WWII T-6 Flying Instructor Manual

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

WWII T-6 Flying Instructor Manual

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Interesting read from the perspective of training flying instructors to teach the T-6. Posted on the website of T6 Harvard Aviation who operate a Harvard for conversion training, air displays and pleasure flights.
https://www.t6harvard.com/wp-content/up ... Manual.pdf

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: WWII T-6 Flying Instructor Manual

Post by DHenriques_ »

Interesting side note on this manual.

As an instructor in warbirds I naturally have seen these early manuals many times through my career. They were written during a time when time was important and getting students through the program as quickly as possible was paramount. What was written in these manuals was correct information BUT many a small but important detail was left to the instructor to fill in for the student.
The result of this is that although well written, these manuals and their omissions have to be read and digested CAREFULLY.

I will give you an example here of just one such omission.

Note carefully the first sentence in #4 on CONSTANT SPEED CONTROLLABLE PITCH PROPELLER.

“WHAT: A hydromatic propeller that automatically changes its blade pitch to maintain any desired rpm, regardless of power output.”

Well intentioned but only partially correct. There HAS to be a prop governor in that statement to complete it as being correct. That isn’t there. The statement is incorrect beyond the pitch limits of the propeller.
The result of this HAD to be a confused student as flying began with an instructor and the prop began actually USING the governor requiring the instructor to “re-educate” the student on how the prop ACTUALLY WORKS.

And such, ladies and gentlemen, was the plight of yesterday’s flight instructors and the plight exists even into today as at least some of us CFI’s out here attempt to right what has been incorrectly presented in manuals through the years on subjects such as “how lift is created”.

Just thought I’d throw this out there for you as my CFI duty for the day.

Happy flying everybody………….and read manuals CAREFULLY !!!!!!!! :-)))))

Dudley Henriques

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Dudley thanks so much for adding that. It is fascinating getting your take on these things! We are lucky to have you on board!

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Dreamsofwings wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 11:24 Dudley thanks so much for adding that. It is fascinating getting your take on these things! We are lucky to have you on board!
Thanks. I'm getting older every day. :-)))))))

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Thanks for the link, Rob! I came across this link several days ago but lost track of where I’d found it, so I’m grateful you pinned it here!

Thanks also to Dudley for the caveat that certainly applies to every manual! I really enjoy seeking out manuals online for my A2A aircraft to note the differences over time. Sometimes procedures change, their explanations become more fine-tuned, written more clearly or just dropped entirely.

That section about the casualty system, though... :D

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”