Pilots book?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Pilots book?

Post by francesco.doenz »

After a few years absence and for my retirement I am back in the hobby and delving this time into the Mustang.... Is there an equivalent book of flying the P-51 as there are RobertJohnson's P-47 book and Jeffrey Quills Spitfire books?
Many thanks already for all your your inputs!!

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Pilots book?

Post by Skycat »

An Ace of the Eighth is an autobiographical account by Norman "Bud" Fortier. He flew P-47s from September 1943 until his squadron transitioned to P-51s in April 1944. By V-E Day he had flown 113 combat missions and officially credited with 5.8 aerial combat victories. Overall, a good read.

In all honesty "An Ace of the Eighth" is the only P-51 biography I've read. If I were pursuing the subject further I'd most likely read To Fly and Fight: Memoirs of a Triple Ace by Clarence "Bud" Anderson. It's a classic on par with Robert Johnson's Thunderbolt.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Bud Andersons Book is great and covers some great missions, stories and also training in the P-39 which is interesting to read off. As a 16 year old I read it on a holiday to Florida when it was one of the books in the villa we had for the fortnight. Was awesome co-incidence and I read it top speed cover to cover during those 2 weeks 8)

Also dont forget we have Dudley here on the forums, up there with the best when it comes to number of hours in the Mustang and always happy to answer questions on his experiences flying the P-51 on the airshow circuits and what not, plus being a simmer also helps a whole lot over a pilot who is not a simmer. 8)

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

Many thanks for all your inputs! Yes I know of course Dudley, I guess I follow his advices since more than many many years, when I started the hobby and the first I read from him was when flying the Spit from RealAir....I was young at this time...and then I found your A2A aircrafts starting with the Jug and Spit!
But I like to read books from pilots and reading about their feelings while flying, it adds to the immersion when flying yourself in the sim and recalling what they wrote !
Many thanks again for your great AC's...it will contribute to the pleasure of retirement!!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”