MSFS 2020 Paint Kits

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

MSFS 2020 Paint Kits

Post by Al FR-153 »

Has anyone heard or read anything about repaint kits for the new fleet of birds? From the M$ ads, all the birds have the same tail number and none start with an 'N' or other countries.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Re: MSFS 2020 Paint Kits

Post by curtis72561 »

Al FR-153 wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 06:39 Has anyone heard or read anything about repaint kits for the new fleet of birds? From the M$ ads, all the birds have the same tail number and none start with an 'N' or other countries.
The way I understand it from watching the video below (at about the 10 min. mark) you can put whatever tail number you want on whatever plane in the flight set up. I don't know how that works but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oHHfyBlZoQ

Let us know if I understood that right.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

It would appear that you are correct. He entered '18' at the 10 minute mark and when the plane is on the runway at 14:53 in the video, the registration is '18'. However, the question still stands as there are too many interesting paint configurations for these aircraft to be stuck with what M$ issues. Do I lock the door on my paint shop for MSFS 2020? PBR doesn't scare me, the lack of a paint kit or usable model does.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Al FR-153 wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 15:30 It would appear that you are correct. He entered '18' at the 10 minute mark and when the plane is on the runway at 14:53 in the video, the registration is '18'. However, the question still stands as there are too many interesting paint configurations for these aircraft to be stuck with what M$ issues. Do I lock the door on my paint shop for MSFS 2020? PBR doesn't scare me, the lack of a paint kit or usable model does.
I'm sure third parties will have to have paint kits with there aircraft wouldn't they? As far MS???? I wonder if they will at least have blank textures for each model?
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

CBris
Senior Airman

Post by CBris »

You can always use the ATC option to change your tail number when you are preparing a flight. You can even add a callsign and flight number - MSFS actually converts your callsign to speech. So of course - GSKIN Eagleskinner 101 is often making the skies unsafe and ATC is talking to me by name with the tail number GBRIS visible.

Caveat - the aircraft tail number can only go where MS puts it because it is a "Decal" in the TEXTURE folder. If you want to make your ID "permanent" you will have to paint it on the appropriate "ALBD" texture sheet and turn off the "show ATC ID" in your pre-flight prep. You can fiddle with the aircraft.cfg and blank any ID references. Also there's a font type, size and colour selection somewhere if you want to change the MS defaults.

Sorry - don't ask where, I am not too sure about all the new painting conventions yet.

As for paint kits - just use the appropriate "ALBD" sheets and desaturate them. You will end up with a greyscale version of the skin that you can use on top of your new colourised sheet using a multiply merge. i.e. the shadows, shadings and dirt will be blended over the colour swatches you can make.

The best tool at the moment for opening ALL the different dds texture sheets would be paint.net - save from there to your paint program of choice and edit to your heart's content. Unless you are paying those incredible subs for photoshop!

If you go to the microsoft msfs 2020 fora, there's a link to a "Liveries Megapack". Some people have already made around a hundred or more recolourised external skins for the default models. Study how they have done it...
Chris Brisland, aka 'Dances with paintbrushes', aka EagleSkinner

new reply

Return to “Repainters”