Collings Foundation B-17G Crash

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

Collings Foundation B-17G Crash

Post by Cherokeepilot19 »

Happened this morning about an hour and a half ago. Unclear about what caused it, but sounds like it flew into a building or hangar while attempting to land. Reported multiple injuries.

Losing this vintage airplanes is absolutely heartbreaking. Hoping that all the involved people are okay.

https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/h ... story.html
"A good landing is one you can walk away from.. A great landing is one when you can reuse the plane!" :D
i9-9900k @ 5.2 GHz W/C'ed
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti HYBRID 11GB
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
ASUS Z390-E | EVGA 1200w P2
970 Evo+ 512gb

Hobart Escin

Re: Collings Foundation B-17G Crash

Post by Hobart Escin »

Crashed at Bradley International, very close to A2A's home turf. I hope all of the Gentile family are okay.

Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

Post by Cherokeepilot19 »

Indeed, I just saw them up my way a few weeks ago. I've been listening to archived recordings from app/twr. Heard them say something about the "#4 engine, we'd like to land and blow it out", but he was stepped on by another aircraft. Wonder if fuel starvation or contamination played a role. Looks like from the aerial footage that it crashed into fuel tanks on the ground.

Extremely sad and depressing.
"A good landing is one you can walk away from.. A great landing is one when you can reuse the plane!" :D
i9-9900k @ 5.2 GHz W/C'ed
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti HYBRID 11GB
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
ASUS Z390-E | EVGA 1200w P2
970 Evo+ 512gb

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Extremely sad indded, my heart goes out to the people involved.

FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

This is just terribly sad. The Wings of Freedom tour comes to our local airport (KBUY) almost every year. Last year, my mom and I went and parked under the final approach path for Runway 24 and got out to watch them land as they came in. The B-17 flew low right over our heads, banking to line up on final. It was absolutely magnificent. Afterward, I deeply regretted that I didn't get it on video, and now it's even more regrettable that I didn't. Praying for the victims and their loved ones.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Damn. Sad tragedy in every sense imaginable.

I remember crawling through the Nine-O-Nine just last year when it came to Lewiston, ID. One of the nicest afternoons I had that summer.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Here is an ATC/Ground control recording from VASAviation on YouTube. The sound of the other pilots on freq and the controller is heartbreaking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU2XXGI_Ke0&t=25s
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

:cry: this is incredibly sad!!! I seen it on the news last night and could not believe it!!! I just seen her this summer at KCAK at the maps museum I went inside of it as well. I had no idea that would be for the last time. but something don't seem right I thought a B-17 could lose one engine and be just fine? so what happened here?

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

cessna lover wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:17so what happened here?
A whole team of the finest aircraft accident investigators on earth is working on that very question right now. It may take them a couple months or more, but they'll figure it out.

mglan80
Airman

Post by mglan80 »

I saw her flying over the Pennsylvania countryside coming home over the summer. Couldn’t believe my eyes. Looked into it that night and said I’d book a flight next year.

Just so sad and tragic. Can only hope for the best for the survivors and the families of those who perished.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

The engineer was on the list of injured rather than fatalities so hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on what happened. May they all rest in peace.

I'm happy that I flew on 909 three years ago and was able to see it many times over the years, including at the end of July. I know there are hundreds of these on Youtube but here's a a video from my flight. RIP, Mac.

EDIT: My embedded video disappeared for some reason. Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMTqYK3l0E
Last edited by AviationAtWar on 04 Oct 2019, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

ClipperLuna wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 16:51
A whole team of the finest aircraft accident investigators on earth is working on that very question right now. It may take them a couple months or more, but they'll figure it out.
i just can't believe that one engine failure could cause something like this. very sad indeed. I have a lot of pictures of NINE O NINE around. R.I.P :cry:

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

cessna lover wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 04:03
i just can't believe that one engine failure could cause something like this. very sad indeed. I have a lot of pictures of NINE O NINE around. R.I.P :cry:
I read somewhere that an eyewitness said the engine next to the co pilots seat which would have been engine 3 was sputtering before the crash. They had already reported that they had lost 4, so most likely it was shut down. If in fact they also lost 3, maybe that was too much to handle.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cessna lover wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 04:03
I know no harm intended but please don't speculate on what "might" have caused or even not caused this accident. All other comment that avoids speculation of any kind is fine.
What happens is that once someone "suggests" what might have been a cause, others are tempted to join in and speculation begins.
We STRONGLY discourage this happening on our forums here at A2A.
Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Dudley Henriques

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 08:47 I know no harm intended but please don't speculate on what "might" have caused or even not caused this accident. All other comment that avoids speculation of any kind is fine.
What happens is that once someone "suggests" what might have been a cause, others are tempted to join in and speculation begins.
We STRONGLY discourage this happening on our forums here at A2A.
Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Dudley Henriques
Thank you Dudley.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”