BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Felizpe
Airman First Class

Re: BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks for the report pickle144, nice that you found stability on 2.04 Patch, hope other players also have the same experience using windows 10. I remember during my several tests on Windows 8.1 where I tested all patches above 2.01 I didn't find 1 minute stability for 2.04 playing Historic Missions like Eagle Day or London, the only way I could play 2.04 patch was using 2.01 .exe what caused many sound bugs and visual glitches...
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

pickle144
Airman Basic

Post by pickle144 »

Sorry to say after more testing my initial excitement was premature. I'm getting the instant launch back to desktop from within the campaign as my initial tests were just single missions. Outside of your welcomed tweaks to 2.01 it looks like even with Win7 it will be iffy as support will end 1/2020 that 2.13 will need a major re-vamp.

pickle144
Airman Basic

Post by pickle144 »

Well I gave up on Windows 10 running 2.13 BUT I have tried a very unorthodox approach in getting my BOBII 2.13 fix, and that is using Mac OSX to run it.

Using Codeweaver's Crossover (Wine) to run Windows apps natively I have achieved stability in BOB 2.13 in terms of no crashing upon exit in instant and campaign scenarios. I achieved stability BUT need to work on getting framerate to acceptable levels as that is currently low.

Below are the basic steps done to install and run BOB 2.13 assuming one as a Mac or Linux instance.

1. Download the latest Crossover from https://www.codeweavers.com/products/
2. Once installed select "Unlisted application" in the Crossover application installer
3. Select the Bob2 optical disk (ver1) setup.exe
4. Choose a Windows XP bottle
5. Perform install (you will go through the normal installation wizard for BoB) (Cancel the Directx installer)
6. Once installed go to the bottle name you used in step 4 and select install software into
7. Select BOBII 2.13 installer and proceed to install (you will be prompted with the normal 2.13 installer wizard, Cancel the directx installer)
8. Once 2.13 is installed you will need to install the following into your XP bottle name:
Microsoft C++ 6
MS Visual Studio 2005
and Directx for modern games (DX9) BE SURE to install from Crossover

9. From the Control panel in the bottle you created (obtained by selecting "settings") execute a simulated reboot.
10. Turn off all intro/instant action videos from the bdg.txt
11. Select your optimal resolution as normal albeit you will want to go lower due to performance issues so far

Sorry this isn't the most comprehensive procedure and certainly not the most ideal given the platform but it is the only environment that offers stability without the usual CTD in campaign. What requires work is optimizing framerate.

BTW I'm running it on a 2010 MacPro 5,1 3.33GHz Xeon x 12 core with 32GB Ram and AMD RX-580 in OSX 10.14.6 Mojave

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Good News pickle144, thanks for the information. I would like to have Mac just to test it ;) When you say fps is low how much are you talking about? My bob2 runs at 32 fps and it's good enough for me...

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Or linux, you say!? That is incredible news. Many many questions...

1) I 'm surprised that it used WinXP, as 2.13 is too big for WinXP to handle on a windows machine.
It is really optimized for Win7. Is that a possible route, or did you try that and it failed? Or the
emulator is not inhibited by XP's inherent memory limits?

Now, Linux - I have no mac stuff, but I'm typing this on a linux laptop (with an nVidia GPU card).
How does one go about getting this to happen in linux - I am imagining a whole world of new sources
of interest from this possibility...

pickle144
Airman Basic

Post by pickle144 »

PV Excellent information on what BOB was optimized for, I always assumed it was XP. I setup crossover using an XP bottle bit it absolutely has Win7 bottles and that may be the major issue for the performance hit. Also please note that I understand that Linux platforms should see even better performance than Macs given the same hardware (looking for more substantial proof though).

The FPS I'm currently experiencing is anywhere from 10-20fps running at 1600x1200x32 it gets about 5% better going to 1280x960.

pickle144
Airman Basic

Post by pickle144 »

Well initial install into a new crossover Windows 7 bottle hasn't yielded any real improvement so far. I think it's a matter of going back to the old tweaks I have long been unconcerned with in BoB and crossover tweaks. Also I stated earlier about Linux may be better, I think that may be the reason here as I know that OSX has limited support for GPUs, in fact I'm using one of the highest end cards in the MacPro 5,1. I'm sure I can get further support from Codeweaver once I pony-up and buy Crossover, in fact they assisted initially in providing a suggestion to install C++ 6. It is really easy to create D3D/full logs from Crossover for BoB when running that they could look at. In the interim old-fashioned tweaks that I need to refamiliarize myself with in BOB like particle density and so on may go a long way.

If there's any questions on the install please let me know, I'll try to provide screenshots of an installation of that would help.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

I'd say From the initial release (v2.0) to about v2.07, BoB2 patch updates were strictly WinXP.
As time went on, and the BDG devs moved to newer OS and hardware, the focus moved to
Win7, and by 2.11, an XP machine would not be able to run the patch with full eye candy.
For v2.12 and 2.13, the program needed more RAM than an XP machine could address.
This is discussed in detail in the release notes in the Docs folder of those versions.

Hmmm. $60 for a year support, 14 day free trial. I'll have to wait for a good time to clear
2 weeks to kick this around, might be a month or more ahead. Looks very interesting.
I've been thinking about abandoning Win7 when support ends, except for BoB2, and wondering
how I'd retain a platform for it, expecting to shift to ubuntu otherwise. Having it run under
ubuntu would be very convenient.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hey Aces, Bob2 Windows 10 Patch was updated to Version 3 today!

V.3 Change List (29/11/2019):

-Added 2.13 Cockpit Instrument Textures to fix Spitfire Directional Gyro
-Added Spitfire Mk.IIa Czechoslovak Squadron Insignia (Optional Addon)
-Fixed Hurricane Willie McKnight Painting adding Skeleton Decal on both sides like real one
-Added Tiger Moth Serial Number
-Improved Bf109, Bf110 and Stuka Cockpit View for a better Nose View
-Bf109 red light reflex under cockpit like IL-2 Cliffs of Dover
-New Erich Hartmann Blue Flying Uniform for Luftwaffe Pilot
-Inverted Magnetos On/Off position for Stuka cockpit texture
-Fixed daily "JU52.pcx" crash bug (INVALID TEXTURE crash may still happen but less often)
-Fixed "Preload Standard Files" bug creating infinite # UDETBUOY and # BULLET1 lines inside "Preload" folder
-Added Mouse as Stick Config for who wants to play without Joystick (Optional Addon)
-Many Texture Improvements

Have fun with the Old Lady!

(ALL DOWNLOAD LINKS WERE UPDATED TO VERSION 3 ON FIRST POST)

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

I'm lucky enough to still be on Windows 7, but great work, Felizpe.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Looks like a great update, I'll be looking in to windows 10 and linux. I had seen something about games in linux but it looked very complicated so that's an interesting post pickle144.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thank you Gentlemen! Any news or updates about running patch 2.13 fine on different systems are welcome! Let's keep the old lady alive ;)
Last edited by Felizpe on 10 Dec 2019, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

seabro
Airman Basic

Post by seabro »

Hi Felipe
I get the basic screen, no options list on the LH side. Then screen goes black. Sim has crashed before it began. I'm on Windows 10 with a highish spec PC which runs Cliffs of Dover Blitz with no trouble.
Any ideas how to sort this. don't want to have wasted the cash in buying the sim.
Thanks
Seabro :roll:

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi seabro, this Patch requires BOB2 Original 2005 CD Release since it needs the original 2.0 registry. (It will not work on Matrix Games version since it comes with 2.06 Patch included) So if you installed any previous patched versions before uninstall it first and install BOB2 Original 2005 CD Release again to restore registry.

So if you are using BOB2 Original 2005 CD Release follow the instructions:

BOB2 always must be installed in the following directory:

C:\Battle of Britain II

Don't install at D:\ , G:\, etc, always at C:\

And you can't have two BOB2 versions installed in your PC since registry only will search for the game files inside C:\Battle of Britain II

So if you rename the folder the game will not run, like:

C:\Battle of Britain II Backup

When you rename the game folder or move to other directory the registry and "roots.dir" file can't find the game files, so if you moved BOB2 game folder to your Desktop or inside Program Files it will not work too.

You can't also install in the same computer the following games:

-BOB2 Matrix Games Version

-Rowan's Battle of Britain

-Air Battles: Sky Defender by Wild Hare

Cause these three games use the same registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / WOW6432NODE / ROWAN SOFTWARE" but each one search for game files on different directories like:

BOB2 Original 2005 CD Release (C:\Battle of Britain II)

BOB2 Matrix Games Version (C:\Matrix Games\Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory)

Rowan's Battle of Britain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Rowan Software\Battle Of Britain)

Air Battles: Sky Defender (C:\Program Files (x86)\Wild Hare\Air Battles)

So if you installed these games or other Patches before you will have to install BOB2 2.0 Original 2005 CD Release again from CD cause after the installation it will restore the original 2.0 registry.

............................................................................................................................................................................

[ Softwares needed to run old games on windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 ]

1- DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

Download the installer. After that the installer will ask where you want to extract. Create a folder in your Desktop and extract there. Then enter inside this folder and run "DXSETUP.exe" to install DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/downloa ... px?id=8109

2- .NET Framework 3.5

.NET Framework 3.5 needs to be Downloaded and then Manual Activated so check the tutorial bellow:

https://github.com/dotnet/docs/blob/mas ... dows-10.md

3- nGlide

BOB2 doesn't require nGlide but this Software is essential for almost all old games run on modern systems:

http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

............................................................................................................................................................................

Also check if your Antivirus, Third Party Firewall or Windows Firewall are not blocking some BOB2 file, you can temporary disable them for testing. Sometimes these softwares identify game files as false positive and block or send them to quarantine breaking the game.

Also disable Windows "DEP" (Data Execution Prevention) for BOB2, cause sometimes DEP protection blocks the game.

Well, If you followed all these procedures and this BOB2 Windows 10 Patch doesn't work try installing 2.13 Patch just to test if the game at least works...
Last edited by Felizpe on 31 Dec 2019, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi seabro, today I installed BOB2 with Patch 2.06 just to reproduce your problem and installed this BOB2 Windows 10 Patch over it and had the same bug as you. The main menu without any options and the game crashed.

So I supose you are using BOB2 Matrix Games version that comes with patch 2.06 included. So to fix it without losing your money I had an idea.

Try before installing this Windows 10 Patch to install first Patch 2.01 to fix the registry.

So test these procedures:

1-Install your BOB2 Matrix Games 2.06 version

(Try installing at "C:\Battle of Britain II" instead "C:\Matrix Games\Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory" if your game installer gives you this option)

2-Install Bob2 Patch 2.01 to fix the registry

Download Link:
https://www.moddb.com/games/battle-of-b ... tch-2-01-6

3-Install this BOB2 Windows 10 Patch

Well, I tested this method and worked, hope it also works for you!

(UPDATE: The game works but it bugs many things like Sounds so you will have mute shot sounds, Invisible Bullet Trace, Bugged France Terrain... So the ideal is to install this Patch over original 2.0 game)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”