Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Engine RPM mismatch after startup

Post by trisho0 »

Hi Flapman, I appreciate your point of view and analysis with my journey done recently. I will check on this again. Many thanks

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

You're making excellent progress. Here are some further tips to help increase enjoyment.

1. Modern jet transports park with their nose facing the terminal (often with a jet bridge). This is done for a variety of reasons. Post deregulation airport congestion has increased the demands on terminal space. But probably more importantly, the blast of jet engines can damage terminal equipment, personnel, and passengers. The airplane is pushed away from the terminal and onto the taxiway by a push tug, where it's jet blast can safely dissipate. Propeller airlines (propliners) work on different principles. Propeller driven engines move a larger volume of air at slower speeds, vs. a jet which accelerates a smaller volume of air at much higher speeds. Instead of jetblast being a safety risk, "propwash" dissipates very quickly, and poses a minor inconvenience as it blows hats off heads and papers around.

The point is that the Lockheed L-049 was never designed with the modern push back procedure in mind. Propliners were never really moved backwards either before or after engine start. Towing was overwhelmingly a part of maintenance or storage, not flight operations. Look at the location of the main passenger door for clues. If you nose it in like a modern jet, passengers from the terminal have to walk to the nose of the aircraft, around or below the wing (and engines and propellers) to reach the stairs at the back. That just doesn't make much sense.

The constellation might be about to park, but the 3 parked Douglas's are turned abeam the terminal with the door and stairs facing the terminal. That looks so much better, doesn't it?

Ideally, this is how you should start and end every propliner flight. Unfortunately our flight simulators aren't really built for propliners, and will spawn us like jets.. but it's easy to fix. The easiest way to get started like this is to spawn the Constellation, then quickly enable SLEW and rotate the aircraft nose to the right. Done. At the end of the flight, don't park with the nose facing the terminal. Do it like the Constellation, make a right turn immediately before you stop. Looks much better than watching propliners being pushed back.

2. I think you're getting along just fine with the VOR operation (you could do a little improvement on staying exactly on route). Time to put away the GPS map. You're already making great progress with the Sperry.. go all the way!

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi Flapman, I understand, Connie is not a jet yet (lol) but propliner I know that. I didn't know that Connie rarely is pushed back as with Jets. So, I will have to select the parking space in a way to start moving forward instead waiting for moving backward, interesting point. For Arrivals I could find more easily the last final park position in the airport but without GSX2, good idea.

GSX2 will not be a good using with Connie. Example, I learned that PAX before boarding the plane I should wait for a nice temperature inside via engines starting 3 and 4 and to shutdown GPU. GSX2 will not allow me to use Pax boarding if engines are running. I think GSX2 is not designed for propliner Birds. I love Pax from GSX2 they show up. You don't see passengers boarding without GSX2.

Connie parked with the door and stairs facing the Terminal, cool! and yes, it makes sense looking better of course.

Time ago I tried SLEW and it didn't work for me. But again, I can find the space for Connie to load.
From VOR practice I flew probably four or five times and unfortunately not landing centered on the runway. So, practice and more practice .... it's fun! I am still depending on the use of the GPS. Because, I can't find yet let's say, no GPS working; I take-off, climbing trimming and level the plane, Autopilot activated and flying VOR1.

On journey, I don't know when will be the time to change VOR1 to VOR2 and viceversa if no GPS on hand, see now? I could follow the little gauge to see the remaining nm distance but when is time to make Left or Right? In order to stay straight ahead like following "magenta" in my mind as GPS will not be right. (lol). I think with some more FPL eventually I could stop GPS after learning more.

Patricio

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

One tip on slewing. Unless there is absolutely NO input from a joystick axis you will be unable to slew accurately.

What you should do is go to the Controls page, select Slew Mode, then REMOVE all entries related to your joystick.

Instead, use your NUM PAD to move in slew mode. You can them slew very precisely. The '5' key stops the movement.
The 1 & 3 keys will rotate your aircraft. 4 & 6, left and right. 8 & 2 forward and back.

Using the VOR's or NDB's for navigation is quite straight forward. Assuming you have tuned the VHF 1 and 2 or
ADF 1 or 2 to the stations you wish to navigate to, you select them for viewing on the RMI gauge using the 2 switches
labeled RMI on the glare shield in front of the pilots seat. The left switch selects VOR 1 or ADF 1 and the right hand switch
selects VOR 2 or ADF 2. If the tuned and selected VOR or ADF is active the needle on the RMI will point to the station.
VOR 1/ADF 1 will drive the 'single needle' while VOR 2/ADF 2 drives the 'double needle'.

The ships heading will be displayed at the 12 o'clock position of the RMI and the needle(s) will point to your selected station(s).

Assume you wish to fly to and beyond the VOR 1 station, simply turn the aircraft until the VOR 1 needle is 'straight ahead.

As you pass OVER that station the needle will momentarily go to the 'no station' position and then turn to point BEHIND your
aircraft. At this time you should have switched to the next NavAid on your flight plan.

On the pilots panel below the ILS gauge and next to the Heading Indicator you will see a switch labels VOR1 - VOR2.
The selected VOR will drive the ILS needle or the DME guage depending upon what type of station you have tuned.

If you monitor the DME on the way to a DVOR ahead, you can begin to set up to turn to the next station
using the RMI needles as a guide. I usually start my turns around 3 miles out from the station ahead if it will
not be too drastic a change of heading in which case I start the turn sooner.

If you are tuned to an ILS Localizer, the RMI will not display the direction to the station but the ILS gauge will display your deviation from the Localizer Heading (the vertical needle) and Glide Slope (the Horizontal needle) as long as you have
the correct VOR radio selected by the switch below the ILS gauge.

One other point, if you create and load a flight plan you can use the Navigators map to assist you in navigation. It will show the airports, NDBs, Vors and DVORs as well as the flight plan, your heading and your track. It also shows the single and
double needles of the tuned stations VORs in RED and the tuned ADFs in GREEN. The map is centered on your aircraft with North
at the top. You can switch on range rings and a compass rose as well. Quite handy.

Paul

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I flew right now another FPL, LPPS to LPMA and I had to use the GPS because I didn't find radios frequency but course. From Charts I didn't see that info and only I found was the LPMA Madeira has frequency of 112.20 if I am right. So, I tried that to do approach and landing. It was little dark outside (lol). Here it goes ...and sorry it was an intruder at the end ...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1upzUk_ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by trisho0 on 02 Aug 2020, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hello Paul, SLEW not working for me but that's OK. I find Connie loaded and parked as expected and ready to forward ahead. I never tried VHF1 or ADF1 before. I will take a note of your guidance I know will help me a lot. So, if I don't have frequency info to enter into NAV1 or NAV2, I can use VHF or ADF? Or do I have to tune COM? I feel like I am ignorant, sorry about it's just me.
I use flight plan created with the sim, can be FSX or P3Dv4.5 I check with Youtube about VHF and ADF, interesting. But I want to advance step by step. I can't learn too fast .... Thanks so much.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I went through this flight and made notes as I watched. Dont be alarmed at the amount I wrote as these will come with practice. You are already using plenty of switches with confidence now. For the next few flights you can refer to this list and your flying will become much more polished and then you will be ready to begin your 'Career'.
Well done for tackling a night flight in a complex plane you are learning. :)

Dont switch on lights until you need them : For taxi - Taxi Lights, On entering runway - Strobes, landing lights
Looks like you didnt turn on the instrument and compass lights.
You can click on the base of each control column to hide them. Makes it easier to see the gauges.
Instead of referring to VHF, say COM1/2 or NAV1/2. They both use VHF but serve different purposes.
I dont think I saw you set the 112.2 FUN VOR but it seems a needle to pointing towards it. You could have turned the plane towards the needle to overfly FUN.
Remember to set the fire extinguisher selector before starting each engine.
Set throttle to about 10% before starting, then set 1000RPM after start.
Check the oil and fuel pressure gauges up top (when you hear 'oil pressure ok') after each engine start. Shutdown if low oil pressure.
Check you are generating power from the running engines before discoonecting the GPU.
Slow the taxi down, especially around corners.
Before takoff checks to be performed, but that is a big bit of learning that can be saved for later when you are comfortable.
Cowl flaps need setting for takeoff.
Take off can be run up to 46" MP. This will be good practice for getting into and out of shorter airports. The end of the runway comes up fast.
Practice flying level wings after takeoff, maintain runway heading initially and pitch for 1000 ft/min. At night you need to be looking at the instruments in front of you.
Either in the climb or at cruise, adjust your prop RPM's at the engineer station to match No.1. (after setting the autopilot)
Once all props are matched, the switch on the centre console adjusts all prop RPM's together.
Then adjust throttles to give required BMEP.
Climb power is 2300RPM at 145 BMEP (engineers panel) manual pg 137
Cruise power is 1840RPM and 141 BMWEP and changes with higher altitude. manual pg 138/139
Intersect the magenta line at 30-45 degrees to prevent overshooting the line instead of 90 as it was in this flight.
Not sure what happened at 18:15 to cause the pitch up. Looks like the trim was out and you were using the pitch knob to change things. If things get out of control, disconnect the clutches like you did but only pitch forward until straight and level, then sort out what needs to be done next, like reset the pitch to match the indicator in the Sperry AP. Pitching down steeply is not good. Also, make the GPS disappear so you can see the controls you need access to.
Cowl flaps should be closed when reducing power during the descent and opened fully on the ground.
pg132 Approach - flaps 40 until landing is assured and then full flap. You had full flaps a long way from the runway.
The 4 red PAPI lights on the left of the runway indicate you are too low. The correct gluideslope is 2 white/2 red.
Try to get on runway centreline much further out and stay there, then the focus can be given to speed and descent rate.
At 20ft you should be coming off the power and letting it slowly settle. Watch the pitching carefully at this point because pitching up/down wont give the desired smooth landing.
When you set the park brake the engines were only at 600 RPM. Always run them at 1000 RPM to prevent the spark plugs from fouling.
Leave the cowl flaps fully open after shutdown to allow the engines to cool.
Cheers
Trev

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

On Skyvector, click on the link below. On some charts, for example you can see on the airway V21 starting from HEC, moving towards BLD you will fine a black zigzag shape and two numbers, 83 and 23.
This is the point where you would shift from following the outbound radial from HEC at 23nm and begin following the inbound radial to BLD at 83nm to go. This would indicate the radio signal/accuracy is stronger from BLD than HEC. It might also be a comm's issue also.
If there isnt this shape, assume changeover half way along the leg between the VOR's.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.4136765231 ... BLD%20KLAS
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Also, at LPPS try using the full runway length. Your takeoffs from there look very tight.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hello Trev glad to see you again.
I will pay attention on the Lights as you said. Taxi=Taxi lights. Strobe and landing lights on entering rwy. I thought Strobe is for alerting to other Captains on airborne especially at night.
I know hitting on the Control column it hides but I think is more fun to leave it alone.
Understood about COM or NAV so no concerns about VHF for now. I thought I entered the frequency 112.20 didn't I? I have to check the video, I should have entered the frequency in NAV1.
Settings the Fire Extinguisher from the front upper panel, should I change the position switch accordingly just before start engines? Example, Fire Extinguisher position to "3" just before crancking engine 3 and so on, correct?
I do setting Throttle around 10% before starting and the RPM gauge has already 1K revolution but I adjust to 2.2K revolution after Take-Off.
Checking Oil gauges I can see the needles are positioned in the green range. So, if Oil needles are out of the green then shutdown, I got it.
Check generating power from the running engines before disconnecting the GPU....where to check?
Adjusting the prop RPM's at the engineer station to match No.1. (after setting the autopilot) I don't understand this step, what is match 1?
Cruise power: should I change from 2.2K to lower it to 1840RPM and leave it as is for all the journey? I think I need to get RPM back to 2.2K right before Approach, not sure.
I closed the Cowl Flaps after flaps up in Approach state and also I activated the Aux Fuel Pumps switches as well.
Flaps 40? that is Approach right? Should I do full flap at touchdown on the runway? If so, the time to stop the plane will be slower.
PAPI lights at 2 interesting, understood this part. 1 light I am too high and 4 lights, too low..... cool! thanks!
At 20ft landing with throttle off and letting go a smooth touchdown, understand.
I will check always to keep 1K RPM. I left Cowl flaps opened after arrived and parked before shutdown the engines.
I think I got plenty instructions for learning. I think I am in the American University now (lol).
You have a great knowledge and flying 377? Better stay with Connie too. I recommend this plane is so realistic.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 02:36 On Skyvector, click on the link below. On some charts, for example you can see on the airway V21 starting from HEC, moving towards BLD you will fine a black zigzag shape and two numbers, 83 and 23.
This is the point where you would shift from following the outbound radial from HEC at 23nm and begin following the inbound radial to BLD at 83nm to go. This would indicate the radio signal/accuracy is stronger from BLD than HEC. It might also be a comm's issue also.
If there isnt this shape, assume changeover half way along the leg between the VOR's.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.4136765231 ... BLD%20KLAS
I was looking at that SkyVector image and I found Boulder City (BLD) and changed the route directly to Las Vegas. But I don't see the two numbers, 83 and 23. Also I think my FPL started with KVCV and not with KAPV as shown. I think anyway can be either Departure point. On this I am not clear yet.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 07:29 Also, at LPPS try using the full runway length. Your takeoffs from there look very tight.
I saw that, almost an accident but my Pax first (lol). I will try again with the same FPL but maybe at day time. I feel more confident flying at night because I can see the runway lights earlier than a day time.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

With Connie I would like to take-off or landing from/to Frankfurt-Egelsbach EDFE. The runway length is somewhere around 4.5K Is it OK for Constellation? I mean either way to proceed (Take-off or Landings) ... Intended to make a new FPL to give another chance for me to keep learning.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 14:44 With Connie I would like to take-off or landing from/to Frankfurt-Egelsbach EDFE. The runway length is somewhere around 4.5K Is it OK for Constellation?
Too short (you might be able to try it, but you would carry no payload and very limited range...not worth it. Plus I see no Connie sized parking there). Stick with EDDF, it's right next door. Your Constellation will be very happy wearing a Lufthansa paint while flying from a Lufthansa hub. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Tried to take-off from EDFE short runway 4.5K and oops .... got it up nicely. It is a high risk I think only Pilot staff can be on board with no Pax. (lol).
Lufthansa repaint? I will have to find it. What about British, Italian, Swiss repaints? Did exist Connie with those repaint in real? The closer one I have is KLM but I like more PAA (lol)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”