FPS impact with cockpit lights on after PBR update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: FPS impact with cockpit lights on after PBR update

Post by MarcE »

Gabe777 wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 06:45

But Nick... the external lighting is not the problem. With 4 or 8xMSAA, I have a 10 percent hit from landing lights etc. But it's the glareshield lighting that causes a 70 percent drop.

THIS is the problem. All other forms of dynamic cockput lighting seems to manage this hit, a lot better.

There really is a problem with this GLARESHIELD LIGHTING. It really needs looking at.

I repeat ... PBR and external lights are OK.... it is the Glareshield lighting that causes the massive hit.

A simple experiment will demonsyrate this. A process of elimination... not rocket science guys.
Absolutely no issue with the glareshield light on my side. Overall improvements are certainly needed and I'm sure they will come. it's just an initial release...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'm probably alone here but to me there is so little to get excited about PBR that I think 'Why bother?'
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 10:16 I'm probably alone here but to me there is so little to get excited about PBR that I think 'Why bother?'
Ron, you are not alone... :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

We shall over...cuh-huh-hum. We shall over cuh-huh-hum :D :D

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Sorry about that, but what is PBR?

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Ron Attwood wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 10:16 I'm probably alone here but to me there is so little to get excited about PBR that I think 'Why bother?'
Woah.... I'll post some images.

Try the French yellow and metal livery... with sun at around 11am in December. Stunning.

If it wasn't for the PBR I'd just go back to the earlier version as dynamic lighting is just a curse in P3D.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Gabe777 wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 18:16

Try the French yellow and metal livery... with sun at around 11am in December. Stunning.
Nice to know. What's it like at 09:30 in July?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Sorry guys: I can't help it. "BLAME IT ON THE PBR!"

Seeya
ATB

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello guys,

We've just released another update for the 172 which allows you to select 'optimised' dynamic lighting via the aircraft configurator. This should allow a significant FPS boost for users of supersampling antialiasing (SSAA) albeit with somewhat reduced 'evenness' of the glareshield lighting.

There will inevitably still be some FPS impact if you're still heavily GPU limited and use SSAA, but it should help to address the concerns posted here. The default setting is recommended if you don't use SSAA.

Today's update also restores the effect of gauge backlighting during daylight.

Best regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Eric Bakker
Airman First Class

Post by Eric Bakker »

Nick - A2A wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 06:40 We've just released another update for the 172 which allows you to select 'optimised' dynamic lighting via the aircraft configurator. This should allow a significant FPS boost for users of supersampling antialiasing (SSAA) albeit with somewhat reduced 'evenness' of the glareshield lighting.
Thanks Nick and the Team, for listening to user feedback and taking quick action on it.
You're the best! :D
Bonanza - T6 Texan - Constellation - PA-24 Comanche - PA-28 Cherokee - C182 Skylane - C172 Trainer - Spitfire - Accu-Feel
| [email protected] | RTX2080ti-11Gb | Win10

Manu F-JOHI
Airman First Class

Post by Manu F-JOHI »

Hello,

First : thanks a lot for listening our feedback!

second : unfortunately the new update doesn't change anything for me...even with turning off "dynamic lights" in P3D options, and I don't see any difference on the FPS between the optimized glareshield version and the original ( I've made several try to see if I didn't do something wrong...).

What i've found out is, I'm not sure the dynamic light is the hugest FPS impact, I didn't understand it at first time, because obviously, I needed a sort of light in the cockpit by night time to see what I'm doing so I've blamed the lights...
But I've did the following experiment : at night, all lights on ( landing, taxi, glareshield, gauges ) I get around 25 fps, at night with landing, taxi and gauges I get around 30, at night without any light on I get 32 fps, and during day time without any light on : 52 fps...

So I guess, at least for me, there is something wrong with the PBR, I've never found a difference with others aircrafts at flying at night, including those with PBR, here, with the c172, it cost me right away 20 fps, and if I turn the glareshield on, it's 5 fps more...it's huge, almost half of what I usually have, just by passing from day to night. I've made those test on a scenery that is light on fps, usually, I'm mostly around 30 + fps, so if I add weather and densely populated area, it makes the c 172 completely impossible to fly at night for me.

Here are some screen cap of the test I've made :

Hope this can be improve, thanks again for listening and your work!

Best!

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

I'd also like to thank Nick and the Team for the update. The performance issue with glareshield lights has been significantly alleviated (and the effect still looks good!), but the most important thing to me is that the instrument lighting is back to being usable during the day. Thanks for making these two things a priority.

Cheers,
Tym

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Ron Attwood wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 21:20

Suck it and see Ronnie, suck it and see.

I wouldn't wish to ruin the surprise of beautifully done PBR.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 06:40 Hello guys,

We've just released another update for the 172 which allows you to select 'optimised' dynamic lighting via the aircraft configurator. This should allow a significant FPS boost for users of supersampling antialiasing (SSAA) albeit with somewhat reduced 'evenness' of the glareshield lighting.

There will inevitably still be some FPS impact if you're still heavily GPU limited and use SSAA, but it should help to address the concerns posted here. The default setting is recommended if you don't use SSAA.

Best regards,
Nick
Great news. Please do this if you update the Comanche too. Will be great to have daytime lighting AND PBR.

But I must reiterate, that it isn't just hitting those using SSAA... I am using just 4xMSAA with SGSS in nVidia inspector. But I'm guessing it may have a similar effect.

Just giving the coders as much info as possible, in case it it helps down the road.

FYi.... I have found that SGSS has an equally good Anti-Aliasing effect as SSAA in-sim, but is much kinder to FPS when using heavy 3D clouds with Active Sky.

Regards, Happy Holidays, and thanks for such a rapid response to our moaning !

... and for any Douglas Adams' fans: thanks for all the fish !

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Gabe777 wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 15:21
Ron Attwood wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 21:20

Suck it and see Ronnie, suck it and see.

I wouldn't wish to ruin the surprise of beautifully done PBR.
Oh.... you're being sarcastic. Oh my I'm slowing down in my old age 🤣🤣🤣.

Well, young man, the angle of the sun in June, in France, is too high to properly show off the gorgeous effects... a little like looking at you Ron, while squinting ..... 🤗🤗🤗

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”