Favorite Places To Fly

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Cessna781
Airman

Favorite Places To Fly

Post by Cessna781 »

Where do you guys like to fly? I am looking for a new home base, preferably with an Orbx freeware airport. (highly recommend everyone check out the Orbx freeware collection, my favourite is KCOI - Merritt Island). Definitely like being close to the coast and having some decent terrain around.

I have explored a large portion of western Canada, Florida, Hawaiian Islands and around Saint Maarten.

Would love to hear what you guys recommend!
Thanks

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Favorite Places To Fly

Post by MarcE »

I love the Orbx' western USA regions. Either airport jumping with airliners like the A320 or the Q400 or the low level observations using the A2A SEP airplanes. My prefered airports are payware KPSP and freeware KHQM but actually I'm travelling up and down and up and down from Alaska to San Diego. Being a german guy I have been to the USA 4 times and I have always been amazed by the landscape of the West. Everything is so different to Germany or even Europe that it's a pleasure to fly over the US. No matter if in FL300 or in 2000 ft. If there was a full fat region for Japan or Indonesia I suppose I would ferry my airplanes there.. :D

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Sometimes I fly from one Orbx free airport to another. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999998&z=2
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

bobsk8 wrote:Sometimes I fly from one Orbx free airport to another. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999998&z=2

uha! Thanks a lot for the map :D

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Little Navmap provides another way to see the ORBX free add-on airports, with all the info, such as runway length, etc. There is a row of buttons above the map for turning on and off various features, including airports. Turn off all the airports except for the left button, which is for "Force map to show add-on airports." That way, you not only can tell if the add-on airport is there, but you can get runway length, etc. Then you can decide if you want to fly in there with the Connie, or if maybe you should pre-run it with the T-6! 8)

Seeya
ATB

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I fly mostly the western united States and western Canada. There is so much open space frame rates are not a problem. KHQM Bowerman is the best Orbx freeware airport. Gold Beach, Oregon and Medford, where I live, are above average stock FSX airports. Murray on the coast in Northern California and Siltz Bay on the Oregon coast are my favorite Orbx payware airports.

I bought a bunch of Caribbean non Orbx FSX airports so I could fly the Comanche in a big loop around the Caribbean, but I don't know if they have been made available in P3d.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

It's payware, but one of my own favorites is Skagit County, KBVS. Close to the coast, close to mountains (in both directions, Vancouver island has some nice ones), and the Puget Sound area is all kinds of fun to fly up and down. The Kitty Hawk Cafe is a bit dated, though; it's Flyers Restaurant & Brewery now.

batt
Senior Airman

Post by batt »

These days I content myself flying the A2A B-17 around the Mediterranean. Gibraltar to Lanarca, and points in between.
Image Image Image
ImageImage

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

M27 To the unsuspecting eye it looks like any other normal airport. Then once you are on final you realize how narrow the airport really is, and that trees surround both ends of the airport. Then you have to prep for a landing over a 50ft obstruction because of all the trees. It really keeps you on your toes, one slip up, or gust of wind and you'll have one tire on the grass.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Local and old Locals just because I guess, EGSM, EGNJ and what not.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

dprosser
Airman Basic

Post by dprosser »

8) FTX ORBX New Zealand and Australia

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

dprosser wrote:8) FTX ORBX New Zealand and Australia
Middle Earth? ;)

PNW/Southern Alaska and several locations in and around Wyoming, Colorado and Montana for me, even though I don't have the Orbx-specific packs yet. Places like Skagway (PAGY), Cody (KCOD) and West Yellowstone (KWYS) especially due to the close proximity of some really cool stuff without having to pay virtual premiums.

Also like using Page, AZ (KPGA) for a jumping-off point cruising Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and the southwest.

Trinity in north central California. Another nod for an earlier nomination of Gold Beach, and Grant's Pass in Oregon due to proximity to Crater Lake. Astoria for the 'Hey you guy-y-y-y-y-y-ys!' effect.

Abroad, there's Orbx Reyjkavik and, well, most of Iceland. :) It's such a nice relief to come into a place like that after crossing 5-600 miles of nothing but water and clouds.

Palermo in Sicily also gets a vote. Though you should never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

I could go on and on. :)

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Post by _ME2_ »

PAKT (Ketchikan) is one of my favorite airports. Very scenic location, weather is often a challenge and there are beatiful destinations available (CZST Stewart) or Bella Coola.
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The mountains in Papua New Guinea or between English and French coasts.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Killratio wrote:The mountains in Papua New Guinea or between English and French coasts.
Doing standing patrols in your Spitfire, are you?? :D Calais, Dunkirk, Ostend.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”