Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 22:28 Tbilisi not hard enough of an airport for you huh?
===>>> Nope, because I want the GlideSlope to work at least to see that at 200ft. Maybe my next try.
trisho0 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 20:56 I am planning to set for Connie Altimeter gauge at 8,400 to Takeoff. I need a cruise at 18,000ft altitude but by adding 8,400 will be 26,400ft total for the cruise. Should I have a cruise of 26,400ft altitude or just stay at 18,000ft altitude as recommended from the Plan-G? The Arrival SLLP airport has 13,324ft altitude AGL. My plan is to do touchdown aiming at 13,300ft.
Pat
I see my student does not like reading his homework... :lol:
===>>> I was reading more concerned to glideslope. I want to go reading step by step. I need to practice with but if I don't get the G/S to work so I can power up/down accordingly. VASI or PAPI not bright enough (lol). I expect the glideslope with 90 Knots and 500fpm.

Have you ever flown your B737 at an altitude like FL264? Does this sound correct to you?
===>>> Not sure about. I could try but I am taking care for Connie. Aircraft 737 can wait. Based on your question then I should think for Connie to do cruise at 18,000ft alt but I have to watch for near mountains around to fly carefully. I mean to do little turns when is needed and then to go back course as I should. It will be not easy.

I am waiting for google to process the previous video to save me the download. Currently flying B.O.A.C flight BA285, LIRA-DNKN according to the 1958 timetable in the B377.
===>>> I hope to see the glideslope and if it is there I can learn more.
From LIRA Rome to DNKN Kano is about 1793nm distance. How long video will be?
Going bed now. Goodnight, rest well.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

FlapMan, I loaded PMDG 737 and with a flight plan SPJC-SCEL and found the plane can go up to FL381 wow! I also found Connie Service ceiling: 24,000 ft.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:40 FlapMan, I loaded PMDG 737 and with a flight plan SPJC-SCEL and found the plane can go up to FL381 wow! I also found Connie Service ceiling: 24,000 ft.
This was not the point I was trying to make with that statement.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:50
trisho0 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:40 FlapMan, I loaded PMDG 737 and with a flight plan SPJC-SCEL and found the plane can go up to FL381 wow! I also found Connie Service ceiling: 24,000 ft.
This was not the point I was trying to make with that statement.
I was answering further to your comment "Have you ever flown your B737 at an altitude like FL264? Does this sound correct to you?"
I didn't fly the B737 with SPJC-SCEL anyway. My plans are for Connie only for now.
Otherwise, I don't understand, sorry.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

FlapMan,
I flew a couple of times and I learned after VOR PAZ navaids 115.7 I should stay on Course for more nm ahead (ie: 5nm) and then to start turning left around to intercept the NDB for a second time in order to land. Otherwise, I will have no time to land after PAZ with or without R (NDB). Maybe I don't even need the NDB navaids. The following images show the end of flight I did, not landed. I knew about GA but I stopped.
So, do you agree my idea to stay on VOR course from PAZ navaids for more nm distance before turning in circle to land?

Pat

EDIT: Did fly and solved.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

That's very well done Pat, nice job!

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 15:31 That's very well done Pat, nice job!
Thanks FlapMan. At least learned when the navaids VOR or NDB is located too close to the landing runway then now I know what to do next. Before I was trying to get the runway as a challenge but the time to get it was too short. Those airports SLLP and also SLCB should relocate theirs radios tower antennas (lol).
Pat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

In fact, there is a given procedure for that kind of approach. Usually the proper ways to enter a given procedure have been figured out for you, removing the need for trial and error. Often there is a racetrack pattern instead, or sometimes a procedure turn.

-Esa

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

AKar wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 22:54 In fact, there is a given procedure for that kind of approach. Usually the proper ways to enter a given procedure have been figured out for you, removing the need for trial and error. Often there is a racetrack pattern instead, or sometimes a procedure turn.

-Esa
Hi Esa, I don't understand very well about Charts but sometimes by looking at, I could figure it out something useful. The image you posted I am not sure if that turn of course 308 is what I should do. I did at 303 and after a minute I turned left to get course 098 for landing. I think eventually I would have to learn Charts as well. This is my first time dealing with the last VOR like that. I figured the turn myself because I couldn't turn to Right for landing. After tried many times on that I decided to change it, turning to the left like doing a GA. Thanks for posting that image Chart. I will see if I can download it from the web.
Pat

EDIT: I found the Charts in Documents folder from the installed Scenery. So, next time if I have a problem with the last VOR then I have to learn the procedure from Charts, cool!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

From the VOR, radial 308 outbound till 8 DME from the PAZ VOR/DME, while descending to 15000 ft. Then a left turn to establish final approach course by 10 DME from the ILPA ILS DME, staying at or above 15000 until intercepting the glideslope by 7.2 DME, again from the ILPA. So note that there are actually two DMEs you'd be following here.

Understanding the basics of the charts and being able to make a mental picture of how to fly through whatever is depicted on them is very helpful for instrument-based simulator adventures.

-Esa

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

AKar wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 02:43 From the VOR, radial 308 outbound till 8 DME from the PAZ VOR/DME, while descending to 15000 ft. Then a left turn to establish final approach course by 10 DME from the ILPA ILS DME, staying at or above 15000 until intercepting the glideslope by 7.2 DME, again from the ILPA. So note that there are actually two DMEs you'd be following here.

Understanding the basics of the charts and being able to make a mental picture of how to fly through whatever is depicted on them is very helpful for instrument-based simulator adventures.

-Esa
Great!, D8.0 PAZ means distance 8nm right? Is it possible to convert it in minutes time? Regarding on intercepting the glideslope by 2.2 DME from runway will be for me a challenge. For some reason, G/S doesn't work for me (lol). I added the "R" (NDB) navaids but no glideslope at all.
Since now I have a better understanding on this Approach procedures I will fly again. Very interesting even more now...
Pat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

trisho0 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 09:40
AKar wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 02:43 From the VOR, radial 308 outbound till 8 DME from the PAZ VOR/DME, while descending to 15000 ft. Then a left turn to establish final approach course by 10 DME from the ILPA ILS DME, staying at or above 15000 until intercepting the glideslope by 7.2 DME, again from the ILPA. So note that there are actually two DMEs you'd be following here.

-Esa
Great!, D8.0 PAZ means distance 8nm right? Is it possible to convert it in minutes time? Regarding on intercepting the glideslope by 2.2 DME from runway will be for me a challenge. For some reason, G/S doesn't work for me (lol). I added the "R" (NDB) navaids but no glideslope at all.
Since now I have a better understanding on this Approach procedures I will fly again. Very interesting even more now...
Pat
Yes, that means 8.0 nm. If the procedure is laid out for using DME, and written as to require DME, timing should not be used in lieu of DME. However, for sim purposes, you can of course estimate your TAS (in knots) and try to fly the procedure accordingly, using timing.

The glideslope intercept should occur at 7.2 DME from the runway when flying at 15000 ft, not 2.2 nm. I guess that was just a typo. Not sure why your G/S shouldn't work, perhaps a scenery issue.

-Esa

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

AKar wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 02:43 Yes, that means 8.0 nm. If the procedure is laid out for using DME, and written as to require DME, timing should not be used in lieu of DME. However, for sim purposes, you can of course estimate your TAS (in knots) and try to fly the procedure accordingly, using timing.

The glideslope intercept should occur at 7.2 DME from the runway when flying at 15000 ft, not 2.2 nm. I guess that was just a typo. Not sure why your G/S shouldn't work, perhaps a scenery issue.

-Esa
Yep, I meant 7.2 DME instead of 2.2 sorry. I will give practicing on it. Recently I flew MHSC-MHTG and it was about the same, no G/S. I must be missing something. It can't be 2 sceneries with the same G/S problem. Such problem is coming from my mistake on something. I am still practicing with Approach including the FSX red squared boxes. While I am not getting the G/S as expected it is obvious I won't get G/S on another flight, no matter what scenery.
Regarding on the timing, never mind then it's not real. I will have to figure the D8.0 PAZ on the way.
Based on this dialog, I will see what I get from this flight plan of SLCB-SLLP trying to intercept the G/S at 7.2 DME.
Pat

EDIT:
I found the way to get the remaining DME info for landing. What happen is just passed the last VOR (PAZ 115.7) the DME starts increasing the DME counting. So, when I see 8nm then I do turn to the left and continue with the Approach procedure according to the Chart. I flew but still no G/S. Maybe next flight, later ...
Last edited by trisho0 on 07 Oct 2020, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Does anybody know how to use Plan-G to find the localizer frequency? Seems his latest issue is finding that info.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 12:07 Does anybody know how to use Plan-G to find the localizer frequency? Seems his latest issue is finding that info.
I opened Plan-G then load the flight plan or just add the ICAO as new plan. Later, magnify the runway to maximum, right click on the runway and you get the LOC frequency. Is that what you are looking for?
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”