Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 17:16
trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 16:21
OK, if NDB is not ILS why a Captain will use a navaids that never will give DME?
Captain want's to find ILS beams, not mountains at night or in fog. DME reads the same at both places.

Distance RJTT to Mihara VHF Omni Range (OSE 109.85) = 50nm. DME reads 50nm and it is time to turn.
Distance RJTT to top of Mount Fuji = 53nm. DME reads 53nm and you are dead.

Legal and safe departure from Kobe has DME counter go up. It must go up. You will learn this.
===>>> Now, this part is getting interesting. I do turns right after passing the expected navaids to the new course accordingly. But, following your second line about distance RJTT to Mount Fuji is dangerous. I guess we are safe if we fly at the recommended altitude.
VOR gives me DME so I know how far I am from the destination airport.
You will miss ILS. That's why Trev gave you and NV at EHAM. VOR and DME will be no help to you. Remember how you got lost EDFE to EHAM? You had DME entire time.. didn't help. You got lost. Simple NV NDB has no DME yet you find 36R ILS every day. Which is better for Connie captain?
===>>> I think now good idea to add a NDB radios beacon at the end of each flight plan. Even though, I flew before VOR 2 VOR and I was be able to find the airport and landed.
NDB doesn't give DME.
We are over the top of CL NDB in Japan and you ask me the distance to RJTT. I can tell you this exactly. Nobody needs a rotating DME counter to know the answer.
===>>> I understand. By looking at the Plan-G map we can figure the distance. Still, DME is very useful with my flights telling me where I am.
But yes, now I think since the NDB usually is located at front of the ILS then I am flying ILS....... I guess.
What is the name of the NDB in front of RJBE ILS 09? There is none. Many have no NDB. Many ILS have no DME either. Neither is required. Following a VOR course is required.
===>>> I understand. ILS is landing system not a navaids. NDB guide me to be on ILS. I think I got it.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

FlapMan, How do you handle the G/S?
Nick sent me a link http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ and I found tracking the glide slope is identical to tracking a localizer. If the glide-slope needle swings away from center—up or down—maneuver the aircraft towards the needle by adjusting the engine's power. Don't point the aircraft's nose up or down.
I am new on this procedure with G/S forwarding the GlideSlope needle and maneuvering just with MP power? I don't see how can be leveled the glideslope.
Do you keep glideslope just only with MP power?
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 395
Joined: 10 Oct 2013

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post flapman »

trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 21:07
FlapMan, How do you handle the G/S?
Smoothly. By thinking ahead. By making a change before I need it, watching to make sure the change I wanted is happening. And making any further corrections as needed.
Nick sent me a link http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ and I found tracking the glide slope is identical to tracking a localizer.
I've sent you that link twice now, Pat. This is now the 4th link to that site in this thread. There is an image from that site in this thread too. I posted it. Perhaps Nick would have better luck than I...
I am new on this procedure with G/S forwarding the GlideSlope needle and maneuvering just with MP power? I don't see how can be leveled the glideslope.
You really need to start that website from Page 1. Do you have the A2A Cessna or A2A Piper Cub?
Do you keep glideslope just only with MP power?
If I can, then yes. If not, then no. Large piston engines are expensive and complicated. There can be many rules on their operation. You may want to set a MP for glideslope but you cannot do so.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 22:20
trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 21:07
FlapMan, How do you handle the G/S?
Smoothly. By thinking ahead. By making a change before I need it, watching to make sure the change I wanted is happening. And making any further corrections as needed.
Nick sent me a link http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ and I found tracking the glide slope is identical to tracking a localizer.
I've sent you that link twice now, Pat. This is now the 4th link to that site in this thread. There is an image from that site in this thread too. I posted it. Perhaps Nick would have better luck than I...
I am new on this procedure with G/S forwarding the GlideSlope needle and maneuvering just with MP power? I don't see how can be leveled the glideslope.
You really need to start that website from Page 1. Do you have the A2A Cessna or A2A Piper Cub?
Do you keep glideslope just only with MP power?
If I can, then yes. If not, then no. Large piston engines are expensive and complicated. There can be many rules on their operation. You may want to set a MP for glideslope but you cannot do so.
Yes, I have the A2A Cessna C172 Professional FSX P3Dv4 why? I don't have the A2A Piper Cub, I may get it for fun.
With Connie I feel very comfortable with what I learned so far. I don't want to use Cessna just to learn G/S should I?
I will take my time to visit that navfltsm site and to read the whole pages. As I found the G/S I am sure I will find more and more to learn.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 395
Joined: 10 Oct 2013

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post flapman »

trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 22:39
I don't want to use Cessna just to learn G/S should I?
No, you don't have to if you don't want to. Using MP to correct GS will work just fine in the Lockheed as it will the Cessna.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 22:54
trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 22:39
I don't want to use Cessna just to learn G/S should I?
No, you don't have to if you don't want to. Using MP to correct GS will work just fine in the Lockheed as it will the Cessna.
Let me ask if you don't mind, are you a real Pilot, former or student with airplanes. I don't qualify to be a Pilot and is too late so I enjoy sim. Connie is real one I love it.
Rest well and relaxed.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 395
Joined: 10 Oct 2013

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post flapman »

trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 23:05
Let me ask if you don't mind, are you a real Pilot, former or student with airplanes.
I will always be a student with airplanes. They really should tell you that when you start! And yes, I do have some piece of plastic somewhere that says I am a pilot on it. :mrgreen:
I don't qualify to be a Pilot and is too late so I enjoy sim.
It's too late for me as well. I believe L-049 made it's last flight before I was born.
Connie is real one I love it.
Agreed. These are some of the most demanding aircraft to fly, and the most interesting to fly, even in the virtual world. I wonder, other than the obvious, what made you choose the Constellation? You seem to have all your experience with modern FMC equipped jets. When did you decide to try piston propeller?
Rest well and relaxed.
Pat
Thank you, and for you the same. Ask if there's anything else you have a problem with, or would like an opinion. I'm glad we could get you to the point where you can safely fly A-to-B, see the airport, and land at it.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 19:35
trisho0 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 23:05
Let me ask if you don't mind, are you a real Pilot, former or student with airplanes.
I will always be a student with airplanes. They really should tell you that when you start! And yes, I do have some piece of plastic somewhere that says I am a pilot on it. :mrgreen:
===>>> Then Congrats!
I don't qualify to be a Pilot and is too late so I enjoy sim.
It's too late for me as well. I believe L-049 made it's last flight before I was born.
===>>> Barely you could remember that (lol).
Connie is real one I love it.
Agreed. These are some of the most demanding aircraft to fly, and the most interesting to fly, even in the virtual world. I wonder, other than the obvious, what made you choose the Constellation? You seem to have all your experience with modern FMC equipped jets. When did you decide to try piston propeller?
===>>> Well, Years ago I started with Jets equipped with FMC as PMDG and some others crafts. Also, I had Connie installed but never tried until last March. I thought, don't give up and try something with and watching tutorial videos on how to crank the engines. It took me a while to get it until I found this thread. I learned much more from this thread than any other tutorials. Thanks to Trev and yourself. Also, I am reading (occasionally (lol)) some info from websites and still.
Rest well and relaxed.
Pat
Thank you, and for you the same. Ask if there's anything else you have a problem with, or would like an opinion. I'm glad we could get you to the point where you can safely fly A-to-B, see the airport, and land at it.
===>>> I flew a short flight time with EDDK to EHAM.
Video is only the last part (7min)

EDDK
DUS 115.15/[email protected]
PAM 117.8/[email protected]
WP 376 KHZ/[email protected]
EHAM ILS rwy27 (111.55/268)

Disregard my mistake when banking over than 60 degrees, distracted with video recording (lol).
Comments are welcome to learn.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/155VsFx ... sp=sharing
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

FlapMan, Just watched A2A L-049 Constellation titled as - First Look - EHAM-EGPF Leg1 from Youtube.com. According to the flight plan the Captain didn't use NDB navaids but VOR to VOR. Is it normal the Glideslope becomes un-flagged from the Omnibearing ILS gauge?
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 395
Joined: 10 Oct 2013

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post flapman »

Hi Pat,
trisho0 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 22:51
According to the flight plan the Captain didn't use NDB navaids but VOR to VOR. Is it normal the Glideslope becomes un-flagged from the Omnibearing ILS gauge?
Pat
Can you explain what you mean by this? I found the video. Perhaps give me a time in the video that this happens?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 23:11
Hi Pat,
trisho0 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 22:51
According to the flight plan the Captain didn't use NDB navaids but VOR to VOR. Is it normal the Glideslope becomes un-flagged from the Omnibearing ILS gauge?
Pat
Can you explain what you mean by this? I found the video. Perhaps give me a time in the video that this happens?
Hello FlapMan, sure here it goes the fun. From video after 1:56:35 it will show his Plan-G map so you can see the flight plan. After time 1:56:55 the Captain switches from VOR2 to VOR1 and right there you can see the ILS with the Glideslope unflagged nicely. The Glideslope showing unflagged at 3,000ft altitude? I never had such G/S like that. I know the G/S is unflagged using NDB navaids but not with VOR. So, is it normal the Glideslope becomes unflagged from that Captain's flight?
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 395
Joined: 10 Oct 2013

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post flapman »

trisho0 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 09:56
The Glideslope showing unflagged at 3,000ft altitude? I never had such G/S like that.
What is the problem with seeing a G/S needle at 3,000ft? Does the problem relate to where he is when he receives it? Or the altitude? You have on many cases received a glideslope at altitudes higher than 3,000ft so I don't understand this statement.
I know the G/S is unflagged using NDB navaids but not with VOR.
On last page we talked that NDB and Glideslope have no connection. You explained that you had learned this. You said, "I understand. ILS is landing system not a navaids. NDB guide me to be on ILS. I think I got it."

Are you asking, "how does he find Glideslope with no NDB?"
So, is it normal the Glideslope becomes unflagged from that Captain's flight?
Pat
It appears okay. We never actually see him tune or identify the ILS on NAV2, but no reason to assume anything is broken.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 11:31
Are you asking, "how does he find Glideslope with no NDB?"
Correct, I flew many times with VOR to VOR and I had to see the runway on the side to start aligning the plane for landing. With NDB I can be at front of the runway instead on the side with VOR. That Captain was lucky to see the runway straight to land. He even didn't need the NDB navaids. I thought NDB is a good help for ILS straight landing.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 395
Joined: 10 Oct 2013

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post flapman »

trisho0 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 12:31
Correct,
Excellent!
He's flying a visual traffic pattern without visual references. A very "flight simulator" procedure.
At 1:56:06 he says, "Hi folks and now I'm on my downwind leg... the airport is over off behind me on my left (turns to look at it)" This is a part of a rectangular traffic pattern. The equivalent of the 180° heading for your EHAM practice.
At 1:57:23 he says, "and you can see my glideslope coming up to meet me (at 3,000ft)... as the glide slope comes up we know that we are getting further and further away from the runway."
At 1:57:54 he brings up Plan-G, and with his mouse draws the intended flight path. "See I'm going to come around, and turn, and come in..." His mouse ends at the start of the green Localizer feather.
He then makes the turn as he briefed it, finds the localizer, glideslope, then runway.

We don't get to see how he gets from FL240 on the east coast of the UK to the left hand downwind leg of Glasgow Runway 23, but I can make some educated guess based on the aircraft track displayed in Plan-G.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 643
Joined: 31 Mar 2018

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post trisho0 »

flapman wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 14:24
trisho0 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 12:31
Correct,
Excellent!
He's flying a visual traffic pattern without visual references. A very "flight simulator" procedure.
At 1:56:06 he says, "Hi folks and now I'm on my downwind leg... the airport is over off behind me on my left (turns to look at it)" This is a part of a rectangular traffic pattern. The equivalent of the 180° heading for your EHAM practice.
At 1:57:23 he says, "and you can see my glideslope coming up to meet me (at 3,000ft)... as the glide slope comes up we know that we are getting further and further away from the runway."
At 1:57:54 he brings up Plan-G, and with his mouse draws the intended flight path. "See I'm going to come around, and turn, and come in..." His mouse ends at the start of the green Localizer feather.
He then makes the turn as he briefed it, finds the localizer, glideslope, then runway.

We don't get to see how he gets from FL240 on the east coast of the UK to the left hand downwind leg of Glasgow Runway 23, but I can make some educated guess based on the aircraft track displayed in Plan-G.
He was flying VOR 2 VOR and after the glideslope came up he handled the approach nicely. I was just a bit confused on why the G/S unflagged but I understood now. So, G/S has nothing to do with navaids, correct?
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest