Beacon light on the Cherokee

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Beacon light on the Cherokee

Post by Roadburner426 »

So just ran her up and was checking everything out, and the aircraft itself is working beautifully! However I checked out the night lighting and it seems there is no actual light on the beacon itself, but the splash effect from the beacon light "blinking" is on the upper rear fuselage and tail. Also when I exited an error file was generated stating as follows below. I am going to install the 182 now to see if it helps.

[error.0]
error=Texture fx_a2a_c172_lights_1.bmp failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
[error.1]
[error.2]
[error.3]
error=Texture fx_a2a_c182_lights_1.bmp failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Re: Beacon light on the Cherokee

Post by Roadburner426 »

Now after installing the 182 it also does the same thing, and the error codes in the file have changed to this below. At least this is something minor and not really that important, and everything else works. :lol: All my hours automatically show in the maintenance hangar too which is awesome.

[error.0]
[error.1]
[error.2]
[error.3]
[error.4]
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello thanks for the report. We would suggest turning the faulty reporting tool off as its a dev side tool that's known to report many false positives depending on what the software is doing.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Ah ok. Will turn it off then. Figured it would be a helpful tool. Is giving me the same errors with the Comanche and T-6 as well even though it appears all the lights function just fine on them. Off it goes, and now time for the inaugural Prepar3d v4 flight with the Comanche.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

snoopy_belgium
Airman Basic

Post by snoopy_belgium »

I have also installed the cherokee in a fresh P3D v4 installation and I have the same problem. I'm using dynamic lighting.
The beacon light stays off and the red light is only blinking on the fuselage.
Also the strobe light is too strong. With sunny day light this light is still visible on the fuselage, also on spots where is should not be visible.

Best regards,
Snoopy_belgium

Warhead2113
Airman Basic

Post by Warhead2113 »

I've not had issues with the beacon light, but during a recent night flight with the Cherokee (same day the P3Dv4 update came out, I believe), the strobe light was flashing through the wing. Where the rivets are joining the wing panels together, the strobe light was visible. It wasn't lighting the visible surface of the wing, it gave the appearance of the strobe being inside the wing itself and light escaping to the outside. It was too hard for me to grab a screenshot of it, considering how quickly the strobes flash.

sima2apilot
Airman

Post by sima2apilot »

Warhead2113 wrote:I've not had issues with the beacon light, but during a recent night flight with the Cherokee (same day the P3Dv4 update came out, I believe), the strobe light was flashing through the wing. Where the rivets are joining the wing panels together, the strobe light was visible. It wasn't lighting the visible surface of the wing, it gave the appearance of the strobe being inside the wing itself and light escaping to the outside. It was too hard for me to grab a screenshot of it, considering how quickly the strobes flash.
Hi

I've already seen this month ago, i've made a screenshot and drew some arrows on it to show the light through the wing along the white lines
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Amos4kbvuA4MlGlIQB8CmOCaDPeV

best regards
Gilles
Accusim Aircrafts
C182 Skylane / PA-28 Cherokee 180 / PA-24 Comanche 250 / T-6 Texan

Simu
P3D V4.1 / X-Plane 11 / FSW with Accusim

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Been waiting a long time now for a fix for ALL the A2A planes. My 182, Cherokee, Comanche, all do this. Please fix.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

sima2apilot wrote:I've already seen this month ago, i've made a screenshot and drew some arrows on it to show the light through the wing along the white lines
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Amos4kbvuA4MlGlIQB8CmOCaDPeV
I think this is just a limitation of the lighting effects that were introduced in P3Dv4. Object don't 'self-shadow' when it comes to emissive light sources so sometimes artefacts like this will tend to appear, especially with products which were designed prior to P3Dv4's release.
B-17 Flier wrote:Been waiting a long time now for a fix for ALL the A2A planes. My 182, Cherokee, Comanche, all do this. Please fix.
Do what exactly Paul? There seem to be a few issues which have been brought up in this thread.

Thanks,
Nick

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

The red beacon light. When it is on you can barely see it. And when on all you see is the reflection of it on some control surfaces.

No other planes in my sim, P3Dv4 do this but the A2A planes. I read somewhere a while back that they knew about it and were going to fix it. But still no word on a fix.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. The problem seems to be that aircraft in the A2A GA fleet are trying to use lighting effect textures from the Cessna 172. Therefore, if a user (or beta tester for that matter) has the C172 installed, the problem isn't apparent.

However, for those who don't own the Cessna, the lighting effects are incomplete. I though this was just an issue with the 182, but it looks like it's a bit more widespread.

Note sure how far off the next official update is, but this can be fixed by manually editing the various *.fx files for the Cherokee using Notepad (they're just text files). In fact, I made a quick unofficial fix for the C182 which does this and could make the same thing available for the other aircraft too, but I don't want to step on A2A's toes too much with stuff like this.

Thanks,
Nick

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Thanks Nick, I'll just wait for the official fix then, as long as someone knows about it, that's what matters.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Paul - I'm pretty sure the A2A guys won't mind if I post a link to some corrected *.fx files. Just download the zip archive below, copy the 5 files within, then paste them into the A2A "Effects" directory, overwriting the originals. By default, the file path is: "My Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\Effects". As always with such unofficial fixes, I recommend you back-up the original *.fx files just to be safe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpvifb2bsi0mz ... x.zip?dl=0

If you do try this, please can you just confirm if it works okay? :)

Thanks,
Nick

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Thanks Nick, will do when I get a chance as I'm very bust right now.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No rush, and who knows, the next official update could be just round the corner. However, it seems that A2A are making a few changes to the installation and update procedure, so maybe that's part of the reason why it's been quite a few months since the last one.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”