MILVIZ pulled the pin on FSX

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
fleurenf
Airman First Class

MILVIZ pulled the pin on FSX

Post by fleurenf »

MILVIZ flight simulations announced back in February 2019 that they will no longer develop FSX aircraft. I do hope A2A will add a twin turbo-prop to the hangar. :D
Yours in flying,
Fred
Dell i7 1.8GHz; 8gb ram; AMD Graphics 2gb; Win10
Image Image Image

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: MILVIZ pulled the pin on FSX

Post by AviationAtWar »

I saw that not long ago. I don't have any Milviz aircraft but it's disappointing to see. I'm not planning to move away from FSX until A2A stops developing for it.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

To be honest it is probably not that far off.. The more complex the products get, and the more they start using the build in P3D features like PBR it will become inevitable.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

fleurenf
Airman First Class

Post by fleurenf »

AviationAtWar wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 17:59 I saw that not long ago. I don't have any Milviz aircraft but it's disappointing to see. I'm not planning to move away from FSX until A2A stops developing for it.
Totally agree here.
Yours in flying,
Fred
Dell i7 1.8GHz; 8gb ram; AMD Graphics 2gb; Win10
Image Image Image

hazzer111
Airman

Post by hazzer111 »

Why do you feel like its a bad thing that they are moving forward and arent stuck using an ancient program?

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Many of us are heavily invested in FSX and aren't ready to make the jump to a new computer, a new flight sim program and re purchasing many of our add ons. Moving forward isn't a bad thing but it's disappointing that the curtain is starting to draw closed on FSX.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

hazzer111 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 07:58 Why do you feel like its a bad thing that they are moving forward and arent stuck using an ancient program?
The one and only reason why this is bad, for me, is because P3D offers nothing to me but eye candy. The flight simulation between FSX and P3D is largely unchanged. I don't have features that enhance the realism of the flight simulation experience and for that reason alone, I have no plans to migrate.

I'm willing to tolerate the not so great clouds and fog because ASN has fixed it for me for the most part.

As soon as they start enhancing the flight simulation engine with more realistic winds that are affected by thermals, surface and obstacles, uneven runway surfaces, etc. I'll seriously consider jumping ship.

MS Flight had excellent ground handling and uneven runway surfaces and I still love that aspect of that simulator. :(

FSX is pretty much as good as it gets, for now.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

MS Flight had excellent ground handling and uneven runway surfaces and I still love that aspect of that simulator.
You're not allowed to say you liked Microsoft Flight. Every time I do I get attacked. It's unfortunate they pulled the plug on it as it would have brought a lot of new people into the hobby. Imagine MS Flight on every Windows install disk, with a free base game and inexpensive DLC for those who want more. Think of it as a super Minesweeper.

Prepar3D version 4 is a lot more than eye candy. They've optimized a lot to make it run smoother and with a better frame rate with the options turned up higher. The major improvement is no more out of memory errors. I thought it was mostly eye candy until I bought it, I just wanted to get rid of the OOMs. My earlier P3Dv2.5 was mostly eye candy though.

FSX still has a major edge over P3D for new simmers. There is a lot included for the new player. I recommend FSX over P3D for anyone just getting into flight simming for this reason alone. It doesn't hurt that FSX is somewhat less expensive. :)

As for a developer abandoning FSX, they'll be missing out on the sales to all those new people, although development may be simpler with only one platform. Or two, if they're also developing for XPlane. I won't be concerned until a significant percentage of developers have abandoned FSX.

Hook

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes, I really liked the flight simulation in MS Flight for what it was worth.

I have never I've experienced an OOM, and my frames are generally very stable at 25. I have ASN, and A2A aircraft and that's it. I run in a 4K monitor with Direct 10 preview, no shimmies, no jaggies, no blurries.

It is a great flight simulator.

Could it look better with photorealistic scenery or volumetric clouds or better shadows or lighting? Sure it could! Will it make it any more realistic or immersive for me, emphasis on me? Not at all! Plus I never suffer problems with performance or OOMs because I'm not pushing the limits of the engine.

The one major gripe I have with FSX is night flying. The lighting is very poor, but I also see that P3D remains just as per on that front. Once again that gives me no reason to migrate.

On the other hand, Flight nailed night lighting and clouds, fog, etc. I was thrilled with that functionality as well.

Maybe one day there will be a worthy successor. I just can't justify the excessive cost for more of the exact same, for my needs.

And what is my use case?

Procedures simulation. Fly approaches, SIDs and perform flows in IMC, mostly at night.

Occasionally fly in VMC in daytime, but still usually at night.

So what I see out the window should generally be mostly solid black or white for most of the flight! At the beginning or end of the flight a runway environment. :mrgreen:

I acknowledge that I am very likely the exception here, but just explaining why I would be very disappointed if FSX support were to be dropped by developers without replacing it with a better product. I know that other simmers have other requirements. I also understand why they may be forced to drop support out of simple economics. I do design software for a living, so I get that.

This post made from my rotary mobile phone. :P
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The one major gripe I have with FSX is night flying. The lighting is very poor, but I also see that P3D remains just as per on that front.

P3Dv4.4 and earlier lighting looked about the same as FSX. The 4.5 version released today improves the night lighting. They have a screen shot at prepar3d.com in the news section.

I was pushing limits on the sim and getting OOMs. I did a lot of testing and figured out which options needed to be lowered by one notch and after doing that the OOMs went away. The big one was LOD_Radius. I had an external VAS monitor that I included in my instrument scan. :) This was not as much fun as it sounds. :D

I do all my flying low and slow and I do a lot of sightseeing and dead reckoning navigation, forgoing use of the GPS. I need to see stuff on the ground. The major bonus for me with P3Dv4 was that autogen went out a lot farther than in earlier versions. Literally all the way to the horizon if you're under 2000 feet AGL, and the horizon is farther away. In fact, airports are harder to find because there's so much autogen... but I ain't gonna reduce it. :)

For your purposes these features won't be of much benefit. For me, they are essential.

I'm a retired programmer and have been involved with a lot of small businesses so I understand as well. If the spreadsheet says something isn't profitable, then it may not be. Not everything is in the numbers on the spreadsheet though.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”