The airline known as Janet.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paul K
Technical Sergeant

The airline known as Janet.

Post by Paul K »

I first read about it a good while ago, but this is from today's London Daily Telegraph. It concerns the confidential passenger flights from Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport to secret locations such as Area 51. I believe all they do is carry employees and visitors ( non-alien ones, of course ;) )

Link

All perfectly straightforward no doubt, though I expect it will add another string to the conspiracy theorist's bow. :roll: :)

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Re: The airline known as Janet.

Post by Les Parson »

The aircraft consist mostly of B737-600, B1900 and B200 and operate fairly regularly between:
KLAS
A51 (aka Groom, KXTA, AFFTC and a few others)
TPH (Tonopah Test Range)
KPMD

Aircraft are registered to U.S. DOD / USAF

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Can't be that secret... there have been flight sim liveries for the 737 for ages! :wink:
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Mickel wrote:Can't be that secret... there have been flight sim liveries for the 737 for ages! :wink:
lol my thoughts too I think several devs created adventures and missions too for the sim. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

Much as been declassified over the years since the base was first developed back in 1955. As a matter of fact, CIA is proud of the rich history that includes the A12 (OXCART), SR71, U2 and many others. The last I heard, control of the facility transferred from CIA to USAF back in the late 1970's. Current work is thought to be that of UAS/UAV (better known to civilians as drones) flight testing.

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/

PS: Correction to my earlier post: Tonopah Test Range should read: TTR.
TPH is the civilian airport.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I think the Tonopah Test Range is TNX.

Paul

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

Gypsy Baron wrote:I think the Tonopah Test Range is TNX.

Paul
Yeah, that's right - TNX - a "gray" facility.

lowflyr
Airman

Post by lowflyr »

As was stated, there is a lot of information out there regarding the Janet flights, and Area 51 in general.

It is still interesting to watch on flightaware and see them disappear from radar at 14,000 ft/300kts, then reappear a while later coming the other way. Pretty easy to find if you filter B737-600s, as there are so few flying domestically (I think the ones they fly are all old Air China frames).

The site posted by Les Parson contains enough information that you can add the fixes and fly a very similar flight to the actual thin in FSX/P3D. There is even a janet livery for the PMDG -600.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”