JoinFS multiplayer

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
omx5o
Airman Basic

JoinFS multiplayer

Post by omx5o »

Hi, I'm releasing a free cross-platform multiplayer client for joining FSX (boxed), FSX:SE and Prepar3D (possibly X-Plane at some point). It is designed to allow smooth jitter-free movement of other aircraft on the network.

Available here, http://pmem.uk/joinfs.

Here's a list of current features:
Pilots can join with different simulator versions FSX (Boxed), FSX:Steam, Prepar3D. (Possibly X-Plane in future).
Record aircraft and play back recordings live to other pilots in a network. Overdub new aircraft onto a recording.
Animations are transmitted over the network; landing gear, elevator, ailerons, rudder, propeller, canopy, lights and smoke.
Pilots can be present on virtual ATC networks at the same time as JoinFS. This means that all aircraft in the JoinFS network will be shown using smooth low-latency movement.

I've placed a video on YouTube of nine A2A Spitfires in formation created using the overdub feature, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDMg1DhTfdE

Thanks,
Peter

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: JoinFS multiplayer

Post by Tomas Linnet »

haha, there's the post :D
I don't check the Multiplayer forum very often :)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

From reading the about page and manual, JoinFS is hostless and you don't fly in the multiplayer menu. You fly in free flight and JoinFS makes it multiplayer so all your menus are still available. Hostless means even the first person in (the host in regular multiplayer) can come and go as they please and everyone else stays connected. There is no host. It's more of a group network or party line.

You can also record multiplayer flights and save them for later to fly with them again, examine, critique, etc, and even replay (broadcast) them in a multiplayer session. I'm really hoping the formation teams will start using this and posting their routines so that others can watch or even fly along. Instead of just watching video replays, you can grab a helo and watch from whatever vantage you want, follow in chase, practice flying along with.

As for port forwarding, Peter uses the same port as FSX:SE (6112) so if you can host in regular multiplayer, others can join your JoinFS session using your IP address. But if you don't have port forwarding set up, you can still connect to other people's sessions.

This looks really cool for multiplayer!
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

youngjohn
Airman

Post by youngjohn »

I click on 'View new posts' Tomas. :D

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

youngjohn wrote:I click on 'View new posts' Tomas. :D
I do that sometimes, but normally I just check the forums for the admins I have :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Hey guys, this isn't multiplayer but it is using JoinFS. This is using the flight recording and overdubbing feature.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERkSnpG5Os[/youtube]
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

AerialShorts wrote:But if you don't have port forwarding set up, you can still connect to other people's sessions.
Yes :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

interesting it'd be good to hear peoples experiences on this new hosting solution?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I've flown several formations flights using JoinFS. Up to 5 pilots using a mix of FSX Boxed and Steam version. Very smooth running, very easy model matching without the need to edit aircraft.cfg as we always did in multiplayer. The recording is as good as FSRecorder, I miss the fast forward button, but it's on the to do list..
I can only recommend it!
Kind Regards
Tomas

Euan Emblin
Airman First Class

Post by Euan Emblin »

I fly in P3D V 3.4 and JoinFS enables me to fly with others flying in FSX boxed or Steam editions. Performance is very good and certainly smooth. Highly recommended. I was looking for something like this for years and here it finally arrives.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
On joinFS today , it gave a new update , when i went to the sight it said v1.2.4 was now a one off PAYWARE after they stated it would be free to use donation ware.
regards alan. 8)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
On joinFS today , it gave a new update , when i went to the sight it said v1.2.4 was now a one off PAYWARE after they stated it would be free to use donation ware.
regards alan. 8)
Things change :D I can understand Peter's decision, and for £15 it's a bargain :!:
Kind Regards
Tomas

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
UPDATE JoinFS website no longer there , peter has decided it is time to move to pastures new , those who have v1.2.3 full version can still get on the joinFS and use it for free , those not in joinFS yet , will need to know someone whose got this version , as it is no longer available any other way , sad day for the FS community , this all happened yesterday , as he was setting up a payware version , which is also nolonger available.
regards alan. 8)

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
UPDATE JoinFS website no longer there , peter has decided it is time to move to pastures new , those who have v1.2.3 full version can still get on the joinFS and use it for free , those not in joinFS yet , will need to know someone whose got this version , as it is no longer available any other way , sad day for the FS community , this all happened yesterday , as he was setting up a payware version , which is also nolonger available.
regards alan. 8)
Wait, What? So he has abandoned the whole project? Am I understanding you correctly Alan? That is sad. For multiplayer it is a fantastic program.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Something that most people don't seem to understand is how much time and effort goes into a thing like this. Peter told me that he has spent six months on JoinFS to the exclusion of almost everything else in his life.
When he decided, quite rightly in my opinion, to charge a miserly £15 for it, he was confronted by a barrage of what he called 'negativity' on his forum. At that point he said Sod it! I would too.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”