Hi Trev,
Reporting here, I flew in practice with FPL, EKCH-EHAM with waypoints:
KAS 112.50/231
KOR 112.80/251
SWG 111.80/228
EEL 112.40/230
SPL 108.40/233
EHAM course 261 arrival

For the first time I found from shift+3 Menu the Sperry and selected.
On airborne, after trimming the plane became steady leveled at 5K AGL and applied the 3 Autopilot levers, one at a time.
Connie after takeoff I activated nav/gps to GPS. Then Connie followed the GPS course to waypoints KAS and KOR very well after I changed AP Rudders to the corresponding waypoint course accordingly. The Omnibearing with the same course as AP Rudders. After continuing with waypoint SWG the GPS was showing the correct heading but the distance started increasing instead of decreasing. This doesn't make sense the GPS is lying (lol). I will try the FPL again later ...

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Engine RPM mismatch after startup

Post by TreeTops »

I am a little confused about when you are flying the Sperry or the GPS. It is one or the other. If you fly with the GPS, once it locks onto the flightplan you dont touch anything with the Sperry autopilot since the clutches are disengaged.

Since I only learnt the FS autopilot when i first installed the Connie and never used it since, I had to relearn what was required.
I hope the following helps you with the flight plan issues.
It seems like you have control of the Sperry autopilot but need some help with the FS Autopilot GPS following a flight path.

To use the FS Autopilot
1. A2A aircraft configurator - GPS set to Default GNS400.
2. Shift 3 - GPS GNS400 selected and FS Autopilot selected. (Sperry not active)
3. NAV/GPS toggle located on the right of the GNS400 set to GPS. GNS400 powered on (upper left knob)
4. Shift 6 - set the altitude and Vertical speed.
5. Load a flight plan.
6. Before takeoff, set the Heading Gyro, and Autopilot rudder control to align with the runway heading.
7. After takeoff and clear of terrain/obstacles, select AP on (Shift 6) and HDG on to establish a climb on runway heading.
8. Adjust the autopilot rudder knob to turn the plane to intercept the flight plan.
9. Shift 6 - Select NAV when close to the flight plan and on an intercept course (within 45 degrees). The aircraft may turn slightly to its own intercept course and then once at the flight plan leg turn onto course.
10. The FS autopilot will now control the plane along the legs of the flight plan at the altitude set. Control the altitude and vertical speed using Shift 6. (no rudder adjustments or sperry knobs required in NAV mode!!!)
11. If required, Shift 6 - select HDG to regain manual control of the aircraft direction, having set the Autopilot rudder indicator to match the Gyro Heading first.
12. When approaching to land, use Shift 6 - HDG, autopilot rudder knob and altitude control to manouver the aircraft to a point where you disconnect the AP and hand fly the landing.

To use the GNS430/GTN650
1. A2A aircraft configurator - GPS set to GNS430 or GTN 650.
2. Shift 3 - GPS GNS430 or GTN650 selected and FS Autopilot selected. (Sperry not active)
Instead of loading a flight plan in the sim, enter the flight plan in the GPS unit.
All other points are the same.

Note :
1. The Autopilot rudder knob (above and right of the heading indicator in front of the throttles) is only used when the FS Autopilot is in HDG mode.
2. The Autopilot rudder heading must match the Gyro Heading to prevent a change of heading while switching from NAV to HDG. (This one is easy to forget).
3. The Gyro heading knob (below the heading indicator in front of the throttles) can be used to manually sync to the magnetic compass or (key D).
Gyroscopic drift (if enabled in the sim) means the Gyro heading needs to be reset every 15 minutes approximately.
I always sync the Gyro heading on approach to a runway to prevent a misalignment of the instruments.
Last edited by TreeTops on 31 Jul 2020, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hello Trev,
Wow is a large text, how long did you take to do this? I over-appreciate your efforts to help me.. .thanks, thanks.
I took a copy of this for my flying notes it is obviously a good source for learning even more.
OK, an hour ago I just ended a video flying Connie with FSX and the same FPL of EKCH-EHAM. It was too long time that I had to speed up on some points.
I did fly with Sperry and with the GPS default. The GPS had the magenta line to follow. Somehow, close to the end of my journey I couldn't see the runway for landing and I had to save my passengers via landing in somewhere else inside of EHAM airport, crazy.
This was my very first experience with Connie, Sperry, GPS and too many waypoints on the route. Before, I used to fly PMDG not longer than 200nm distance and ILS only. I never was be able to land manually and Connie with this thread and some info from AVSIM I started learning with manual landings. I mean not using FMC now.
I wish to learn Sperry and without GPS now.......cool!
Later .... I am uploading the video will be here soon.
Thank you my Master for teaching even more. Have a nice and relaxed weekend!

EDIT: Here it goes the video and please, tell me what wrong I did ...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wmQkLe ... sp=sharing

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I spent a couple of hours on this, but i wouldn't call it work because its always a learning experience, so I typed it out as much for me as for you or anyone else.
I have added some points in my last post about using the GNS430 or GTN650 so you might want to recopy your notes.

Landing is very simple. Practice on a long runway. Approach speed is 120 knots. Line up 10nm out at 3000 ft AGL just the same as an ILS approach to give you time to establish descent rate, speed and power settings, gear and flaps.
Power will depend on the weight of the plane.
Bleed off speed to about 100 knots over the threshhold and start pitching up slowly from 30 ft and take your time listening to the count down 30, 20, 10.

I find the Connie with Saitek yoke far to sensitive to pitch so I adjusted the aircraft.cfg file from 1.0 to 0.3 which seems more believable.
[flight_tuning]
elevator_effectiveness=0.3 //1.000
Cheers
Trev

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

TreeTops wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 23:30I find the Connie with Saitek yoke far to sensitive to pitch so I adjusted the aircraft.cfg file from 1.0 to 0.3 which seems more believable.
[flight_tuning]
elevator_effectiveness=0.3 //1.000
I did the adjustment with pitch stability:

pitch_stability=2.5 // LDH was 1.000, tried 2.0, 4.0, 3.0

I still have full elevator authority if needed but the aircraft isn't all over the sky. It is still a little sensitive to pitch as I suspect this is a characteristic of the aircraft. Setting it to 3.0 gives about the same feel as other aircraft.

Hook

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
From info i have read , the connie was hard on ail/rudder controls but very twitchy on elevator , only adjustments i made where in the sensitivity in FSUIPC , to give this sort of feel , the only adjustments i have made in the aircraft.cfg , is in the views , to best match for my trackIR , and it enables me to fly from p1 or p2 seat , the view that gave me problems was the engineers , due to the way trackIR interacts with views when at 90 degrees to nose.
regards alan. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 06:43 Hi.
From info i have read , the connie was hard on ail/rudder controls but very twitchy on elevator , only adjustments i made where in the sensitivity in FSUIPC , to give this sort of feel , the only adjustments i have made in the aircraft.cfg , is in the views , to best match for my trackIR , and it enables me to fly from p1 or p2 seat , the view that gave me problems was the engineers , due to the way trackIR interacts with views when at 90 degrees to nose.
regards alan. 8)
Hello Alan, Is this something that should be updated with Connie installer? If so, I would like to be added/implemented the GPU switch from FE Panel. Sometimes, I forget to deactivate GPU and when I do take-off the GPU becomes disconnected itself. I have seen the GPU switch present in FE Panel.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Initially there was a 'GPU' switch on the FE panel but it was removed as the 'GPU', Ground Power Unit, is external to the aircraft.
You still have control to turn it on or off through one of the pop-up menus.

It should be shut down after Engines 3 & 4 are started and before any attempt to start 1 or 2.]

Paul

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Gypsy Baron wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 13:47 Initially there was a 'GPU' switch on the FE panel but it was removed as the 'GPU', Ground Power Unit, is external to the aircraft.
You still have control to turn it on or off through one of the pop-up menus.

It should be shut down after Engines 3 & 4 are started and before any attempt to start 1 or 2.]

Paul

If the GPU switch has been removed from the FE Panel then how the GPU stuff outside of the plane had activated the device? The FE Panel engineer couldn't send the signal to the GPU if no switch available to activate it from the panel. We don't need the engineer near the FE Panel because he can't hear the GPU stuff from outside when they say it is shutdown, engines are very loud. (lol).
Why the GPU should be shutdown before continuing with engines 2 and 1?
I miss the GPU switch from the FE Panel always ...

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

The implementation is simply to allow for the use of a GPU since no onboard system exists. In real life the FE or pilot would
signal to personal on the ground to connect the GPU and apply power. That is how it was done on the C-121J's(L1049's)
that I crewed on back in 66/67. The door to the right of the FE was always open prior to taxi and the personal on the ramp
could signal to the FE the number of blades the engine turned through before 'contact'.

So, since we have no intelligent ramp people out there it was necessary to implement the GPU functionality via the menu.

The GPU was under the aircraft nose so once #3 & 4 were started it needed to be unplugged and moved away from the aircraft.
In the interest of safety for the ground personal that meant that #2 and 1 were not started until the GPU removal was accomplished.

Also, back in the day they may be loading passengers after 3 & 4 were started...some time to get the cabin temperature to
the desired temperature (heated or air condition ON) depending upon the ambient temp. Thus, again for safety, numbers 2 & 1
were not started until the GPU was removed and all the passengers and cargo loaded.

Paul

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

The GPU was already discussed in your earlier post
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=70152&p=539049&hilit=Gpu#p539049
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 15:33 The GPU was already discussed in your earlier post
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=70152&p=539049&hilit=Gpu#p539049
I know that but replied to Paul. Anyway I think from that thread the GPU discussion never concluded. So, I stopped talking about GPU and hopefully on the future becomes implemented. It is annoying for me to use 2 hands calling Shift+3 Menu for GPU? C'mon ... we have avionics switch near the FE Panel and also in the Menu shift3. Same for the lights, etc.
Now I will practice Sperry thanks for teaching me. Sperry is a new world for me, love it ...

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Gypsy Baron wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 15:25 The implementation is simply to allow for the use of a GPU since no onboard system exists. In real life the FE or pilot would
signal to personal on the ground to connect the GPU and apply power. That is how it was done on the C-121J's(L1049's)
that I crewed on back in 66/67. The door to the right of the FE was always open prior to taxi and the personal on the ramp
could signal to the FE the number of blades the engine turned through before 'contact'.

So, since we have no intelligent ramp people out there it was necessary to implement the GPU functionality via the menu.

The GPU was under the aircraft nose so once #3 & 4 were started it needed to be unplugged and moved away from the aircraft.
In the interest of safety for the ground personal that meant that #2 and 1 were not started until the GPU removal was accomplished.

Also, back in the day they may be loading passengers after 3 & 4 were started...some time to get the cabin temperature to
the desired temperature (heated or air condition ON) depending upon the ambient temp. Thus, again for safety, numbers 2 & 1
were not started until the GPU was removed and all the passengers and cargo loaded.

Paul

I see and that makes sense, to remove GPU before start with engines 2 and 1 for safety reasons. That steps I was doing lately. Thanks

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 21:40Somehow, close to the end of my journey I couldn't see the runway for landing and I had to save my passengers via landing in somewhere else inside of EHAM airport, crazy.
Yes, I noticed that :D . Quite an entertaining landing to see from the virtual jumpseat!

Allow me to give my humble opinion why that happened, and explain how to prevent it in the future. I previously stated:
flapman wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 21:07For your flight, you can't set the ILS after takeoff from Heathrow, you will never find it. You must use the radio navigation system to first locate Manchester, then navigate the aircraft to a position where it can receive the ILS signals, and the aircraft will be in a position to make a safe approach. This place is called the Final Approach Fix (FAF). You must navigate to it first before you can try using ILS. It is the same procedure in an 737NG... just that the FMS assists in navigating to the FAF. :twisted:
And again we see what happens when we fail to plan... we plan to fail. Nice of the simulator to teach such a wonderful lesson at basically zero cost and zero risk :mrgreen:

Here is the relevant section of your flight plan:
trisho0 wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 13:02 SPL 108.40/233
EHAM course 261 arrival
Looking at Skyvector, SPL -> EHAM is 160°M for a distance of 1.5nm (it's actually on the airport property). And that short leg makes all the difference here! 261-160 is a 101° right turn, but you're planned to make it directly over the center of the airport. This will not work, and as the simulator demonstrated for you, it doesn't work.
You have to reach the Final Approach Fix to make a safe approach. But you missed it, and your approach was unsafe (missed). You couldn't see the landing runway because you didn't position the airplane to a point in space (and time! navigation occurs in 4 dimensions) where the landing runway was visible in the cockpit windows.

**Real time reaction to the approach** Looks like you visually identify the airport about 16 miles out. We're still at 5,500ft in cruise at that point. This is closely in line with the flight plan you posted. A couple miles later you put out some flaps while still in cruise and pitch down. Oh boy, here we go! Assuming the 261 course was in line with that runway, I'm watching that runway slowly slide down the left cockpit windows as we approach SPL at 3,500ft. We're doing about 700-800FPM, are we going to get the crying baby? Gear down.. now the VSI is pegged 2,000+ FPM down. Still headed towards SPL. Now at 1,700ft and the descent rate has reduced. The gear seemed to have helped, you can actually still fix it at this point. You've drifted right of course, and by chance that is putting you in the vicinity of the FAF for two of the runways. You can make this.
1,200ft, now you look good. Got a nice long runway straight ahead. We're not lined up, but I can see 3 whites and 1 red on the slope indicator. Now you just got to make one turn.
Now we've just stopped descending, and we've gone through the final approach for that runway.

We're now abeam SPL but drifted right, and as you planned, you make that left turn directly to the airport. Now we're over the center of the airport at 600ft, exactly as you planned it. It appears that at less than 1nm from the airport center you choose a runway to land on, and we dive and bank to the right, pass halfway down it's length. Wikipedia says that runway is 11,000+ feet long, and you land with about 4,500ft remaining.

You can fly this same profile in the L-049, the B737, B747, A320, or C172. It's not related to the airplane or it's autopilot. If you want to nicely approach a runway from a straight in final, you have to plan to put the aircraft in a position from which it can start a straight in 3.0° degree approach to your chosen (actually ATC assigned) runway.

Keep working at it! Propliners are some of the hardest aircraft to fly, and it is already teaching you so much. ...now then, to delete this 4.8GB video 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Another journey just flew a new FPL, KVCV-KLAS still learning with Connie ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zx5Br_ ... sp=sharing

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”