Applying patterns

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Applying patterns

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Is there an easy way of pasting patterns onto the nose of say the P 51 without it clipping on the 3d model?
AKA "Memey"

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Applying patterns

Post by bladerunner900 »

Clipping? It depends on who made the model. The A2A ones are usually straight forward. One exception I found in the past, was the Aircraft Factory P-51 H. There was something funky going on with the mesh with that one. The mapping on some areas was distorting the paint work I was attempting to add. Very frustrating. I gave it up as a bad job in the end.

Steve.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

I mean what's going on with the checkers on the nose here. Clipping might not have been the best way to describe it
AKA "Memey"

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Ah. That is an effect caused by the models mesh around the nose.

Some parts around the nose have a curved mesh construction and the chequers have to be bent to follow the form of the mesh. The UV Map layer in the paint kit is useful for this.

It's a tedious job and not one I like doing too often. The P-51 is particularly troublesome but not the worst I've seen. The T-6 on the other hand is straight forward. No complicated curves.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Ah ok I've made like two paints but I can't get my head around it lol That paint of yours is very nice btw I downloaded it the other day
AKA "Memey"

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi,
bladerunner900 wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 19:49 The T-6 on the other hand is straight forward. No complicated curves.
Depends on which repaint you make for the T-6. :roll: The Cowling part and fuselage part has some different mapping (scale) on both sides and is at some points with a different angle.

Regards,

Marcel

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

mgr wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 03:52 Hi,

Depends on which repaint you make for the T-6. :roll: The Cowling part and fuselage part has some different mapping (scale) on both sides and is at some points with a different angle.

Regards,

Marcel
Yeah. The modeller packed in the vertices around the engine cowling, to achieve a smoother curve no doubt. But at least they're fairly straight so chequers aren't so difficult. No weird twists and turns. A plain coat of paint everywhere else covers a multitude of sins, mesh wise at least.

:wink:

new reply

Return to “Repainters”