Connie Won't Start

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
omnijet
Airman First Class

Connie Won't Start

Post by omnijet »

For reasons I cannot figure out, the Connie won't start. It sputters, then stops, no matter which method I use for starting... Auto Start, manually from the FE station, etc. I have had the ship for a while and had no problems so far. :?

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Connie Won't Start

Post by Tomas Linnet »

go check that Automixture is still unticked. For some reason this can change once in a while.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

omnijet
Airman First Class

Post by omnijet »

Auto mixture is unchecked. Full of fuel, mags and ignition on. I can be running another aircraft with engines running, switch to the Connie and it stops running after a few seconds.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

To start the Connie you MUST have the mixture levers in CUT-OFF. If you turn on the fuel pumps without having the mixtures in cut-off you will flood the engine! The MH will show this.

So, mags off, mixture cut-off, fuel pump on, throttle to ~ 10%, engage the inertia starter, prime as the starter winds up, after 16-20 seconds mags to both, engage the starter 'mesh'.

When the engine comes alive then, and only then, put the mixture to rich.

Paul

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

My first thought was the Auto Mixture as well but you've verified that is unchecked. Is your sim FSX or P3D? Either way make sure you have the latest update.

What is showing in the maintenance hanger?

If you open the Payload Manager (or look at the FE station) and check the oil quantity, are your engines full of oil?

Are the props feathered?

Make sure the fuel cutoff levers are staying in the open position. Make sure ALL engine levers are staying where they belong. I've seen where a default variable mixture axis, when assigned to a 3 position mixture lever, will cause problems. Or in the Connie having a controller axis assigned to the Prop control can cause problems. I have buttons assigned for Prop in Connie and rotary axis controls in other planes such as the P-51 and B-17.

These are the obvious of coarse. Another option would be to start with a new .dat file and see if your current one is corrupt. With simulator NOT running go to < ~:\Users\%username%\Documents\A2A\FSX\L049 > and move the < L049log.dat > file to your desktop. Now start sim and see if problem persists. If it does then your .dat file is not corrupt. NOTE you will loose your aquired flight data doing this. If the problem persists then move the L049log.dat file back to retain your data.

I see Paul has posted while I'm typing this so try his suggestions too.

Good luck
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

omnijet
Airman First Class

Post by omnijet »

Well, guys... here it is. I took the advice of checking the maintenance hanger. For some reason, all 4 engines required complete overhaul. :?: :shock: Completed o'hauls and now running fine. 4 turning and none burning, as they say. :D

Thanks for the time and input. You guys are the greatest!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Very good. Glad you got it sorted. The Connie is too nice of a bird to have her grounded. :lol: 8) :lol:

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”