BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Felizpe
Airman First Class

BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Chaps, this is Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory Patch 2.13 files adapted over 2.01 exe made to run on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 . It will change Textures, Sounds, Plane Models and Configs. I also adapted Tiger Moth plane to work with it without replace any playable aircraft so doesn't breaking campaign or other plane sounds. (As it uses patch 2.01 exe it doesn't include many fixes like AI improvements, new ground objects and MultiSkin feature from Patch 2.13)

I also added to this patch many personal addons made by me (If you don't like fictional Addons I added a backup for all original planes from patch 2.13). So after you install this Patch it will appear a new folder "Addons (OPTIONAL)" inside your "Battle of Britain II" folder, so inside it you will find all my addons and the default 2.13 Patch addons so if you want to restore 2.13 original planes textures install the files inside "7-DEFAULT 2.13 Patch Addons" folder.

V.1 Change List (20/09/2019):

-New Main Menu Background
-Added Playable Tiger Moth plane for Instant Action without bugging campaign or any aircraft sounds (It replaces Defiant model and uses unused sound slots for engine sounds)
-2.13 Textures, Planes and Sounds adapted for 2.01
-Fixed Spitfire unstable landing on ground leading to wing drop crashes
-Edited planes weight problems that made some aircrafts heavy (Like Bf109 hard climb that causes A.I unable to accomplish loop manouvers making them stalling in the air like sitting ducks)
-Edited Gunsight position for all planes for better shot accuracy
-Made all Clouds more transparent so you can see enemies inside them when close
-Eagle Squadron Spitfire Fictitious texture from Pearl Harbor Movie
-Rafe McCawley skin from Pearl Harbor Movie for Spitfire/Hurricane/Tiger Moth pilot (It also changes parachutist model)
-Sikh Indian Spitfire/Hurricane Planes Textures and Pilots (OPTIONAL ADDON inspired by Squadron Leader Mahinder Singh Pujji)
-Erich Hartmann skin for Luftwaffe pilot (Just a Homage to the Ace of the Aces)
-BF 109 Fictitious Erich Hartmann Karaya Emblem (Inspired by Adolf Galland painting over M109ULF_IIJG26_G_V3 texture from Bf109 more solid colours by Boreas)
-Stuka Fictitious Texture (Painting inspired by 4/st.G77 France 1940 + st.G77 Balkans)
-Pin-UP Cockpit Girl Pictures
-Fixed "ObjectAdds" invisible ground objects collisions Bug
-4GB RAM Patched 2.01 exe

V.2 Change List (12/10/2019):

-New Spitfire Mk.IIa Texture (Optional Addon)
-New Spitfire Cockpit
-New Hurricane Willie McKnight Painting
-New Options Background
-Some Textures Fixes

V.3 Change List (29/11/2019):

-Added 2.13 Cockpit Instrument Textures to fix Spitfire Directional Gyro
-Added Spitfire Mk.IIa Czechoslovak Squadron Insignia (Optional Addon)
-Fixed Hurricane Willie McKnight Painting adding Skeleton Decal on both sides like real one
-Added Tiger Moth Serial Number
-Improved Bf109, Bf110 and Stuka Cockpit View for a better Nose View
-Bf109 red light reflex under cockpit like IL-2 Cliffs of Dover
-New Erich Hartmann Blue Flying Uniform for Luftwaffe Pilot
-Inverted Magnetos On/Off position for Stuka cockpit texture
-Fixed daily "JU52.pcx" crash bug (INVALID TEXTURE crash may still happen)
-Fixed "Preload Standard Files" bug creating infinite # UDETBUOY and # BULLET1 lines inside "Preload" folder
-Added Mouse as Stick Config for who wants to play without Joystick (Optional Addon)
-Many Texture Improvements

V.4 Change List (28/12/2019):

-New WW2 Propaganda Posters Campaign Background
-New Replay Menu Background
-New Fly Menu Background
-New Tree type
-Improved Gunsight and Bullet Textures
-Activated "Bullet_DragGravity=ON" for more realism
-Edited some Mouse as Stick config keys
-Added DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) to Installer file

INSTALLATION

(Attention: This Patch requires BOB2 Original CD Release since it needs original registry. It will not work on BOB2 Matrix Games version since it comes with 2.06 Patch included. So if you installed any previous patched versions before uninstall it first and install old BOB2 Original CD Release again to restore registry)

1-Install original "Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory" game from CD

2-Install this "BOB2 Windows 10 Patch" over your bob2 game directory at: C:\Battle of Britain II

3-At the end of the installation a window will open and ask you to Install DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010). Install it since it's needed for BOB2 works on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10

4-Always run "bob.exe" as Administrator and in Compatibility Mode "Windows XP" (Or else you may have mute radio chat sounds and other bugs)

5-On Game Main Menu go to Options / Menu / Controls / Key Mapping

Find "EXITKEY"

And then Clear [Alt+X] command and replace it to another key of your choice like [End] for example, then click save. (It helps in case your Windows uses Alt+X for some system shortcut command causing the game to crash)

REQUIRED SOFTWARES FOR THE GAME WORKS IN WINDOWS 10 AND 11

-Install DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
-Install K-Lite Codec Pack Full (Or else the game crashes when videos play)
-Activate DirectPlay in your Windows
-Install Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One
-Install and Activate .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
-Install nGlide - Glide wrapper
-Check if DirectDraw acceleration and Direct3D acceleration are enabled in your windows

VERSION 4 RELEASED (DOWNLOAD LINKS)

DOWNLOAD LINK V.4 (Mod DB): https://www.moddb.com/mods/bob2-windows-10-patch
DOWNLOAD LINK V.4 (MEGA): https://mega.nz/#!S5QgxCDJ!EjNIVP3Yr4od ... 6Cyp7vwICk
DOWNLOAD LINK V.4 (MediaFire): http://www.mediafire.com/file/7ez604jsj ... 9.exe/file
DOWNLOAD LINK V.4 (Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HwznLM ... fDNR_/view
DOWNLOAD LINK V.4 (OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av8smKguKX_Rhh4d-Ne ... A?e=mRYi7l
Last edited by Felizpe on 18 Oct 2022, 21:13, edited 19 times in total.
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Re: BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Post by ShadowShooter »

Good on you, Felizpe! :) Thanks for the work and making it available.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks for the message ShadowShooter! This Patch is very limited for all 2.13 features but if anyone knows how to adapt ground terrain models, objects or other features to it be welcome for contribution ;)

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

I'm on Win 7, but this is a great job and adds some future-proofing for the game. Thank you.

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

Brilliant work, downloading now!

Like Mickvet said, even for those like us on Win 7, it's great that there is now a 2.01-based version of BoB2 for Win 10 users. I will at some point make a second install for my dual boot system, to use this patch in Win 10.

It would be great to get Multiskin working with this. There was an earlier version of Multiskin, which before 2.13 was a separate download from the BDG update - there may have been an earlier one but the 2.08 version is still on ModDB here: https://www.moddb.com/games/battle-of-b ... iskin-pack I wonder if this or an earlier version of Multiskin would work with 2.01? Does someone know if Multiskin is compatible with 2.01?
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Will be a great way to experience BoB2 in windows 10 and includes some nice looking new content!

Bad0pel
Airman Basic

Post by Bad0pel »

Thanks for this, I've been wanting to fly in BoBII again for quite some time. I've had better luck with this patch and got some flying time in. Unfortunately, with some of the added 2.13 features, it still feel very much like your playing exactly that. 2.01. Here are the things I've noticed (its been so long since i remembered how much 2.13 added to BoBII compared to 2.01) Cannot choose to do a pilot campaign, Formations and AI are super janky, 2.13 plane sounds are un-noticeable (fly-bys), Sometimes AI does not shoot (was zig zagging in a bomber formation and no one budged), Fighter AI sometimes wont break at all to engage (nor do the friendly fighter AI). So far, I've tried multiple versions of the multi-skin patch but it crashes when loading into the game world, so this is no option.

I know this is a patch over for 2.01 and i appreciate the effort you put into this. But it bums me out and feels like a tease in a way, the fact its playable on Win10 (sorta) but you can't have the full 2.13 experience. Nevertheless thank you again, and maybe (hopefully) you'll be the key to figuring out how to make this all possible! because A2A seems to not care about this title. Too small a niche compared to their Add-on aircraft for MS/P3D.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Mickvet, thanks for the message man!!! ;)

33lima3, Really thanks man glad you have a dual boot system! It would be really nice if I could adapt multiskin feature to this path but as all adaptation was made without .exe changes I'm not sure if multiskin script would activate without a code line inserted to the new patches .exe files. But I will check for possibility thanks for the link ;)

Boreas, thanks for your message man and for all your texture contributions over 2.13 patch! ;)

Bad0pel, thanks for the message! Yeah it's not possible to compare it to official 2.13 patch since it's limited to 2.01 codes. This patch is just a way to play BOB2 on windows 8/8.1/10 using many 2.13 addons and play campaign and all instant missions without CTDs (having also the privilege to experience old funny moments like UFO manouvers and Cows inside airfields :D). Well, hope someone could adapt more features to it but my real wish is that some coder works for 2.13 exe and adapt it to windows 10 ;)

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

Awsome!!!!!!!!
Great work guys!
One only starts to live after seeing the Elephant.

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

It works! Thank you!

I need help with a few issues. I have an alienware aurora R7 with a 2080 TI gpu, Intel 8700 cpu win 10, 32 gb ram. My native screen resolution is 1920 X1080.

Planes are stuttering. Not sure if its the resolution or what. I tried both 1920 X 1080 and I tried 4k. Both still had stuttering. Happens every time.

After fighting in a massive battle in the campaign, my whole screen was stuttering and I could not change views. I could still exit using the J key. This may be a one time glitch though.

Any ideas or tips?

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi attilla, thanks for the message! :)

Hi Scotters, thanks for the message I'm not sure how to solve your stuttering bug but try the following methods:

1-Open "bdg.txt" in notepad and find the line:

SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=

Change "NONE" value for others like "SMOOTHEN" or "LIMITED” . there are 3 modes so choose the best for your video card (For my video card NONE is the one that works better for fps):

SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=NONE

SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=SMOOTHEN

SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=LIMITED

So test each one of them and also press "SHIFT + F" during gameplay to check FPS.

2-Another option if all above don't work is open your NVIDIA Settings and try changing settings like "Enable Vsync" test using values ON or OFF . Test also antialiasing values ON or OFF for every other NVIDIA Settings since it uses these configs over bob2 original GFX filtering values and maybe bugs the game.

3-Check if you downloaded and installed DirectX 9.0c (June 2010 redistributable)
Last edited by Felizpe on 28 Sep 2019, 18:07, edited 4 times in total.

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

[quote=Scotters post_id=524447 time=1569684205 user_id=103255]
It works! Thank you!

I need help with a few issues. I have an alienware aurora R7 with a 2080 TI gpu, Intel 8700 cpu win 10, 32 gb ram. My native screen resolution is 1920 X1080.

Planes are stuttering. Not sure if its the resolution or what. I tried both 1920 X 1080 and I tried 4k. Both still had stuttering. Happens every time.

After fighting in a massive battle in the campaign, my whole screen was stuttering and I could not change views. I could still exit using the J key. This may be a one time glitch though.

Any ideas or tips?
[/quote]

There are 4Gig patches available which can be used to patch exes of older games in order to improve memory capability. There is one for GTR2, which I think works with any game. There are also options in your Bob2 ini file which allow one to smoothen and limit framerates, which might help.

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

Haven't tried this yet so hard to say. Not being able to change views but able to quit during serious stuttering reminds me of what I see in the cockpit when I've been shot down and wounded/killed. I don't suppose that fits this situation?

'Planes stuttering', as opposed to the whole game stuttering? In older versions going back to the original Rowan game and perhaps early versions of BoB2, aircraft in formation sometimes exhibit 'jerky' behaviour, like banking suddenly and sharply into a turn together.

At the moment and with a sigficantly lower spec PC, the only time I see any stutter is briefly at the start of some of the historical mega-missions when a huge formation of German aircraft is being rendered (or changing from distant to closer Level of Detail) all at the same time. This is with 2.13 of course but especially without Multiskin, 2.01 should be less demanding in many respects.

I would suggest trying one of the basic training missions like landing, but just flying around for a bit, and seeing if that runs smoothly, then working up to the single bomber interception.

God luck!
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

Thank you all for the suggestions! You guys rock!!!

Before I did anything, I checked my frame rate, at it was at 30FPS!
I tried everything after that. Now with Smoothen on and Vsync on, I am at 58 to 60FPS, but when I look out my window, the friendly planes near me still stutter. Its a slight stutter, but its still not natural.

Without Vsync, I get some really bad screen tearing. AA is left to Application controlled.

So, with the 4gp patch, Direct X 9.0C, VSync on, Smoothen on, things are pretty good (58 FPS average), but still I have that stuttering issue. My whole screen does not stutter, just other planes when I am flying in formation and look out my window. So its playable, but annoying. In a furball, its so crazy with so many manuvers, and planes are more at a distance, so I really don't notice it, but I wasn't really playing seriously and trying to shoot anyone down, I was just testing things, but hopefully it won't affect me in a dogfight.

One other issue, playing at 4k in 3d, and 1920 X 1080 on the campaign map, is that after exiting a battle my bottom bar in the campaign map is messed up a bit, with a line going across the bottom, and the inability to scroll across. (I can still scroll up and down, and zoom.) Again, its playable, just annoying.

So if there are any other suggestions, especially for the stuttering, I would really appreciate it. And again, thank you so much for the patch that makes this game playable.
-------------------------
Update after trying more things.

Still no luck. I played with the AA settings. I have them on and 8X, which makes things look better, but no effect on stuttering. Tried both 3k and 4K, and I tried them both at 59FPS setting in the menu, no effect. I also tried adaptive VSYNC, but then I got screen tearing, and no effect on stuttering.

So right now at 4k, highest settings, AA at 8X, VSync on, Smoothness on, and it runs great, but with stuttering issue when I look at other planes. My screen itself does not stutter, just other planes when I am close to them. Its easiest to see when flying in formation almost wing tip to wing tip. I just look out my window, at its really noticeable. MY FPS are around 58 FPS, but they fluctuate rapidly, the numbers are changing at lightning speed. So that has to be what I am seeing when looking at other planes close up. The clouds are fine, the ground is fine, my cockpit is fine and smooth as I look around. When looking at my own plane externally, I barely notice stuttering.

So I am still stumped. Any other ideas?

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Scotters, I would like to help you but I can't understand what is generating this bug since I never had it. I think it's related to your screen resolution, maybe bob2 don't run well on 1920 X 1080 or 4K... My resolution is 1366 X 768 and I don't have this bug.

So, did you try using lower video resolutions like go to "Options" / "GFX" / "Use Desktop Res (Recommended) = OFF" and then go to "3D Resolution" and test other resolutions like 1024x768x32. Try this just for testing, so test all resolutions with all refresh rate like 60Hz, 70 HZ, 75Hz just to see if this bug is related to your high resolution.

Another question is when you play bob2 without any patch (Original 2.0 version), or using official 2.01 patch or 2.13 Patch this bug also happens?

About the campaign map bug, in the Upper Right Corner there are 3 red buttons "EXIT" , "Toolbar Control" and "Size" so when this bug happens try click on "Size" button that will make the window change from full screen to windowed mode and maybe restore it.

Hope you find a way to solve your problem ;)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”