The secret airplane in development

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
rhenson529
Senior Airman

Re: The secret airplane in development

Post by rhenson529 »

Humm... The Cirrus Vision Jet has a stall speed of 67 knots and it too also has a v-tail. Scott did mention they developed a new accu-sim engine and he's talked about jets for the last 8 years. He also mentions they had extensive performance characteristics and comparisons of the v-tail. Just something to ponder. :)
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

It might be possible that the "engine" he is talking about is not a propulsion related engine but a "software engine"/set of tools/process that they use in house to accusim an aircraft

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I really doubt it is a U-2... I was forward deployed where they had some (along with other interesting birds), and nobody can even go near them. I was working on HH-60H's and in the desert at the time, and the Air Force would put us on a bus and drive us out to our aircraft. We were not allowed to leave where our aircraft were, and I never even got within an arms length of any of their birds due to security. I really doubt they would take up a civilian in one as the Squadron Commander or TYCOM/Wing would have to justify a need to take that risk. I can't even get my own family members/friends rides in H-60's for that very reason, and those aren't even the tiniest bit classified or dangerous. So if Scott managed to swing that then he really knows some people. :lol: I would love just to stand inside the cockpit of a C-17 and maybe sit in the pilot seat, and even as a card carrying certified Air Force load planner I was told nope.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

U2 pilots do not use oxygen masks. They are in full pressure suits ala the astronauts. So you can eliminate that as a 'candidate'.

Paul

colokent
Airman

Post by colokent »

Okay, I do not think it is a U-2 for a number of reasons:
- Detailed flight info likely very difficult (if not impossible) to get
- The two-seat variant (U-2CT for the old -C model, or the U-2ST for the new model) is not the "standard" variant...the single seater is.
- Limited appeal (not to me...I LOVE the U-2, but I do not think the sales would be there for A2A)

It **could** be the T-33 in a very limited flight regime-- according to the manual, T-33A at 10,000 lbs gross weight with gear and flaps down will stall at 85 kts in level flight...I HOPE it is a T-33A, but I'm having a hard time believing it. If it is, please give use the option to fit a travel pod from the maintenance hangar!
- Also, according to the time to climb chart, with a starting gross weight of 12,200 lbs, 4 minutes puts you at right around 18,000 feet, using the 0.5 mach climb number recommended in the pilots handbook. Just saying...

Kent

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

colokent wrote:Okay, I do not think it is a U-2 for a number of reasons:
- Detailed flight info likely very difficult (if not impossible) to get
- The two-seat variant (U-2CT for the old -C model, or the U-2ST for the new model) is not the "standard" variant...the single seater is.
- Limited appeal (not to me...I LOVE the U-2, but I do not think the sales would be there for A2A)
Well, if James May flew in one.... :mrgreen:

Nah, that was simply joking with idea of having jets doing 90 kts, and what could that be. :)

-Esa

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Fouga Magister is a mass produced V-tail trainer jet with a 87kts stall speed. Just saying :mrgreen:
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Yes, but seriously, who wants a Fouga Magister? With all due respect.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

clarkejw wrote:Yes, but seriously, who wants a Fouga Magister? With all due respect.
Or T-33 for that matter? Or any other of those tin cans from museum. ;)

Hmmm.

-Esa

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

rhenson529 wrote:Humm... The Cirrus Vision Jet has a stall speed of 67 knots and it too also has a v-tail. Scott did mention they developed a new accu-sim engine and he's talked about jets for the last 8 years. He also mentions they had extensive performance characteristics and comparisons of the v-tail. Just something to ponder. :)
Yesss..... Good guess, but would a Vision have oxygen mask sounds?
Last edited by caleb1 on 10 Apr 2018, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

BrettT wrote:It might be possible that the "engine" he is talking about is not a propulsion related engine but a "software engine"/set of tools/process that they use in house to accusim an aircraft
This is what I was kinda thinking too.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

clarkejw wrote:Yes, but seriously, who wants a Fouga Magister? With all due respect.

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

Also, reading Wikipedia:

"After its retirement by the French Air Force, Magisters were purchased by several private-owner pilots in the US"

*heavy breathing*

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I'm still wondering how, in this discussion, a stall speed close to 90 kts became an issue? I don't recall anything in the video mentioning a stall speed! Was this mentioned by A2A in another post somewhere or is this a simple case of speculation running away from the facts?

My own speculation...we're getting an O2 system for light aircraft!

Regardless, it is great fun trying to suss out what exactly is going on in that blacked out portion of the video...so much drama in such a small amount of time! :D

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Jacques wrote:I'm still wondering how, in this discussion, a stall speed close to 90 kts became an issue? I don't recall anything in the video mentioning a stall speed! Was this mentioned by A2A in another post somewhere or is this a simple case of speculation running away from the facts?

My own speculation...we're getting an O2 system for light aircraft!

Regardless, it is great fun trying to suss out what exactly is going on in that blacked out portion of the video...so much drama in such a small amount of time! :D
Scott (?) says that he trims for 90 knots at 18000 feet. You cannot do that if your plane stalls above 90kts, like many jets do. We are looking for a jet with a stall speed below 90kts so trimmed slowflight would make any real sense.

Maybe we are just getting an turbocharged engine (hopefully with the V-tail) with oxygen system or something, yes... only time will tell.

But the secrecy would hint something more special than just an oxygen system or a2a GA-turbocharger.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”