Spitfire after update is unmanageable

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire after update is unmanageable

Post by Alan_A »

Glad to have found this thread. I just updated this afternoon and my first takeoff was definitely Mr. Toad's wild ride. Same thing others are describing - a slight swing right, a sharp swing left, and I got to see a lot of Montgomery County at ground level. I just assumed that there'd been a new dose of authentic ground behavior, and managed the second takeoff successfully by telling myself I was flying a Mustang. Now I'll have to check out the video and see about applying the right Spitfire techniques. Have to say I was expecting changes in behavior once in flight but didn't notice any - though I admit I was preoccupied with the radiator (it was in the mid-30's C in the Mid-Atlantic today). Would be interested to hear if any of you noticed differences in handling apart from takeoff - and also what mark you were flying. I was in a Mk. II, as usual, so, yes, torque. Are Mk. I's behaving the same way?
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I made the mistake of trying my first post-update takeoff from Milford Sound. All sorts of ugliness ensued. :D I moved to Queenstown, a tad wider, much better. Third takeoff was flawless. I like it! Thanks!

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

So I assume the ground handling characteristics have been totally off all these years? I find that hard to believe. I'm finding no drastic changes in the air but on the ground, Wow! Shades of the Mustang. Horrible. No doubt I will adapt but, sheesh.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

From my own testing I am finding that whereas a couple of updates ago there was very little aileron input needed on take off, with the latest update this plays a much more important part, and once you practice that it DOES get a lot better.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

My first takeoff attempt after the latest A2A Spitfire update was out of Skinny little Darrington (1S2), and it did not end well. The airplane was very squirrely, and didn't want to stay on the runway. After an engine and prop overhaul, my next takeoff attempt was from the relatively wide and long runway at Arlington (KAWO). The airplane wanted to swerve a bit, but the extra runway width and a more gradual application of power got me off with minimal drama. Each successive takeoff went better than the last. Today I tried the method described earlier by killratio: full right aileron and back stick, with both easing towards neutral as throttle is moved forward. This seemed to work. Landings are still, as they say, "a piece of cake." Very nice airplane.

Seeya
ATB

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Hi, Paughco,
I followed the very same suggestions as you did, and - actually -, it did work quite well.
regards,
Fulvio

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Paughco wrote:My first takeoff attempt after the latest A2A Spitfire update was out of Skinny little Darrington (1S2), and it did not end well. The airplane was very squirrely, and didn't want to stay on the runway. After an engine and prop overhaul, my next takeoff attempt was from the relatively wide and long runway at Arlington (KAWO). The airplane wanted to swerve a bit, but the extra runway width and a more gradual application of power got me off with minimal drama. Each successive takeoff went better than the last. Today I tried the method described earlier by killratio: full right aileron and back stick, with both easing towards neutral as throttle is moved forward. This seemed to work. Landings are still, as they say, "a piece of cake." Very nice airplane.

Seeya
ATB
Spot on sir!

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I've got better with practise so good-oh!

Oh and D. There ain't no war on so nothing wrong with a 'Moscow Approach'. A fighter Approach is handy on times but, no sweat. :P

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

bladerunner900 wrote:I've got better with practise so good-oh!

Oh and D. There ain't no war on so nothing wrong with a 'Moscow Approach'. A fighter Approach is handy on times but, no sweat. :P

https://youtu.be/xzYO0joolR0?t=8

Ok, but don't accuse me of p***ing in your chips when your Merlin boils as you taxi in :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Been practicing takeoffs in the Spit, and while I won't say I've totally got it down (thereby calling in that fateful hunter), my takeoffs have gotten way less scary. The people hanging out in my ORBX airports no longer run for cover when they see me taxi by.

Bottom line: A2A aircraft require practice. All of 'em.

Seeya
ATB

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Killratio wrote:Ok, but don't accuse me of p***ing in your chips when your Merlin boils as you taxi in :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
After burbling along at about 1900 RPM with 0 lb boost temp isn't really a problem, but I get your point.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

bladerunner900 wrote:After burbling along at about 1900 RPM with 0 lb boost temp isn't really a problem, but I get your point.
0 Boost, 1900rpm... oh Mate...you're killing me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just out of interest, what ASI does that give you at (what?) cruise height?

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Killratio wrote:Just out of interest, what ASI does that give you at (what?) cruise height?
Cruising? Somewhere between 200 and 240, at 1000 to 3000 ft.

I like flying low and slow. Looking at the scenery while travelling A to B. Seeing as I paid good dosh for the add-on's, I may as well take-it-in. Also, I spot a nice low bridge now and then and, who can resist that.

That's not to say I don't have my wilder moments, of some full throttle(ish), coolant boiling aerobatics. Oh no. Got to get me some of that too. :wink:

A sample shot.
https://i.imgur.com/p4inwy3.jpg

But enough of derailing the thread. :lol:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Affirm,

Beautiful shot!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”