BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Scotters
Airman First Class

Re: BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Post by Scotters »

I do not remember the bug happening before. I just tried other resolutions, but I still get the stutter. Its weird, because with an external view, my plane is not stuttering, but the other planes that are flying in formation are stuttering. Its like they are going up and downs super fast, like having a seizure. Its kind of hilarious.

I really don't notice the issue when there are 60 planes flying around in a furball. I'm sure its still happening, but everything is so crazy then, it really doesn't effect the fight. It really does look like after waiting for years, I can really get into BOB II and learn the game. So thank you so much for this patch, and we can hope that someone can eventually figure out how to get all of 2.13 to work on windows 10. Till then, this is great!

Still, I wish there was a way to eliminate the stuttering wing man issue. I am stumped.

Your other suggestion about clicking the size button on the campaign map worked great to get rid of any distortion or issues on the map after a battle. Thank you for that.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Scotters, nice it helped to solve some of your problems.

If using official 2.01 patch this bug doesn't happen so maybe it comes due some changes I did, so I will tell you how to revert.

Firts open your bdg.txt and test changing:

OPTIMISE_OBJECTS_DURING_RUNTIME=OFF

to

OPTIMISE_OBJECTS_DURING_RUNTIME=ON

(It will bug Tigermoth cockpit making it invisible since it doesn't have low lod but try it just for testing)

If it makes no difference try changing the cockpit view FOV.

So go to "Options" / "Adv." / and change the following lines:

Maximum Field of View 80

Initial field of View 60

I changed the values from these two lines to "110" for you see spitfire mirror without zoom out everytime but maybe it bugs for your screen resolution, so use default values that are "80" for Maximum Field of View and "60" for Initial field of View.

If nothing works delete your bdg.txt and start game so a new default one will be generated again.
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hey Scotters, just check watching this video I recorded if the Stuttering bug you are reporting is these shaking movements made by A.I... cause if so it's common since there are a lot of weird movements on old patches, like the famous "UFO maneuvers" (these shaking movements means A.I acelerating and decelerating very fast to maintain the same speed and altitude as you). So I can't do anything about that since it's .exe codes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7PInIYEqMI

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

That video is exactly my issue.

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

The 'juddering' (and sometimes, jerky banking movements) of aircraft flying in formation in that video is much the same as I'm seeing in 2.13. If it's better in 2.13, it's not by much. Not that I notice much, as I don't fly along watching my squadron or section closely! Just the way it works, always has done IIRC - the price paid for enabling aircraft to fly in close (and/or large) formations. I have Wind Gusts (not Wind Effects) turned off, which might or might not tone it down a bit. Par for the course.

If you look at your own plane in the external view, it shudders a bit, too, noticeably when manoeuvring. Again that was always a feature of BoB/BoB2 from what I recall. Looking at aerobatic team cockpit videos, there can be a certain amount of swaying or even bouncing around, so the effect isn't completely absent in real life, just a bit exaggerated.

In BoB (1) you also used to get what looked like multiplayer lag sometimes, when a plane you were chasing would suddenly jump or 'rubber band' several feet to one side or up/down. Probably what Felizpe describes as a UFO move. Don't recall seeing that since I restarted playing BoB2 intensively, about 10 months back.

So I think you are good to go!
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Scotters, mystery unraveled! ;)

Yeah 33lima3, the UFO maneuver was exactly that! ;) Didn't know these bugs also happened in 2.13 patch, generally it happens when I'm fighting against bf110 maybe due it's twin-engine I don't know.

There is also the "Mother Ship" bug where while shooting bombers they start launching planes from inside, like if the debris turn into bombers or fighters, the most weird is that the game will draw the texture used for these ghost planes, I already saw full white, yellow and orange bf109s 8)

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

Guys, thanks for all the help. I just played around for a bit, trying different aircraft, messing around in the campaign. I just love this game. Not worries about the planes having seizures, its really not an issue. I can definitely live with it.

One questions, I tried right clicking with the mouse in order to manipulate the controls in the planes, but its not working. I tried looking at the key mapping options to find a setting for this, but I didn't see it. As I learn how to actually fly the different planes, I definitely want to be able to use the mouse to manipulate certain levers and buttons. I also am using a warthog hotas with pedals and track ir. Not sure if the track ir is causing this issue, or if right clicking with the mouse no longer works to manipulate controls in the cockpit.

Any ideas?

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Scotters you're welcome! To activate Interactive Cockpit Just go to Options / Sim / Engine Management ... And set it to "Manual"

Right Mouse Button enters/exit Interactive Cockpit Mode / Left Mouse Button Manipulate Levers and Buttons (The only plane that doesn't have interactive cockpit is Tiger Moth)

If you are already using Engine Management Manual so the problem must be track ir and I don't know how to fix it since I never used it and there is no way to remap keys for interactive cockpit...

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

Felizpe,
I just figured out about the engine management thing last night as I was reading the manual! RTFM, as they say at Falcon BMS, right?

Thanks again for all of your help. I never thought that I could play this game again, and CLOD Blitz is nice, but it just can't compare to BOB II without a dynamic campaign, nor can it compete with the hundreds of planes on the screen at once. What a great game!

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hey chaps, BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH was Updated to Version 2 today!

V.2 Change List:

-New Spitfire Mk.IIa Texture (Optional Addon)
-New Spitfire Cockpit
-New Hurricane Willie McKnight Painting
-New Options Background
-Some Textures Fixes

New Spitfire Mk.IIa Texture (Optional Addon)

New Spitfire Cockpit

New Hurricane Willie McKnight Painting

New Options Background

(ALL DOWNLOAD LINKS WERE UPDATED TO V2 ON FIRST POST)

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

They all look really good!

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks for the comment Boreas! Hope some of the content could also be enjoyed by 2.13 players ;)

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

First, Felizpe, you have my thanks and gratitude for allowing people to play this game again on Win 10. Hopefully one day there will be a way to play the full V 2.13 on Win 10, but until that day, this is awesome!

I have a question about the update. So if I already have V1 of the patch, if I update to V2, will all my settings be reset? It was a pain getting it set up, and I really don't want to go through all of that again.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Scotters thanks for the message! I'm grateful but I'm not responsible for making it playable on windows 10, Bob2 (Original 2.0 version and Patch 2.01) always was playable on windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 we just didn't notice that in time to coders work over it... So I only adapted 2.13 files and added many personal addons to it :wink:

Well, If you wanna backup your settings make a backup from "bdg.txt" file , "KEYBOARD" folder and "SAVEGAME" folder

So you will have all your settings safe! :)

pickle144
Airman Basic

Post by pickle144 »

Just want to indicate that so far I have been having success with the initial v2 and BDG patch 2.04. I have tried patch 2.05 with multiskin and it failed with the infamous alt-x at end of mission. Below are the fixes that was in 2.04:

What is in 2.04?
1. New Features
2. Stability
3. Performance Improvements
4. Fixes

FIXES

1. BF110 engine performance problem.
2. After burner speed up problem for Bombers.
3. Landing gear down problem, on Low Level Attack Mission.
4. Player engine sound stopping
5. Fixed CTD on Campaign photo
6. Fighter bailout changes to increase bailouts. Note: BOB_FIGHTERFIX=ON in BDG.txt
7. AI smoothing and fixing strange/odd maneuvers. Added transition maneuver to SimpleACM and ManualACM processes.
8. BF110 engine going out of sync when going to Manual-AutoPilot-Manual.
9. Strengthened mid-air collision between player and AI A/C so it is much more difficult for the player to fly back to base.
10. Death Warp/Speed up fixed.
11. After player bail out, players A/C now heads to the ground rather that looking like it was on autopilot.
12. Prevented AI A/C from doing vertical maneuvers when energy level is low and the AI A/C cannot do the maneuver properly.
13. Add an option based on a random number for a fighter/Ju87 to blowup when it has significant engine damage (by user request to have A/C blow up sometimes). Note: BOB_FIGHTERFIX=ON in Bdg.txt.
14. The Ju87 was added to the fighters and with significant engine damage they will either blowup, crash, or bailout. The bailout will only occur if the A/C canopy has not been damaged. If the canopy is damaged the A/C will crash and you hear a Texas death yell. Note: BOB_FIGHTERFIX=ON in BDG.txt.
15. Changed the RAF player's A/C to display MPH on the info line by user request.
16. Deleted Rolling fire ball effect from A/C explosions.
17. Fixed the Novice JU87 takeoff problem (crashed or tipped over)
18. Fixed Novice Wheel Rolling problem (except tail wheel)
19. Converted to MPH from Knots for imperial units in Spit and Hurri gauge
20. Fixed Airspeed Cal for both Spit and Hurri
21. Boost Gauge in both Hurri and Spit to work more correctly
22. Fixed a second CTD when using Photo in Campaign
23. Add RenderD3D9.cpp CTD prevention code.
24. Fixed CTD in JimCol.cpp that occurred mostly in Replay
25. Fixed the 1-on-1 "Engage" problem
26. Fixed Fileman CTD (note may not be the last one)
27. Fixed "lost device" CTD (I called the rerun CTD)
28. Fixed the jittery and un-natural movements for both the DISENGAGE and the SCREWYOUGUYSIAMGOINGHOME SimpleACM maneuvers.
29. Blue Six developed changes for the ACM file to permit easier landing for the 109 (not sure if included or used change required)
30. For the BGG.txt paramenter SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE, fixed the NONE vs LIMITED bug so they are different now (NONE is wide open FPS and LIMITED is a hard limit of about 32 FPS).
31. Fixed a buffet sound bug if you fail to get your gear up before you reach 140mph on take-off. You will then get the gear buffet noise as you should, but then once the gear is up the buffet sound does not go away. It should go way once the gear is fully retracted assuming it's still fully functional and not damaged.
32. Fixed the A/C sitting on the ground at a stop but having a pogo stick effect (small bounce up and down). The pogo effect could be seen if you reduce the gear bounce in the ACM file.
33. Reduced collision detection on trees to allow closer over-flights w/o causing a collision.
34. Autocanopy fix.
35. ObjectAdds would often appear damaged, although they had not been bombed. This is not only wrong but also reduced fps. As the fix was a late addition and a 100% test not possible as the error has been non-reproducable we made the fix switchable via a bdg-text-variable "FIX_OBJECTADDS", so that we are on the safe side.
36. Engine more resistant to background application processes (ALT-TAB work)
37. Memory and file handle leaks fixed.
38. A statically allocated string was dynamically freed.
39. 2.04 as previous versions has been compile by version 6 of Microsoft's Visual C++ Compiler. However we made "test compiles" with the newest version (8) and looked at all new warnings it generated and fixed all the critical ones. This includes a runtime one.
40. Apart from the fixes mentioned above, a lot of code was written to make BoB more robust: Added missing End-function, even more array range checking, additional pointer tests, debug code (to notice/find bugs), fix bad loop exit (one off), wrong use of array new, ignoring certain exceptions, add assertions, add a time out value, better checks for some invalid userchangable values, add/improve error messages, more debugoutput during startup etc

NEW FEATURES

(A New feature for our Kids/Novice users is Novice AI, Novice Bullets, Novice AI Speed control, and Novice larger targets that are used with Novice FM). These features are all individually selectable in the BDG.txt and should allow our kids/grandkids to better enjoy BobII at a Novice/Jr level.

(* means feature is user changeable via the bdg.txt)

New AI features

1. Novice_Stronger_Bullits. The bullets are about 20% stronger for those who want to get on with it (like when I test) and so our Kids/Novice users can shoot down the AI easier and have more fun until seasoned.*
2. Novice_AI_Airspeed_Fraction. This will control the AI speed as a fraction of 100% (like set to .75 for a 25% speed reduction). You can then slow down the AI for our Kids/Novice users to better enjoy BOBII until seasoned.*
3. Novice_Target_Size. This increase the AI target size for the Kids/Novice users so they can get easier kills.*
4. Novice_AI. This give the Kids/Novice user a less aggressive but hopefully challenging subset of the AI Maneuvres so our they can better enjoy BobII, it will be easier, and they can have more fun until seasoned.*
5. Collision_Avoidance. Added collision avoidance for player (only) to prevent most collisions with AI A/C. Very fast collisions (especially headon) may still occur as AI A/C may skid in making very quick maneuver and not get out of the way.*
6. Warp/Jump analysis/debug (Jump_Test_Tool_Percent_X)*
7. Maneuvre_Testing (Maneuvre_Testing). This will permit the coder to get data for debug analysis concerning AI and FM issues/problems.*
8. New aircraft explosions to simulate the occasional occurrence of an exploding fuel tank or detonating bombs
9. New damaged aircraft / engine behavior
..........a. Lighter engine damage. The bomber leaves formation and heads home. Keep hitting his engine to increase damage.
..........b. Heaver engine damage then. The crew bails, bomber blows up, or crashes (crew killed by smoke (equal chance here).

NEW VISUAL / SOUND / DAMAGE EFFECTS
(recommend OPTIONS / MORE GFX / PARTICL:E DENSITY = HIGH)

1. New tracer and tracersmoke effects for .303 and German 20mm cannon (bomber defensive guns currently use same tracer effect as the .303 - if we want different colors, let me know specifically the colors we should use)
2. AAA and Flak guns now have new effects flash and gunsmoke effects (AAA have tracer smoke too)
3. New fire and smoke effects (3 stages) implemented on the He111 and Ju88 (will be further improved after an additional code change due soon)
4. New fuel burst effect used for ground-based fuel tanks including ground-based aircraft when strafed
5. Large, black towering smoke for ammo dump explosions (should be FPS friendly too)
6. Smoking / burning debris for critical hits on large ground targets
7. All vehicles can now be damaged and destroyed
8. Enhanced battlefield damage dynamic smoke, fire, and charged ground effects
9. New bullet hitting brick buildings effect
10. New aircraft explosion effects (works with the new mid-air fuel tank / bomb detonation explosions)
11. 5 New player aircraft bullet-hit sounds and adjusted sound when other targets are hit with guns
12. Flak explosion sounds improved quality with a 33% increase in sound travel
13. New aircraft and battlefield gun sounds
14. People run from populated ground objects when attacked
15. Brighton Pier added with LOD's (level's of detail). The far tiles actually have the pier in the terrain tiles. There is a gap between the point where this far tile texture disappears and the actual object appears. This cannot be helped due to the maximum allowed distance to draw objects. (Tim Evenden, support work by Scott gentile and Ben Evenden)

NEW ARTWORK / CONTENT

1. Cures the flying cliffs on the Isle of Wight (HH)
2. Mapping the Pas de Calais region of France (DB, Heini, HH, especially PV!)
3. The Cerne Abbas giant and Maiden castle in Dorset (HH)
4. Removes animals from all Fighter Command airfields (HH)
5. Harbour to Folkestone (PV)
6. Removes flashes of sea in several places (HH)
7. Raise FPS slightly and improve looks at Tangmere, Kenley and Biggin Hill (HH)
8. Puts Stonehenge in it's proper place (HH, PV)
9. Improved the North of England,with some of Derbyshire mapped (HH)
10. Stop roads going over woods at several places near Kenley airfield (HH)
11. Northern France. New SRTM height data added from Coquelles to just South of Boulogne (PV)
12. Rebuilt Dover. Area around Dover was corrupted, so tile could not be worked on (PV)
13. East Kent. New SRTM height data added (HH)
14. Corrected RDF stations locations and changed CHL to be CHL stations, and CH to be CH stations (HH)
15. Kenley Hangers rotated correctly (HH)
16. Layout of CH stations modified to be more histori (HH)
17. Objects added for Boulogne harbour (HH)
18. Improved water textures (fresnel) and settings

Artwork / Content credits: HH: Hurricane Hicken, PV: Pete Vincent, DB: Don E. Brooke, Heini von Seppel

MISC

1. We optimised framerate, for example by reducing the number of so called "state changes" during rendering of the 3D scene.
2. At the same time as 2.04 we will ship a "quick.dat editor" which is one tool needed for mission editing. This made a new file format necessary in 2,04, which supports strings to be in the user changable mission file and not the boblang.dll
3. New selectable weather, water, and sky*
4. Thanks to Ken, added new ACM file to improve the control of the slats
5. BF109_Slats_Open_Close_Sounds. It controls the simulated sound of the 109 slats opening and closing*
6. Flight Modeling tweaks to various aircraft, including less gear bounce for the Spitfire.
7. Improved Particle System, for example time based trail color
8. Misc minor stuff like for example Removing obsolete bdg.txt settings.

Known Issues
1. Triangles at the top of screen for a few seconds
2. Lines at certain angles in the clouds
3. Water texture for a second where land was before
4. Improper crash with death screen on certain tiles
5. Crash on runway (several kinds). Note: workaround rename the objectAdds folder
6. Smoke puffs that sometimes are found hanging in the air

it can be found here: https://www.4players.de/4players.php/do ... h_204.html

Also patches 2.05 and above with multiskins can be found here: https://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/515/7

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”