Chances of Release Before Christmas?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Chances of Release Before Christmas?

Post by AviationAtWar »

AKar wrote:Getting exited when words 'lineup' and 'next year' are mentioned. It's been quiet for a while on the GA front. When that Bonanza is out of the way ( :mrgreen: ), I hope to finally see some new hints of the twin.

-Esa
Lewis posted this reply on Facebook a little over a week ago (my emphasis):
... we of course have a few all new aircraft on the cards at various stages also.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AviationAtWar wrote:
AKar wrote:Getting exited when words 'lineup' and 'next year' are mentioned. It's been quiet for a while on the GA front. When that Bonanza is out of the way ( :mrgreen: ), I hope to finally see some new hints of the twin.

-Esa
Lewis posted this reply on Facebook a little over a week ago (my emphasis):
... we of course have a few all new aircraft on the cards at various stages also.
Sounds like this might me be an expensive 2018 :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I hope so!

Eric.
Staff Sergeant

Post by Eric. »

Since almost all of my flying revolves around using FSEconomy, I've been hopeful that A2A would soon release something that can be a little more profitable in that environment. Maybe something with six or more seats and the capability to realistically haul some small cargoes as well. A Beaver would be a great start and a unique addition to the A2A fleet. There's no doubt I will buy whatever the next release is, but my fleet of four seat, single engine GA planes is really large enough already, so I hope it is a different category.

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

I second that about a workhorse for FSE! The Beaver or the Otter from A2A would be just stellar. (I know there are couple of Beavers and Otters out there, but I hardly can fly anything after trying A2A.)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Not related to the next release, but regarding workhorses, I find Cessna's announcement of the Model 408 rather exciting. Backed up by an order of 50 units by FedEx, it should stir some the competition on the twin utility aircraft segment. It will be interesting to note how it compares against other players: its cabin seems to be its strong point, whereas it apparently loses in STOL characteristics to Twin Otter, and somewhat in speed (at least) to Dornier 228.

-Esa

batt
Senior Airman

Post by batt »

ilya1502 wrote:I second that about a workhorse for FSE! The Beaver or the Otter from A2A would be just stellar. (I know there are couple of Beavers and Otters out there, but I hardly can fly anything after trying A2A.)
I'll third that for "workhorse GA's". Planes I worked around in Alaska 90's to early aughts: Beavers, Otters (both turbine and radial), Cessna 206/207's, Caravans, Casas, Navajos (seems like I was always riding Piper Navajos out to the villages); any of those would be great.
Image Image Image
ImageImage

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Yup... Bush is the way to go.... getting PNW and Alaska soon - not to mention Norway.

I need skis and floats ! And, plenty of Beta Range..... :wink:
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

AKar wrote:(...) I find Cessna's announcement of the Model 408 rather exciting.
Interesting choice of word Esa, because there seems to be a conscious design philosophy with this one to keep it as unexciting as possible. :) Well, maybe not unexciting but conservative anyway. Traditional aluminium construction, tried 'n' tested PT6A powerplants, fixed landing gear, etc. etc. Makes me think most of all of a sexier Short SC.7, so I reckon Cessna should have gone with "SkyShed" as its official moniker. :mrgreen: As you say, looks like it'll shake up the competition a bit, and it seems to have the potential to become the ultimate flying Ford Transit.

Also, browsing the Cessna/Textron website I was interested to see the Cessna Denali. This one had completely passed me by. Now that design really does look familiar.

Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Nick M wrote:Interesting choice of word Esa, because there seems to be a conscious design philosophy with this one to keep it as unexciting as possible. :)
:mrgreen:

Yeah, true. To me, airplanes are made for filling some purpose, in which they succeed in various degrees. What I like in Cessnas, is usually their no-nonsense approach to general design. Fancier designs always bring in the question: why? Engineers typically start thinking from "why not", but this sometimes leads into designs that perhaps could have weighed the options and benefits a little bit more. The excitement comes from having a new player for this interesting utility aircraft role. A flying Ford Transit would make an interesting simulation scenario as well: those remote towns in Alaska or Sierra Nevada among the other places have made up some of the nicest sim flight I've had. :)

Funny that you mention the SC.7. It is precisely an example of an aircraft that is let down by, well, nonsense design choices even if it was great on the paper for certain roles.
Nick M wrote:Also, browsing the Cessna/Textron website I was interested to see the Cessna Denali. This one had completely passed me by. Now that design really does look familiar.
No wonder that has gone unnoticed. Single-engine utility turbine market is absolutely dominated by PC-12, at least for those who can afford one. As an utility aircraft design, one could say it is a perfect aircraft. Cessna would really need to show their best to make the Denali competitive. An interesting entry, anyway.

-Esa

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Getting closer to the deadline for a Christmas release......
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

AKar wrote:No wonder that has gone unnoticed. Single-engine utility turbine market is absolutely dominated by PC-12, at least for those who can afford one. As an utility aircraft design, one could say it is a perfect aircraft.
Yeah, the Cessna execs/design team must have though the same thing as they really do seem to have come up with what I can only describe as a PC-12 NG knock-off! :o Just about every aspect of the configuration seems, well, identical, even down to the trailing-link gear. Not sure what benefits the GE powerplant in the Denali will bring to operators or if the list price will be lower than the PC-12, but I suspect the Pilatus guys were less than amused when Cessna announced this one. :roll:

Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Nick M wrote:Yeah, the Cessna execs/design team must have though the same thing as they really do seem to have come up with what I can only describe as a PC-12 NG knock-off! :o Just about every aspect of the configuration seems, well, identical, even down to the trailing-link gear.
No surprise there. PC-12 is very thought-out design for an airplane. I haven't spent but a very little time with the type, but there is not much to dislike on the airplane itself. Mechs slightly disliked how some things were arranged, but they always do. :lol:
Nick M wrote:Not sure what benefits the GE powerplant in the Denali will bring to operators [...]
Indeed, that is an interesting point. The small turbine market has been relatively static for half a century basically. Apparently GE bought and subsidized Walter Aircraft Engines to gain some foothold on the smaller-end turboprop market, this "Advanced Turboprop" (ATP) engine is their competitor to venerable PT6. The PT6 would be somewhat difficult engine to challenge, for its reputation for extremely high reliability holds it pretty high, even if its archrival, the conceptually somewhat different TPE331, can be somewhat more economical, everything else the same. For PT6, Wikipedia quotes an in-flight shutdown rate of about one per 650000 flight hours in 2016 - that's some performance to challenge!

-Esa

Cessna781
Airman

Post by Cessna781 »

Call it wishful thinking but... has anyone thought that by putting “a” in quotation marks he was hinting at more than one release? Again call it wishful thinking but it sure would be a Christmas surprise, an expensive Christmas surprise :lol:

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

A double release would be awesome and something I don’t think I’ve seen done before. I’m in.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”