FS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

FS2020

Post by guillaume78150 »

I wanted to have a look at the new MS sim. Problem, my HD is almost full, so, I uninstalled P3D and some hundereds of Gig of sceneries. But the installation process stalls on a black screen "Hit any key to continue".
I looked on some MS support forums, but no solution. I'm now with an almost empty HD but no sim... And reinstalling P3D and all that Orbx stuff...:roll:

Buffy Foster

Re: FS2020

Post by Buffy Foster »

There's a big update today, so it might just be that the servers are slow to connect. Kinda early to give up on it; I have it and it's working real nice. :)

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Two attempted flights since the install today of update 1.9.3.......Both resulted in CTD about 7 minutes after takeoff. Two different aircraft, KARR to KPIA, clear sky, no real wind, nothing funny. Did notice that the mouse changed 'habits'. I went to zoom in on the altitude knob and the mouse acted quite different, and returned to center by itself, then the CTD. HEADS UP !
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

I guess what I don’t quite understand is upon release it worked fine for me, yes there were bugs and such with gps, ATC, knobs missing not working etc etc. I was completing one to two hour flights from point A to point B. Since 1.8.3, crash after crash, some to desktop top, others to blue MS screen that shuts down and reboots my computer. Can not complete even a short flight. Here comes 1.9.3 today. Made one short ten minute flight with the C152. Next three flights crash to the dreaded blue screen then a reboot.

I’m not picking on you Buffy, but my computer stats are not too bad at all, yet it’s running quite nice on your system. What are you doing differently, or your system, that allows it to run quite nice. I don’t get it. I have an outstanding internet service too, probably better than average. Any input would sure be appreciated.

Can anyone offer any ideas here? The Zendesks best answer for crashes is to uninstall then reinstall and a few other steps I’ve taken. Apparently, it runs well for others and bad for others. It looks and works great while it’s running, then it crashes. I just don’t get it.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I think if you're getting a blue screen then something else is wrong rather than MSFS? It could be putting enough load on your PC to trigger that something else, though. Like, a lot of people have had better luck by not doing any o/c on their GPU, and lowering or removing any o/c on thier CPU. Even lowering their RAM o/c, even if they have XMP cuz I guess the profiles can be too much for heavy loads. I use that RivaTuner that comes with Afterburner to cap my fps at 30, which still is nice and smooth but also leaves my GPU running at 60-70% or so. Some stuff like volumetric clouds and terrain shadows I have turned down to medium.

I'm not really an expert on PCs or anything; my dad helped me build mine and set it all up (means I had to do the work while he taught me :D).

Oh Dad just suggested putting more aggressive fan profiles on your case fans. Since you're using water cooling on your CPU, you're actually getting less airflow over your RAM, which might be overheating and causing the crash. Mine is air cooled (CoolerMaster MasterAirMaker 8 ) with higher fan profiles for everything. Still nice and quiet but moves lots of air (CoolerMaster M500P case with 6x 140mm fans). Since MSFS really works your PC hard, plenty of air is important, even if water cooling, he said. Also if your GPU is the kind that recirculates the air inside the case, that case airflow is super important too. My 1080Ti is the FE with the blower type so it sends its hot air out the back.

I hope you can get things running nice! :)

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I think there's just all kinds of randomness with MSFS regarding people's rigs. My system is lower than Heidi's, only have an i-5 7600K OCd to 4.8, the regular 1080, and 32 GB of pretty slow 2400 DDR4 RAM, with a 100 Mbps connection. Yet I was flying over Tokyo yesterday at 40 fps with a sky full of clouds, though not overcast/foggy. Zero stutters, no crashes, GPU at 60-70%, CPU at 40-50%. All of my settings are either High or Ultra, sliders at 100. Oh yeah, I don't fly anything with that stupid G1000, only steam gauges for me. I think that makes a huge difference. And photogrammetry off, hate the appearance. Both updates have really improved my experience from the initial install, which was a slideshow half the time.
Last edited by patful on 30 Sep 2020, 08:37, edited 2 times in total.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

wblackret wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 23:19 I guess what I don’t quite understand is upon release it worked fine for me, yes there were bugs and such with gps, ATC, knobs missing not working etc etc. I was completing one to two hour flights from point A to point B. Since 1.8.3, crash after crash, some to desktop top, others to blue MS screen that shuts down and reboots my computer. Can not complete even a short flight. Here comes 1.9.3 today. Made one short ten minute flight with the C152. Next three flights crash to the dreaded blue screen then a reboot.
Mine has been running just fine since the initial install, even after 1.8.3 up until yesterday...
I went on a flight in the Pitts and it crashed when I pressed "V" to look at the map for about the third time. No blue screen, just flash and desktop. The second flight crashed as soon I pushed V right after takeoff. On the third trip, I got smarter and tried V on the ground and it worked fine. Once airborne the map worked but the track line was weirdly doubled and wavy and not a solid line. The third time I pushed V the sim crashed...the same way every time with no blue screen, just gone... :roll:

I pretty sure my issue is not hardware related as your is quite likely not as well. My new computer is a Ryzen 9 3950X with 64gb ram and a Rog Strix RTX20180ti.

So, dang!! All I have to fly now is my warbirds and Bonanza in V5 with True Earth and TrueSky...oh well... :cry: :wink:
Honestly it looks very close to MSFS to me...and it has a Civ Mustang, so I'm good for months if need be... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Yeah that built-in VFR map is on the Known Issues list now, IDK why they released it with that bug. :(

OTOH, I never used that map, just have SkyVector on another screen and navigate the old school way my dad taught me to. :)

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Buffy Foster wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:28 Yeah that built-in VFR map is on the Known Issues list now, IDK why they released it with that bug. :(

OTOH, I never used that map, just have SkyVector on another screen and navigate the old school way my dad taught me to. :)
Well that's good to know as I've used it since day one and it was never an issue until yesterday. I always have Skyvector open as well but the internal map is handy too.
Sounds like your Daddy taught you properly at least... :wink: :D
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Well, I’m back in business (knock on wood). Jetline dialed into my computer and did some stress testing. Turns out Core 3 would take a short nap every now and then. Never noticed anything in P3D v 4.5 or FSXSE, but apparently it was just enough of a hiccup to throw the MS Blue screen and auto reboot. They did some tweaking, dialed the CPU OC back a bit, did some more stress testing and that seemed to straighten it out. Since then I’ve completed about 5 hours of flights in MSFS(2020) without any crash to desktop or blue screen crash. Who’d a thunk? Running mostly high-end settings and a few ultra, looks good and runs smooth. A few terrain glitches here and there, but that will be corrected along the way.

Buffy, you and your dad hit the nail on the head. Thanks to all for your thoughts and replies. Like a wise young lady once said, “It works real nice for me.”

See ya all in the air!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I'm glad they got you flying again! \o/ I always hear good things form ppl about that Jetline Systems! :)

I put some links on another thread here for some community mods to make the G36 tolerable:

G36 Community Mod
https://github.com/TheFrett/msfs_g36_project

G1000 Community Mod
https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-M ... s/releases

I tried out this XCub mod too, and it's really nice and they have a ton of paints for it too:
https://www.bushleaguelegends.com/addons/msfs/msfs-mods

Hopefully more planes with proper gauges will come before long. :)

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

wblackret wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 23:02 Buffy, you and your dad hit the nail on the head. Thanks to all for your thoughts and replies. Like a wise young lady once said, “It works real nice for me.”

See ya all in the air!
Great to hear you got it sorted out, yay Buffy and dad!! I too, after a quick uninstall/reinstall and the deletion of the "V" key assignment, am back to where “It works real nice for me.” :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

guillaume78150 wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 12:20 I wanted to have a look at the new MS sim. Problem, my HD is almost full, so, I uninstalled P3D and some hundereds of Gig of sceneries. But the installation process stalls on a black screen "Hit any key to continue".
I looked on some MS support forums, but no solution. I'm now with an almost empty HD but no sim... And reinstalling P3D and all that Orbx stuff...:roll:
A couple of things.
1: I bought a 1TB SSD solely for MFS thinking it will fill up pretty quick. It didn't. If you have a GOOD internet connection everything is streamed, not stored on your SSD. Delivery is a smooth as a baby's bottom. (Can you still say that and offend someone?) Out of 931GB I still have 790GB left. I've added a load of scenery etc.
2: Much screaming about Hit any key. Am I right in thinking that everyone with that issue simply pounds away at their keyboard? Click on the screen preferably just below the 'Hit any key' text.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

MSFS forums are a hot mess with so many babies and trolls on there. :'(

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've read that you need to load the map as soon as the sim loads, or it may well crash. I still haven't made the move as I'm waiting for it to settle down more. Every updated seems to be 2 steps forward and at least 1 back. Maybe by Christmas?? Just don't ask which year, though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”