Staff Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by flapman »

Yeah that's it.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 13:19 Yeah that's it.
And you are my teacher (lol). Do you think that LOC freq from the runway could be added as a last navaids? I thought to add it, not done yet.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I was be able to land with flight plan SLCB-SLLP but no Glideslope and no red square boxes shown at the end. This is a partial video started from somewhere on airborne as continuation of the flight to end. I had to land visual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u7hwrj ... sp=sharing

You can see at the very end of video the track done.

Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

FlapMan,
I flew with Connie to Toncontin not easy land there, oops! I think a baby was crying (lol).
The flight plan MHSC to MHTG using only one VOR (TNT 112.3/131) landing on runway 02. I had to study the Charts to find the procedures, learning ...
I will fly again to improve my landing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ySYU8F ... sp=sharing
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

is there anything you want to improve? any specific question you have? these are an improvement over when you first started. there is of course room to improve, but that's up to you if you want, and how.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 22:05 is there anything you want to improve? any specific question you have? these are an improvement over when you first started. there is of course room to improve, but that's up to you if you want, and how.
Glad you here, thanks. I am not ready with flying red boxes yet and eventually practicing on it with Trev's lesson. Also, from SLLP after passed the (R) 330KHz radios beacon and near the runway I don't see flying red boxes. So far I understand I will not see red flying boxes if there is no navaids. So, the red flying boxes should be there, correct?
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

When you fly the EHAM practice, Trev has you tune the Localizer (you call ILS) for EHAM 36R. It's Identification is ABA, Frequency 111.95 Mhz, beam course 003M (or 004M or wherever depending on year). Remember?
When you tune a localizer you actually tune up to 3 different receivers, for up to 3 different indicators in the cockpit, remember? VHF Localizer, UHF Glideslope, UHF Distance Measuring Equipment. These three signals are part of the combined system called "Instrument Landing System." There are other parts too.

Study the different options from this screen:

The red boxes are dependent on you receiving the ILS(LOC+GS) signals. The red boxes are the ILS. See how it says "linked to radio"? You choose either NAV1 or NAV2 that flight simulator uses to draw the boxes. If you tune Localizer on NAV2, but have Visual Flight Path set for NAV1 it will draw the boxes for whatever it being received on NAV1. Not NAV2 that you did not tell it to use. See how it says, "Draw guides at this altitude"? They work for Localizer (No GS) and VOR too. But because no glideslope FSX/P3D doesn't know what altitude to draw the boxes, only the location and direction. If VOR it will read the Omnibearing for direction. Localizer projects in 1 direction only. You must manually input the altitude if you want to use these other navaids.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 11:01 When you fly the EHAM practice, Trev has you tune the Localizer (you call ILS) for EHAM 36R. It's Identification is ABA, Frequency 111.95 Mhz, beam course 003M (or 004M or wherever depending on year). Remember?
When you tune a localizer you actually tune up to 3 different receivers, for up to 3 different indicators in the cockpit, remember? VHF Localizer, UHF Glideslope, UHF Distance Measuring Equipment. These three signals are part of the combined system called "Instrument Landing System." There are other parts too.

The red boxes are dependent on you receiving the ILS(LOC+GS) signals. The red boxes are the ILS. See how it says "linked to radio"? You choose either NAV1 or NAV2 that flight simulator uses to draw the boxes. If you tune Localizer on NAV2, but have Visual Flight Path set for NAV1 it will draw the boxes for whatever it being received on NAV1. Not NAV2 that you did not tell it to use. See how it says, "Draw guides at this altitude"? They work for Localizer (No GS) and VOR too. But because no glideslope FSX/P3D doesn't know what altitude to draw the boxes, only the location and direction. If VOR it will read the Omnibearing for direction. Localizer projects in 1 direction only. You must manually input the altitude if you want to use these other navaids.
I do remember EHAM because that is the flight plan I am still practicing the flying red boxes. I will see what I get from SLLP airport. I will enter the altitude into that Visual Flight Path dialog window. It will be NAV1 working too.
Good guidance and help FlapMan.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

When to use the Autopilot Servo Speeds?. I can see Rudder, Aileron and Elevator knobs. I tried with the first control knob (Rudder) to stabilize Connie on airborne during shaking the plane due to winds.
Patricio

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hello to all Pilots, I flew Connie and had to stop because I found something weird. I set NAV1 with the correct frequency and Course. On airborne, Connie was leveled and Sperry autopilot levers activated. I had the correct course set in Autopilot Heading Control but the Dual RMI gauge didn't turn as it should. Is that a bug?

SAWE
PWL 114.9/[email protected]
USU 113.7/[email protected]
SAWH

From Dual RMI gauge the course 285 was up instead of 164 as expected. It was a big difference. Connie was flying to a different direction following Dual RMI. The Autopilot Heading was set as 164. Dual RMI didn't obey Autopilot Heading Control accordingly. This is my first time getting this problem.
Any thoughts?
Patricio

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Was the gyro compass sync'd to the magnetic compass?
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 22:46 Any thoughts?
Patricio
I see 3,000+FT mountains between SAWE and PWL. Have you flown any of the example flights from the navigation flightsim site yet?

I also see that SAWE-NAS (114.10) is a course of 280M. Perhaps you entered the wrong frequency, or the frequencies are different than your flight plan? If you were about 20nm south of SAWE you could see 285 to NAS omni.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 23:04 Was the gyro compass sync'd to the magnetic compass?
Hello Trev, were you been?
Yes, It was the same course as 164
Best,
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 23:09
trisho0 wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 22:46 Any thoughts?
Patricio
I see 3,000+FT mountains between SAWE and PWL. Have you flown any of the example flights from the navigation flightsim site yet?

I also see that SAWE-NAS (114.10) is a course of 280M. Perhaps you entered the wrong frequency, or the frequencies are different than your flight plan? If you were about 20nm south of SAWE you could see 285 to NAS omni.
I never flew outside of P3Dv4 and FSX home PC. Try to find the "bug" from the video here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1veoJ4j ... sp=sharing
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

@25:40 The compass shows about 285. This means you didnt have the gyro compass sync'd. Just as I suspected.
Yes you had set the autopilot heading as 164 but not the gyro compass to match the magnetic compass.
Everytime you start a new flight and every 15 minutes in the air you need to sync the gryo compass.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”