Highs and Lows

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
TatoBean
Airman First Class

Highs and Lows

Post by TatoBean »

I've had this airplane for a little while now, but I decided to actually get a name here and try to actually meet people.

But I've noticed that this airplane can be so freaking frustrating sometimes. Made one of my best landings ever in the thing and decided to give it one more go. Blast off everything is looking great, a little low, but nothing a little power can't fix, when suddenly it all goes wrong. Sliding everywhere, heading towards hard things, screw this, give it the beans and go try again. Went around and just got it on the ground. I've got 20 ish hours and 45 or so landings and I just cannot get any consistency in this thing.
Let the potato rest for 5 minutes.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Highs and Lows

Post by TreeTops »

Firstly, you are flying the right plane. This one, out of them all, will identify the pilots weaknesses and allow you to improve. If landing the C172 or Cherokee is like getting a report card at the end of the week, the T6 is like the stern teacher at the front of the class yelling "No, do it again!". Instant and direct feedback is this plane's forte so as a pilot, instant and direct control is required.
Attention was super focused on the feel between the tyres and runway with the T6. Land a little sideways and the grab is evident.
There are other posts which talk more about the pendulum effect of the tail, so the key is to keep it straight and work that rudder!!!
To confirm what you are experiencing, watch Flightchops video series on getting checked out on the Harvard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-b5z6YqKU
I dont know you if are aware of him, but he would have to be one of the pilots with the most aircraft types flown prior to this aircraft, thus having an greater understanding of how much aircraft differ from each other.
I'm not expert, but ive been around A2A for plenty of years to read the experts posts, and they work in the sim. Im sure they will chime in once they see your post. I just wanted to give you a quick response so you can get back out there and keep doing it.
Cheers
Trev

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

You are in the right place to learn the Harvard for sure!

I have learned loads here. Take a look through the search function for MkIV Hvd posts. He has given me lots of good advice on landings - and I have improved dramatically from following his advice.

His comments are often in my video threads....
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

TatoBean wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 16:47 I've had this airplane for a little while now, but I decided to actually get a name here and try to actually meet people.

But I've noticed that this airplane can be so freaking frustrating sometimes. Made one of my best landings ever in the thing and decided to give it one more go. Blast off everything is looking great, a little low, but nothing a little power can't fix, when suddenly it all goes wrong. Sliding everywhere, heading towards hard things, screw this, give it the beans and go try again. Went around and just got it on the ground. I've got 20 ish hours and 45 or so landings and I just cannot get any consistency in this thing.
Hey man, welcome to the forum!

My first suggestion is...and I know it's really hard because I've done the same thing...after your best landing, DO NOT go try again LOL!! Just park it, file the experience and go for a beer :wink:
It's all about practice, but like any other pursuit, you have to practice the right stuff. I'm not a CFI but I was trained initially by some very experienced gents way back when the warbird market was just a puppy and I have done some type conversion training in the Harvard. Feel free to post or PM questions...is there a specific thing you're struggling with or just the landing phase in general?
Bruce66 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 03:52 You are in the right place to learn the Harvard for sure!
I have learned loads here. Take a look through the search function for MkIV Hvd posts. He has given me lots of good advice on landings - and I have improved dramatically from following his advice.
His comments are often in my video threads....
Thanks for that Bruce! You’ve clearly improved and I’m glad to have been a part of that!! :D
I mentioned to Bruce a while ago that I was going to do a video of my typical practice session, then got completely distracted by trying to record voice live and then a drive/video card upgrade that sent me down a new rabbit hole to P3D. I'm nearing the end of the setup phase and was thinking one of the first things I'd do (I need an actual list... :roll:) is that video. Hopefully that will help...it should be a good start anyway... :wink:

In the meantime, post away here! The main thing is that you don't give up...because mastering (or at least getting somewhat comfortable with :wink:) this airplane, will feel like one of the most satisfying and coolest things you've ever accomplished in a flight sim!! :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

There'll be a lot of T-6 stories. Here's one.
I was having a general mooch around doing circuits, a few aerobatics etc. Lovely! Now I fly in VR and all, if not most, of my controls are assigned to various bits of hardware.
Last landing before dinner. Nice approach, nice touchdown and what started out as a nice rollout.

BANG! Nosed over and broke stuff. What the! Another duff airplane from A2A :evil:

Oh wait. :oops: At some time during my flight I had unknowingly touched the parking brake button. :roll:

Just added another item on my checklist. :D

P.S. I'll probably get a rollocking from Dudley now. :(
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

TatoBean
Airman First Class

Post by TatoBean »

Thanks all for the encouragement. I know she’s not the easiest airplane to fly. In real life I’m former navy and a current airline pilot so this isn’t the first airplane that’s made me say swear words. And likely won’t be the last. And I’d love the chance to own a real T-6/SNJ Someday but even though it’s just a computer game I still enjoy the challenge.

I know I just need practice, but as MkIV said “gotta practice the right stuff” so maybe I should head out to the practice area for some high alpha practice.
Let the potato rest for 5 minutes.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

TatoBean wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 19:25
I know I just need practice, but as MkIV said “gotta practice the right stuff” so maybe I should head out to the practice area for some high alpha practice.
Bingo! A decent slow flight/stall series should help immensely, followed by some circuits with full stop, touch and go, short field techniques, etc. Once you get a good feel for the airplane's handling characteristics at 60 - 70 knots with gear and flaps in various configurations, you'll be away to the races. Have fun!
Ron Attwood wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 12:18 There'll be a lot of T-6 stories. Here's one.
I was having a general mooch around doing circuits, a few aerobatics etc. Lovely! Now I fly in VR and all, if not most, of my controls are assigned to various bits of hardware.
Last landing before dinner. Nice approach, nice touchdown and what started out as a nice rollout.

BANG! Nosed over and broke stuff. What the! Another duff airplane from A2A :evil:

Oh wait. :oops: At some time during my flight I had unknowingly touched the parking brake button. :roll:

Just added another item on my checklist. :D

P.S. I'll probably get a rollocking from Dudley now. :(
Well at least that was an interesting and understandable way to do it. Mine was after my best landing to date and I decided to do one more circuit and really concentrate this time…and I concentrated so hard that I simply forgot to put the gear down… :oops: :cry:
Last edited by MkIV Hvd on 01 Mar 2020, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 10:02 Well at least that was an interesting and understandable way to do it. Mine was after my best landing to date and I decided to do one more circuit and really concentrate this time…and I concentrated so hard that I simply forgot to put the gear down… :oops: :cry:
LOL. I have SO done that. :D I'll be amazed if I never do it again.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”