from 1967 I think. The 700hp model was released in 1981.
I also hope we get a good auto pilot. I was never a fan of the ones in the 172.

To be honest, I am itching to get this plane. I have waited a long long time to get a high performance A2A GA plane
was could hit the mid 200 knots. I'm a bit tired of most GA planes being sub 200 kt.

https://texasaviationlaw.com/wp-content ... -cover.pdf

This is also a very good read. "What's your Mission?" A question a potential Aerostar buyer should ask before buying.

http://aerostar-owners.com/WhatsYourMission.php

While we wait for it, here's a run through of the Checklists of the Aerostar by the Aerostar Pilots Association

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Neon wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 23:58 This is a really good read on the 700hp varient of the Aerostar. I hope this is the variant we will get. Scott has never really
said which model it is. There was a Turboprop version (the 601P) from 1967 I think. The 700hp model was released in 1981.
The real A2A one is the original model 600, I think, with 290 hp IO-540ies on each side. I don't think there was a production turboprop version, but the versions from 601 on were turbocharged. The 'P' signifies that the model is pressurized.

Anyways, it will surely be brilliant!

-Esa

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Swagger897 wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 15:14
MarcE wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:42 Scott,

Great videos, that rudder is tiny!
The rudder is actually the same control surface as the elevators and apparently are interchangeable, but standing next to them they appear much larger. I'd say roughly 50-75% larger than a 172's rudder surface.
Wow okay, I certainly wouldn‘t have expected that 😳. Cool to know, thanks!

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

AKar wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 03:10
Neon wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 23:58 This is a really good read on the 700hp varient of the Aerostar. I hope this is the variant we will get. Scott has never really
The real A2A one is the original model 600, I think, with 290 hp IO-540ies on each side. I don't think there was a production turboprop version, but the versions from 601 on were turbocharged. The 'P' signifies that the model is pressurized.
-Esa
Yes, you are correct. I checked my facts. lol Ted Smith introduced the Turbocharged model in 1969. Anyway, here's something to keep you drooling. An awesome landing. I really
hope A2A make a 700 version as well, it wouldn't take much tweak the numbers so minor variations inside. Nothing beats high and fast in a GA aircraft.

Damn this thing is fast. Check out the landing speed on this tiny runway, and the take off is super cool. :D God I miss flying. :(

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Added third video 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Fantastic video, again!

So much detail do be discussing, even just looking outside.

I have one question, Scott:

"Free" supercharging. I'm simply wondering how it affects the combustion when the air is warmed by coming through the cowling. It might not have an effect, but maybe it does? (I'm sure, and I hope, that Esa will have also some thoughts on this)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Neon wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 06:42 G*d damn this thing is fast. Check out the landing speed on this tiny runway, and the take off is super cool. :D God I miss flying. :(
I don't see any specific forum rules about profanity, but I don't believe this sentence is appropriate for this form. If it is, then I am in the wrong place......
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 09:38
Neon wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 06:42 G*d damn this thing is fast. Check out the landing speed on this tiny runway, and the take off is super cool. :D God I miss flying. :(
I don't see any specific forum rules about profanity, but I don't believe this sentence is appropriate for this form. If it is, then I am in the wrong place......
I edited it out of respect for you but I'm sure you are aware, this is a very widely used term and has two meanings.

One is to curse God in anger like "G*d dammit!". This one is, "G*d, damn that is fast". This is the same as saying "Bruce, damn you are good." Similar to people saying "that is BAAAD!"

We have a no religeous discussion rule on this forum, but the above is discussing our rules on this.

So I would say to anyone reading this, just do your best to not use these two words in the same sentence. My uncle is religious and while I also believe in God, I've been guilty of using this term in anger quite often especially when young, and whenever I said this next to my Uncle John, he would look at me and say, "Scott, you really shouldn't use the Lord's name in vein." So I've tried to remove this from my vocabulary out of respect for those, like "MkIV Hvd" (and my uncle) who are offended by this.

Neon, no worries, you are in no way being reprimended as explained above, so many of us say this without thinking someone may be offended.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Medtner wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 09:29 Fantastic video, again!

"Free" supercharging. I'm simply wondering how it affects the combustion when the air is warmed by coming through the cowling. It might not have an effect, but maybe it does? (I'm sure, and I hope, that Esa will have also some thoughts on this)
If the aircraft is idling with a very slow trickle of air coming through, then it will be heated as some of the heat in the cylinders and engine will dissipate upwards into the incoming air stream. However in flight, the straight shot of air is so fast and air is coming in and down through the cylinders, that the air isn't heated at all. I believe our B-17 includes a simulation of this.

If the engine intake were BELOW the engine cylinders, this is entirely different as you would now be ingesting air after it has passed through the hot cylinder cooling fans.

This ram are on the Aerostar is truly spectacular. I tested this, measured it and coded it into Accu-Sim many years ago as different aircraft have different levels of ram air. The Aerostar, with the double intakes really cram it in like a funnel. Ted Smith was brilliant. I may demonstrate this in the air for our next video, which we plan on including some dev updates.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

You got it Scott!

Question: Will you be simulating the unique issues with the Landing gear of the Aerostar ie lowing them wings level? Any chance of
getting a 700 variant? <wishful thinking> :)

Swagger897
Airman

Post by Swagger897 »

Medtner wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 09:29 Fantastic video, again!

IME I wouldn't say air is warmed at all (to a significant effect to cause a change in combustion*) really. On most Lycoming engines air travels through the oil sump in order to help in cooling the oil. As air temperature rises volumetric efficiency drops = less power produced. It's why on a hot day it may take a longer takeoff roll than it would on a cold day going off of performance numbers alone.
A&P

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Neon wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 10:20 You got it Scott!

Question: Will you be simulating the unique issues with the Landing gear of the Aerostar ie lowing them wings level? Any chance of
getting a 700 variant? <wishful thinking> :)
Yes we will but I need to research this more to see exactly where the failure point is.

As for doing a 700, I'm not sure about that. I flew a 601p and have to say that it was not as responsive as my straight 600. It seemed to require a lot more manifold pressure to hit the same cruise speeds, that likely speaks to the inefficiency of turbocharged engines when low. I'm also not a big fan of turbocharging combustion engines with the higher risk of fire and failure at high altitudes (try to imagine an engine fire at 25,000 ft). If I want to fly high, I like Piper's approach to the Comanche 400 (cubic inches over turbo) or just get a turboprop and do it right, so to speak.

I will be visiting a friend soon who owns a 601p and we will be doing specific tests. After we have that data we will decide if there will be a 601p or 700 variant.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”