Microsoft no longer supporting Windows 7

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Raebo
Airman First Class

Microsoft no longer supporting Windows 7

Post by Raebo »

I fly on Windows 7 Pro and have no issues, none.
As of mid January Microsoft will no longer provide updates or support for Windows 7.

Thankfully A2A has some very computer smart members that can hopefully help me with a few questions.
I dont use my computer for anything other than flying FSX so security updates are a non issue for me.

I would prefer not updating to Windows 10.

Question's
1) Could I simply keep flying on Windows 7, are the windows 7 updates just security updates that in my case I dont need, or are some of the updates nessesary in order to keep flying?

I have a few friends who have never updated Windows 7 and play the latest war type games with no issues.

2) If I am forced to update to Windows 10, will FSX, and my weather, I use REX simply integrate automatically into Windows 10 or do I have to reinstall everything?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Nvidia GTX - 980Ti Titan.

Seidon 240M liquid CPU cooler.

Intel i7-4770K, Asus Z87-pro.

Samsung- 840 EVO Sata III TLC SSD.

Trident X series 32GB (4x8)

Kingwin 1000- watt 80+ Bronze Power supply.

Asus - PB278 2560x1440 HDMI Monitor.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Microsoft no longer supporting Windows 7

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello Raebo,

I use FSX Acceleration with REX 4 with Soft Clouds and Orbxglobal with EU and US OpenCL on Windows 10 Pro with no issues. Windows 10 is a very stable platform for FSX in my opinion so far, and my PC configuration is older than yours.

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

I don’t have answer to your questions but you may like to know that the process to move from W7 to W10 is smooth and still free. You just download a module at Microsoft.com and launch it. At the end Windows is automatically activated.

Nothing I have needed to be reinstalled (games, P3D with addons).

I made the move few days ago for two computers, W7pro to W10pro and W7Home to W10Home.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I waited till a few months ago and finally got the free install of windows 10 over my windows 7. Worked great, not one issue, and my PC runs better. Grab it while it is free.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

One thing to remember is that the security updates are the most important no matter what you use your PC for. On or offline if you want your data and computer safe always get at the minimum the security updates.

I'd suggest as others have that you get moved across to Win10 if it is indeed still a free update for your OS.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 08:24 One thing to remember is that the security updates are the most important no matter what you use your PC for. On or offline if you want your data and computer safe always get at the minimum the security updates.

I'd suggest as others have that you get moved across to Win10 if it is indeed still a free update for your OS.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
Free?? I just checked. upgrading to Win 10 will cost me £125...
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Raebo,
Raebo wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 00:15 Could I simply keep flying on Windows 7, are the windows 7 updates just security updates that in my case I dont need, or are some of the updates nessesary in order to keep flying?
The short answer is that if you just wish to use your PC for FSX and especially if you use it offline, you can stick with Windows 7. The OS won't stop working or anything like that.

It also seems rather unlikely that any add-ons for FSX (or the Steam version of FSX) will be updated in such a way in the near future so that they don't support Win 7.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Personally I stuck with Win 7 for my main gaming PC for a long time. In fact, it's only with a new build in the last week or two that I finally made the jump to Win 10 and I can definitely understand anyone who prefers to stay with Win 7 for the time being. :)
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 08:50
Lewis - A2A wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 08:24 One thing to remember is that the security updates are the most important no matter what you use your PC for. On or offline if you want your data and computer safe always get at the minimum the security updates.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
You may have checked it but I did it for two machines ! So whom to believe ?

Everything is legit. You download the Media Creation Tool at microsoft.com, launch it and you let it do its business. At the end of the process, Windows is automatically activated at the level of your 7 version. All by Microsoft.

Paying an upgrade 125 £ is an absurdity.
Dominique
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 08:50

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
In the US , you can do it for free. Maybe different in the UK.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Dominique wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 12:46 Everything is legit. You download the Media Creation Tool at microsoft.com, launch it and you let it do its business. At the end of the process, Windows is automatically activated at the level of your 7 version. All by Microsoft.
I've upgraded three PCs at home (including my main FS system) using this method. Surprisingly painless and totally free.

Nothing on any of my sims was affected in any way.

Adam.

EDIT: Just to add to that. Make sure you make a note of your existing/serial license numbers before you start. If you can't find them on a COA sticker, there are free tools out there that will dig them out.
Last edited by Adam_NZ on 05 Dec 2019, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
--
Image--Image

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

If you know some secrets everything is free in the USA :wink:
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Adam_NZ wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 18:53
Dominique wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 12:46 Everything is legit. You download the Media Creation Tool at microsoft.com, launch it and you let it do its business. At the end of the process, Windows is automatically activated at the level of your 7 version. All by Microsoft.
I've upgraded three PCs at home (including my main FS system) using this method. Surprisingly painless and totally free.

Nothing on any of my sims was affected in any way.

Adam.

EDIT: Just to add to that. Make sure you make a note of your existing/serial license numbers before you start. If you can't find them on a COA sticker, there are free tools out there that will dig them out.
Curiously, the two installs I did, didn’t ask for the SLN which I had ready. They automatically activated the W10 upgrades (pro and standard).I checked it. My experience, YMMV.
JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 19:26 If you know some secrets everything is free in the USA :wink:
MS pricing policy has to be the same in the UK that it is in the US, New Zealand or France.
Dominique

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

If you upgrade from Win7 it‘s free.
If you are a new Win user you have to purchase it.

If you nuke your computer and reinstall it and haven‘t done an image and need to purchase it, you‘ll obviously have to pay too. As long as you come from Win7 you‘re fine.

Do you HAVE to for the sake if FSX? No. Do you WANT to? If you want to have Cortana listen to you, if you want to be watched and listened by MS even more, sure, get it. It‘s a better windows version but it has its price, even if it‘s „for free“.

Sticking with Win7 you won‘t have any annoying updates kill your sim, at least...

Your decision, but FSX used XP if I recall correctly.. no NEED to.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

MarcE wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 04:00 If you want to have Cortana listen to you, if you want to be watched and listened by MS even more, sure, get it. It‘s a better windows version but it has its price, even if it‘s „for free“.
Eh...90% of the privacy issues can be turned off during initial setup, and pretty much the rest of them if you dig around in settings later. Cortana's basically in a coma on my computers. Chrome is 100% more intrusive than Windows, and most folks seem to love it for some reason. Other than the annoying DCOM errors in Event Viewer (one of these days I'm going to fix them), I've been happy with Windows 10, Pro and Home.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”