Low Resolution Cockpit Textures

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
David_MC
Airman

Low Resolution Cockpit Textures

Post by David_MC »

I have just purchased the Bonanza for FSX Steam Edition, installed it a noticed that the cockpit textures are really low. I checked to make sure the High Resolution 3D cockpit setting was checked (it was). I uninstalled and then reinstalled and the issue persists. I am running FSX SE in DX9 mode. I checked my other A2A aircraft (Cub, Skyhawk, Skyland, Texan, Comanche) and they do not have this issue.
I have attached a screenshot showing the issue.

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Re: Low Resolution Cockpit Textures

Post by wothan »

David_MC wrote:I have just purchased the Bonanza for FSX Steam Edition, installed it a noticed that the cockpit textures are really low. I checked to make sure the High Resolution 3D cockpit setting was checked (it was). I uninstalled and then reinstalled and the issue persists. I am running FSX SE in DX9 mode. I checked my other A2A aircraft (Cub, Skyhawk, Skyland, Texan, Comanche) and they do not have this issue.
Same with P3D V4.
I had to select 2048x2048 to get non blurry cockpit textures, which isn't necessary with other ( including other A2A) aircraft addons.

FinnJ
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

kielsf4
Airman First Class

Post by kielsf4 »

Unfortunately all Bonnie textures have mipmaps which causes the textures to become blurry on some systems. Other than manually removing all mipmaps from all texture files (took me about 10 minutes) there is nothing you can do at the moment...

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

kielsf4 wrote:Unfortunately all Bonnie textures have mipmaps which causes the textures to become blurry on some systems. Other than manually removing all mipmaps from all texture files (took me about 10 minutes) there is nothing you can do at the moment...
Hi guys,

kielsF4 is correct. The A2A Bonanza's cockpit textures were created in 4096x4096 resolution for maximum fidelity, and mipmaps are added to help reduce the "shimmer" effect. For best results, you'll want to keep the global texture resolution setting in FSX maxed out.

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

David_MC wrote:I have just purchased the Bonanza for FSX Steam Edition, installed it a noticed that the cockpit textures are really low. I checked to make sure the High Resolution 3D cockpit setting was checked (it was). I uninstalled and then reinstalled and the issue persists. I am running FSX SE in DX9 mode. I checked my other A2A aircraft (Cub, Skyhawk, Skyland, Texan, Comanche) and they do not have this issue.
I'm having the same problems in P3D. The gauges are practically unreadable. Will try it with global textures raised and see what results I get.
Can't help but feel disappointed with the visuals so far though.

Mick
ImageImageImageImage

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Same here. I would be nice to have a non-mipped texture set.
Ros

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Mick,

Try increasing the global texture resolution to "Ultra - 4096x4096" as recommended in the manual. That should make everything rather crisp, whilst the mip-mapped textures should prevent "shimmering" as molleh mentioned.

Thanks,
Nick

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

I have tried setting the global textures to 4096 but they seem to reset to 2048.
Do I need to change something else to get this setting to stick?

Mick
ImageImageImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Mick,

Do you have an A2A add-on saved as part of your default scenario? If so, I believe this could be the culprit. Please see this thread for more info: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=124883.

Thanks,
Nick

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Mick,

Do you have an A2A add-on saved as part of your default scenario? If so, I believe this could be the culprit. Please see this thread for more info: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=124883.

Thanks,
Nick
I do indeed Nick. I will rectify that and see how I get on
Thanks

Mick
ImageImageImageImage

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

Moving the global texture slider helped on my end without too much of an FPS hit on my lower-end system.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

woody901 wrote:I do indeed Nick. I will rectify that and see how I get on
Thanks

Mick
Okay, thanks Mick. Let us know how you go, but hopefully you'll find the combination of 4K textures and mip-mapping in the virtual cockpit works pretty well.

Thanks,
Nick

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

Thanks Nick, that worked. Much better. I will now try a flight and see if the higher resolution impacts on anything else.
Thanks for the help.

Mick
ImageImageImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

woody901 wrote:Thanks Nick, that worked. Much better. I will now try a flight and see if the higher resolution impacts on anything else.
Thanks for the help.
You're welcome Mick - thanks for the update.
David_MC wrote:Moving the global texture slider helped on my end without too much of an FPS hit on my lower-end system.
Thanks for the update too David.

Nick

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

I'm not finding my resolution crisp either - please see photo attached along with photo of my settings. Not sure if I'm missing something.

Can't seem to post links as photos within this forum, so also adding the links below...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyd60ta2ki78u7i/Res.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/itijy56c2bd2dri/Res1.jpg?dl=0

Thanks,
Mike

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”