Reverse Thrust

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Reverse Thrust

Post by Avio »

Finally, I decided on getting the COTS for the B377 !

Started engine, took off, flew for a while, landed and brought throttle to idle and pressed F2 several times to reverse. But when I move my throttle forward to get out of reverse, the engines quit with smoke blowing out from engines.

Any kind soul could help point out what I might have done wrong? Tried twice and same thing happened.

Also, after doing sold and dark, I run a maintenance check and all 4 engines show excellent condition. Thought it should show some damages?

Any advice much appreciated !

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Reverse Thrust

Post by TreeTops »

Sure thing. Set up your F2 key in the control settings to Throttle Decrease instead of Throttle Decrease Rapid. This gives you control on how much reverse you want rather than it going full wack on a lovely engine the the B377 carriers.
While you are there set up the F3 key to increase the throttle in increments to match what the F2 key does.

Now when you land, pull the throttle back to idle, then try adding F2 to about half reverse until you get down to 70 knots and then start pressing the F3 key right up until it jumps over the detent on the throttle quadrant. Then pressing F1 while bring the throttles back to idle to match your hardward throttle position.

Usually you dont need much, if any reverse, because the landing rollout is always shorter than the takeoff distance required.

Well done on your new plane. It will be fun to see your progress.
Cheers
Trev

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I have small Lua scripts that I use to enter reverse thrust and exit it.

To enter I send F1 once and F2 14 times.

To exit, I send F3 15 times.

You need to send the F3 key to bring the throttles forward out of the reverse thrust condition before
you touch the throttle to continue taxiing.

I think that you can send the multiple F2 and F3 keys just by holding them down on the keyboard. It should repeat the
key stroke rapidly after after the you first press and hold the key.

My Lua scripts insert a 50 ms delay between each multiple key stroke event.

Paul

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Thanks folks! Sure will give that a try.

As for there being no damage shown in the maintenance screen despite all 4 engines stopping with lots of smoke (still show Excellent), is the damage modelling buggy or something?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

The B377 engines will either blow up completely or they will have wear over time, with poor treatment accelerating that wear. The level of wear will be shown in the hanger. The entire engine is treated as one piece regarding its condition, unlike some of the newer engines like the B17 onwards.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”