Are we allowed to discuss buying/trading sim equipment?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
RichardFS
Airman First Class

Are we allowed to discuss buying/trading sim equipment?

Post by RichardFS »

I didn't see any rules saying we can't discuss trading or purchasing from other forum users, but I'm assuming at the very east it's discouraged. However, if it's not, I have three Saitek PS/2 connection throttle quadrants that I want to trade for USB quadrants. I am desperate to trade because I cannot afford to buy whole new quadrants, and none of my ebay messages or posts in other forums have resulted in anything. If interested please email me at [email protected] and put 'SIMULATOR' in the subject line. Anyways, if this is not allowed on here, I apologize and will not complain if this gets removed.
Thanks very much.

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Re: Are we allowed to discuss buying/trading sim equipment?

Post by Levkovvvv »

You know, PS/2 to usb adapters exist, did you try with those? :D
Image Владимир Левков / Vladimir Levkov
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

as far as I know they won't work if not plugged in to a yoke, but I'm not 100% sure on this
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

RichardFS
Airman First Class

Post by RichardFS »

Levkovvvv wrote:You know, PS/2 to usb adapters exist, did you try with those? :D
I thought of that and did some research, and they won't work. The Quadrants with PS/2 connectors are mapped specifically to the yoke, and cannot be altered by rewiring or plugging in adapters, as its built into the software. Only the quadrants that are sold as stand-alone with the stock USB connectors will work. I believe the did this just to make more money, as it's completely pointless otherwise.

RichardFS
Airman First Class

Post by RichardFS »

Tomas Linnet wrote:as far as I know they won't work if not plugged in to a yoke, but I'm not 100% sure on this
USB adapters will not work with the yoke, no.

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

I think you will struggle to get rid of them as they will only work when plugged into the saitek yoke and you can only plug one ps2 throttle into it. How did you know be up with 3 of them? I only have one ps2 and that is one too many and I have the yoke they plug into!
Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

RichardFS
Airman First Class

Post by RichardFS »

Tutmeister wrote:I think you will struggle to get rid of them as they will only work when plugged into the saitek yoke and you can only plug one ps2 throttle into it. How did you know be up with 3 of them? I only have one ps2 and that is one too many and I have the yoke they plug into!
Chris
I bought them online from someone. This was before I knew they wouldn't work together. After I did some research I found out they had to be USB, but the wouldn't offer a refund. So I'm stuck with four fully functioning quadrants of which only one will work at a time.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Buy a Leo Bodnar board, remove the circuit board from the quadrant. That should get it to run, with buttons and all. Each board can handle 8 axis and 32 buttons. Check Google for more info on th Leo Bodnars
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Tomas Linnet wrote:Buy a Leo Bodnar board, remove the circuit board from the quadrant. That should get it to run, with buttons and all. Each board can handle 8 axis and 32 buttons. Check Google for more info on th Leo Bodnars
Use Bodnar stuff right throughout the Spitfire. Great gear!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

RichardFS
Airman First Class

Post by RichardFS »

Tomas Linnet wrote:Buy a Leo Bodnar board, remove the circuit board from the quadrant. That should get it to run, with buttons and all. Each board can handle 8 axis and 32 buttons. Check Google for more info on th Leo Bodnars
I really don't want to get that involved in it, but I'll consider it if I have to.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

If you plan to use all three quadrants you will only need one Bodner board. If you need help let me know I have a one of these quadrants and will give a go at wringing out the wiring for you and make you a wiring diagram.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... db0766dcf6

RichardFS
Airman First Class

Post by RichardFS »

dvm wrote:If you plan to use all three quadrants you will only need one Bodner board. If you need help let me know I have a one of these quadrants and will give a go at wringing out the wiring for you and make you a wiring diagram.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... db0766dcf6
How difficult/time consuming would you say it is? I have zero experience in soldering or wiring or anything related to it; my expertise lies more in software.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I took a second look inside one of the throttles and it would be an involved project. The throttle axis would be strait forward but the switches would be more involved. Basically what you would have to do is to ditch the circuit board. The hardest part of making a throttle quadrant is the mechanics which is done here. The existing wires for the throttles will be usable but you will have to add wires from each switch I am afraid. You will have to do this for each throttle quadrant (x 3) and then gang them altogether and wire them to the Bodner controller. If you want the challenge it can be done. I have some experience messing with hardware so it would be easier for me than the inexperienced. I planned to make my own throttle quadrant for quite some time and then finally came up with a plan that I am happy with. The look is not exactly what I had in mind but the operation is quite good. Good luck.

RichardFS
Airman First Class

Post by RichardFS »

dvm wrote:Sorry it took me so long to answer. I took a second look inside one of the throttles and it would be an involved project. The throttle axis would be strait forward but the switches would be more involved. Basically what you would have to do is to ditch the circuit board. The hardest part of making a throttle quadrant is the mechanics which is done here. The existing wires for the throttles will be usable but you will have to add wires from each switch I am afraid. You will have to do this for each throttle quadrant (x 3) and then gang them altogether and wire them to the Bodner controller. If you want the challenge it can be done. I have some experience messing with hardware so it would be easier for me than the inexperienced. I planned to make my own throttle quadrant for quite some time and then finally came up with a plan that I am happy with. The look is not exactly what I had in mind but the operation is quite good. Good luck.
I couldn't care less about the switches, I don't use them anyway. I think I'd rather just dish out the money for some that are already compatible. Thanks very much for your insight though.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”