A2A Accu-Sim Bonanza V-Tail 15-Minute Promo

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A Accu-Sim Bonanza V-Tail 15-Minute Promo

Post by pilottj »

Thats an interesting point. You notice you don't see a lot of Bonanza/Barons being used for air taxi/charter/cargo..etc. Whereas you do see a lot of Cherokee Six/Saratoga/Seneca/Aztec along with 185/206/210 and Cessna cabin class twins doing the lion's share of GA related commerce. This may be due to economics of the respective planes, but also the more generous payload/CG ranges you get with Piper and Cessna.

I know a lot of pilots have said that Beech really improved Bonanza's stability with the A36 (wing farther aft, less finicky CG), and thus give the Bonanza more practical uses. Beech intended the A36 to compete with the Saratoga/210s in the air taxi market but had trouble because Piper/Cessna had already beaten them to the punch with their respective reliable and economical workhorses. However the improvements in the A36 made it arguably the and best of Beech's Bonanza line because it really is a culmination of everything Beech learned from producing the Bonanza. Altho the A36/B58 never really made it as air taxis, they did find niche at many airline training academies. Here in Napa, JAL used to have a training center at the airport, and had a full Beech line of A36/B58/King Air. If it handles like a warbird, it will force you to really be on your toes and make for a great trainer.

The Bonanza's warbird handling and ruggedness is probably why it is also popular as a military trainer. Interestingly on the Military training side, Fuji Aircraft currently builds the T-7 for the the JASDF. The T-7 is a basically a refined and improved T-34. At the heart of that T-7 tho is still the basic Bonanza structure. Between the T-7 and the G36, that basic Bonanza airframe is going to be around for a long long time.

That would be pretty dang cool if the JSDF came to A2A sometime after the 'secret project', and contract you guys to do a professional level trainer for their T-7 for P3D or something. The fact that A2A is now recognized by professional flight training organizations is really awesome and speaks volumes for the dedication you guys have put into this hobby. I really hope you guys continue landing big contracts for flight training.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

bullfox wrote:The Comanche has the fit and finish of American cars of the era in which it was built.
Well, IMO yes and no. The Comanche (and Bonanza) clearly represent classic American pride in the workmanship. Both definitely feel and rumble like a classic muscle car and internally, both airplanes are built to an uncompromising quality of high standard (as these were flagships) but Piper made some odd choices in the interior. Too much plastic basically. Beneath the plastic, is high quality where it counts. Beech seemed to understand that the impression of good quality matters.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Scott - A2A wrote:
bullfox wrote:The Comanche has the fit and finish of American cars of the era in which it was built.
Well, IMO yes and no. The Comanche (and Bonanza) clearly represent classic American pride in the workmanship. Both definitely feel and rumble like a classic muscle car and internally, both airplanes are built to an uncompromising quality of high standard (as these were flagships) but Piper made some odd choices in the interior. Too much plastic basically. Beneath the plastic, is high quality where it counts. Beech seemed to understand that the impression of good quality matters.

Scott.
I know this is very subjective because we all have our experiences, but as of today, I would rank the big 3 as they currently are.

Beech
Cessna
Piper

The older generation of B/C/P I think would be the same general order but would be closer together in quality, with B at the top but C and P more or less tied because C and P had slightly different markets.

To me the older generation of Cessnas and Pipers always had a very no frills workhorse feel to me. Not particularly glamorous, but did what they were designed for with reasonable economy and reliability. I don't know what it is about the New Piper, but I never felt comfortable in them. The New Cessnas are still pretty good. I would love to see Cessna bring back the 210...with more reliable landing gear lol.

Even the old 70s Pipers were kind of cheap looking but they were good for the money. You got an honest product for the money. The new generation seemed like Piper was trying too hard to keep up, sometimes cutting or bending too many corners to save cost. Perhaps it is because aviation is such an expensive endeavor especially in this lawsuit happy time we live in. GA companies certainly don't build their airplanes to get rich and profit margins must be quite small. But the build quality difference is even more noticeable now I think. I felt more comfortable in a 70s Duchess than I did in a 00s Seminole. In fact, I still have all of my old POHs, the Duchess POH came in a small binder, saw a lot of use, and was shuffled around alot in various moves, and apart from a few dings, is still fully intact and useable. I only had the Seminole POH book a month or two before the book binding started weakening and pages started falling out. It just felt like Beech was more focused on doing the little things right. Those little things add up.

Of course the tradeoff is cost, tho in the long run it seems it would even out. Replacing cheaper parts more frequently vs replacing quality parts less frequently, which is better? That could be something kind of cool to eventually incorporate into Accusim, a basic cost calculator of some sorts, that would give us the added virtual 'Russian Roulette' fun of budgetary vs safety considerations when replacing parts.

Anyway, its good stuff. Gauges wearing out is an amazing feat you guys accomplished. It is those little things that we have to be wary of as pilots that will some day be the big difference in an emergency, so having a virtual experience likes this is really going to help keep those little instincts sharp.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Scott - A2A wrote:My biggest gripe with the Bonanza v-tail is not realistically being able to put anyone in the back seat. It really is no place for anyone but the most motion sickness resistant folks with the oscillations. By contrast, the back seat in the Comanche is a place most people are some comfortable, they fall asleep. The Comanche also has a wider cabin, which again in the real world, is a major plus.

-snip-

Scott.
Definitely seeing this in practice, Scott. With Active Sky I'm getting pretty consistent bumps from CAT and just watching the nose oscillate left and right almost continuously... I'd probably be getting queasy even in the pilot seat; never mind the poor suckers getting sloshed around in the back!! And for reference, I am one to happily sleep upside down, below deck, on a heeling sailboat under cruise. I hope I remembered to pack sick bags...

tomer_inbar
Airman Basic

Post by tomer_inbar »

This is absolutely insane!
Who can thought about the air vent that changes sound while rotating..
And the gauges getting old and not accurate? Fantastic!
Amazing job guys!

When I saw this video I get exited if the B377 Stratocruiser will release to V4.3 with some features of the most recently A2A technology! :D

richstacy
Senior Airman

Post by richstacy »

So, when will it be released? I can hardly wait. I flew and soloed my Dad's bonanza in 1961. I have several A2A aircraft and along with Real Air they are my favorites!

richstacy
Senior Airman

Post by richstacy »

EnDSchultz wrote:
Scott - A2A wrote:My biggest gripe with the Bonanza v-tail is not realistically being able to put anyone in the back seat. It really is no place for anyone but the most motion sickness resistant folks with the oscillations. By contrast, the back seat in the Comanche is a place most people are some comfortable, they fall asleep. The Comanche also has a wider cabin, which again in the real world, is a major plus.

-snip-

Scott.
Definitely seeing this in practice, Scott. With Active Sky I'm getting pretty consistent bumps from CAT and just watching the nose oscillate left and right almost continuously... I'd probably be getting queasy even in the pilot seat; never mind the poor suckers getting sloshed around in the back!! And for reference, I am one to happily sleep upside down, below deck, on a heeling sailboat under cruise. I hope I remembered to pack sick bags...

I had hundreds of hours as a passenger in a V-Tail Bonanza and about 50 in the left seat. I never noticed the problem. I rough air sometimes you'd have to hold light pressure on the left rudder to lessen the yaw. It was no big deal. :)

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”