External sound quieter than internal sound

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
LecLightning57
Airman Basic

External sound quieter than internal sound

Post by LecLightning57 »

Just like to say that I am having great fun with the A2A Boeing 377, having purchased back in 2013 but never really got into it much. Never mind the amazing (but let's face it lazy) automation of the modern Airbus and Boeing!

I am not sure if this is as intended, but the cockpit sound is very much louder (and more appreciable) than the external sound. Great in the former, but slightly disappointing in the latter (yes, I do have all the sound files installed in the appropriate folder).

Please advise if there are ways of improving this situation to enhance the external sounds (my 377 merely hums quietly but does not growl).

LecLightning57
Airman Basic

Re: External sound quieter than internal sound

Post by LecLightning57 »

I have found this topic https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 37&t=40948 and applied the advice given with some success with external sounds much more realistic and powerful.

Also, should the engine sounds slider in FSX be raised to beyond the default 50%?

If anyone has anything further to add then please share your suggestions etc. here.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

LecLightning57, thanks for posting that link. I knew I'd found and fixed the external engine sound problem some years ago but I don't currently have access to the files with the information that I used at the time. I was afraid I was going to have to re-invent the wheel when I got around to flying the Stratocruiser again.

I believe the "full_scale_distance=100" number comes from the A2A Piper J3 Cub, and I remember it working for the 377. Later I bought the Cessna 172 and Cherokee 180 and they use different numbers in their sound files, from 100 to 500, so you might want to raise the 100 number if the external engine sounds aren't loud enough. Experiment to see what value works best.

As far as I know, this is a complete fix. I do not remember if the bounding box fix I posted is necessary to improve the external engine sounds. You should not need to change the FSX volume.

I recently re-installed my flight sim after an absence of a couple of years, and I haven't flown the 377 since then, so I don't know if any A2A updates have fixed this problem. I did check the sound.cfg file and it does not have the full_scale_distance parameters and I believe it should. I have applied the latest Accusim update posted on this site (09_16_2018).

You mentioned "some success" in your post. What would it have needed to be a complete success? And did you apply the bounding box fix as well?

Hook

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

One thing you guys might want to try, is simply hitting the "Q" key while in exterior view.

Sometimes the exterior sound of the aircraft gets muted during a flight. I don't think it's specifically a 377 issue as I've seen the same issue on other aircraft.
Anytime I've had that happen, cycling the default sound on & off using the "Q" key, brings the sound back to full throated.
FAC257

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

FAC257 wrote:One thing you guys might want to try, is simply hitting the "Q" key while in exterior view.

Sometimes the exterior sound of the aircraft gets muted during a flight. I don't think it's specifically a 377 issue as I've seen the same issue on other aircraft.
Anytime I've had that happen, cycling the default sound on & off using the "Q" key, brings the sound back to full throated.
Have you tested this yourself on the A2A 377 recently?

I remember the same advice being given back in 2014. If it had worked I wouldn't have spent a dozen or two hours researching the problem, then designing, implementing and testing a solution which did work. I don't recall the Q key working for anyone.

I can't "properly" test it now because I don't have FSX installed, only Prepar3D.

Please report your results.

Hook

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Hi Hook,

The sound issue I'm referring to on my end wasn't very interesting and the fix was something I ran into pretty quick and didn't really think about it much after that.

When it happened, it was a sudden change in the exterior rumble of the 377 to a wimpy almost default aircraft sound. Cycling the Q key fixed it 100% of the time. I still see the sound "disconnect" issue on some aircraft (non-377) even now on my current install of P3D and still use the same Q key cycle to kick it back into gear.

Can't say how she is now but as of the last time I flew the 377 she was logged at about 2400hrs/500 flights. and the exterior wimpy sound happened at least once on a great many of those flights.

If what you are doing is completely changing the way the exterior sounds, that's interesting and would be something I might like to try once the current version of the sim and the 377 are compatible again.

Thanks!
FAC
FAC257

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Thanks FAC257. The Q key toggle information should be useful in any case and I should have mentioned that in my last post. I will certainly give it a try when I fly the 377 and before implementing my published fix. I won't complain if it makes the fix unnecessary, but the exterior engine sounds simply weren't loud enough unless you got very close to the aircraft.

Interior sounds were fine, and while the fix modifies them as well, it does not affect the actual cockpit sounds as you are always closer than the full_scale_distance. Other exterior sounds could be further tweaked but a full description is beyond the scope of an easy fix. For example, the combustion sound (rpm etc) should probably be heard farther away than the prop sound.

Hook

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Hook,

What the aircraft sounds like from the outside is something that is looked at very carefully and taken very seriously. If we get to that point in looking at the 377, I'll make sure that the guys take a look at your thoughts. It's really appreciated.

The exterior engine start-up/prop sounds was one of my favorite things about our He-219. It was quite unique and not a sound I think I've heard on any other sim aircraft.

Thanks! :)
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”