ORBX Christmas Sale - 45% off

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

ORBX Christmas Sale - 45% off

Post by Paughco »

ORBX has all their products on sale at 45% off until 1st of January 2018 at 23:00:00 UTC. I just flew my T-6 out of Sonoma County Regional Airport (KSTS). Few around Mt. Helena, did a few loops, then got a straight in clearance to RWY 32. Very nice. I also have downloaded Bozeman (KBZM), Bonner's Ferry (65S), and Longview Ranch (OG39). I got KBZM and KSTS for my MJ C-47 and the Connie.

Every year I ride my motorcycle from my secret HQ in the Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth, to the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day, Oregon. The roads between Wasco, Condon, Fossil, Spray, and John Day are some of the finest motorcycling roads anywhere. ISYN. For years I've ridden up the John Day Highway (Hwy 19) and seen this little airport over on the west side of the Valley. Now I can fly there in the Comanche! Or the T-6!

Where's my A2A Cessna 185?

Seeya
ATB

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Re: ORBX Christmas Sale - 45% off

Post by Gabe777 »

600 dollars.

Lol. Melting plastic smell.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Ouch!

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Gabe777 wrote:600 dollars.

:shock: With the sale? Goodness but did you buy the whole catalog?

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

ClipperLuna wrote: :shock: With the sale? Goodness but did you buy the whole catalog?
$600 is what you might call a "reasonable start"... :P
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

Gabe777 wrote:600 dollars.

AUD ?

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I have Global Base & Global Vector. Seriously thinking of OpenLC NA but would like to get opinions from those that have it. Is it a "well worth it" purchase? I will be getting some area specific at some point as well like PNW sense I live on the southern Oregon coast. But OpenLC looks like a broader purchase at this point. I just spent money on some Wilson Combat additions for my Colt Delta Gold Cup and possibly should not go to crazy on sim shopping :lol:

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I would definitely check out OpenLC NA. It's a huge upgrade for the entirety of North America, and with Global Vector, some areas look as good as their full region products.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I've got FTX Global Base Pack, Vector, FTX Global, openLC North America, and quite a few of the add-on airports, mostly in the western US. I recently purchased and downloaded several new airports during the December 2017 sale, including Sonoma Regional, KSTS. The directions recommended turning resolution up all the way. OK, I thought, what could possibly go wrong? I flew around the area in the T-6. Well, maybe my eyeballs might pop out, due to the fabulous scenery!

One of the cool things about Global Base is that you can get many, many free airports https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftx-global-na-pack. There's a way to see 'em on Google Earth. Or you can download Little Nav Map, use the little buttons to select only the add-on airports, and you will see how many you get.

ORBX is pretty cool. Gotta go download the latest freeware airport update - just saw that it's available on FTX Central.

Seeya
ATB

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

WB_FlashOver wrote:I have Global Base & Global Vector. Seriously thinking of OpenLC NA but would like to get opinions from those that have it. Is it a "well worth it" purchase?
OpenLC NA is definitely worth adding to your Global Base and Vector combination, if for no reason other than it will make for smoother transitions when you fly out of the PNW into Global Base/Vector territory. But OpenLC NA brings all of North America to an "FTX Lite" standard, kind of like what A2A's AccuFeel does for your non-AccuSim fleet, so you may be completely happy with just OpenLC instead of getting ORBX's Central and Northern Rocky Mountains or Alaska regions.

I've used numerous FSX terrain products, combinations and systems of products over the last 10 years and I really think the ORBX system is the best we've ever had. I've had various landclass products installed with Ground Environment Pro and Ultimate Terrain X; I've had PNW, CRM and NRM installed over GEX and UTX in the early days; I had the early version of OpenLC NA when it only covered Canada and I could see an obvious difference between the area it affected (when used with Base and Vector) and the remainder of North America it did not.

In my opinion if you already have Base and Vector installed, OpenLC is a must-have.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Thanks for the info fellas. I don't spend a lot of time in my local area. I do more global touring so this sounds like the way to go.

Much appreciated
Roger

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

You can't go wrong with any of the Orbx OpenLC areas. They transform that area into something much more realistic. I often fly over Europe. The area around Mt Vesuvius looks just like the pics with OpenLC Europe installed, and the Open LC for North America looks consistent with what I've seen from driving round 6 states in the US.

Now that there is no release soon, from A2A, I may just be able to afford Open LC for South America too.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

MX-Leader
Airman First Class

Post by MX-Leader »

Since you live in Oregon... I would get FTX regions of PNW and Northern California first. That will keep you busy until next year. It really is a step up from even Vector, Global, and Landclass. My 2 cents.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

MX-Leader wrote:Since you live in Oregon... I would get FTX regions of PNW and Northern California first. That will keep you busy until next year. It really is a step up from even Vector, Global, and Landclass. My 2 cents.
That's how I started on the long ride down the scenery rabbit hole. I bought the PNW set in the packaged DVD version (didn't have the Internet speed to download full-on programs back then). It was great. I bought a few of the airports in my area, such as Darrington, Firstair in Monroe, etc.

Dial it up to the present day and I have global, vector, and all the Western USA land groups from Alaska to Southern California, Rockies, etc. Now I just keep adding airports. May get a couple for Oregon before the sale goes away.

Need to let some time elapse between these kind of purchases and the upcoming CMP sales of retired 1911s, as I hope to acquire one of those.

Seeya
ATB

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I just purchased the OpenLC NA and Europe. I spend very little time flying locally. I have been in the Connie now sense it's release a year ago. I picked her up at Burbank, CA, flew to North Bend, OR, then headed out on my global flight. I came back through the states briefly landing in each state on my way north and then west. I'm now passing Kathmandu heading west to Lucknow, India. Point is that I am really looking for something more global at this point.

After installing OLC NA & EU I reactivated FreeMesh to see how it all works. I'm still on the fence for a mesh product. It seems to always mess up my airport elevations putting them in deep holes or on high plateaus. Any suggestions in this area are welcome too. I'm headed for the OpenLC Europe areas now to see if I can tell much difference. 8)

Thanks for all the input on this.

Cheers
Roger

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”