YNP to GTNP (Was: Geography quiz.)

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Scav
Senior Airman

YNP to GTNP (Was: Geography quiz.)

Post by Scav »

Where am I? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Scav on 28 May 2017, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Re: Geography quiz.

Post by crazac »

Wyoming?

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

crazac wrote:Wyoming?
Yup yup! Excellent guess!

I was there three years ago myself; I got to channel my Ansel Adams in a serious way. Anyway, I don't have a cookie or anything to give you for the correct answer, unfortunately, but I do have the rest of the arrival series on-hand. Here you go:

Is that a hiking trail?!

Approaching Jackson Lake from the north.

Jackson Lake, Leigh Lake and Jenny Lake.

Jackson Lake and Jenny Lake.

Snake River and US 191. All arrivals from the north must remain east of the river to avoid the GTNP protected airspace.

Grand Teton and Jenny Lake.

Finally, KJAC, Jackson Hole airport. Staying high and slow in this shot to give time for a speed demon Learjet to shoot the approach (hey, when he's doing 160 going in, I'm not going to argue).

It's amazing how close to the real thing this gets. :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: YNP to GTNP (Was: Geography quiz.)

Post by Lewis - A2A »

nice shots 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Scav wrote: Yup yup! Excellent guess!

I was there three years ago myself; I got to channel my Ansel Adams in a serious way. Anyway, I don't have a cookie or anything to give you for the correct answer, unfortunately, but I do have the rest of the arrival series on-hand.
:lol: No worries.

It's hard to miss those mountains. I figured you were at Jackson. I have the Orbx region and have ripped around over there a bunch.

In real, I've been through there a few times on a motorcycle headed to Sturgis. I have to say a pretty rad place. I would like to go back and lamp out for a while, instead of rolling through.
Actually, on one of those trips, I met the guy that owns the DC3 that runs cargo out to Catalina Island. I think he said he's based in Long Beach. We stopped at his house in Salt Lake for a party on the way. I didn't know that at the party, but, I talked to him about it in Jackson Hole. 8) He also has a Widgeon [at the time]. I remember he was saying how much work it is to rinse it after you splash it in the salt water. :lol: Anyway, I digress.

Thanks for sharing. Great shots and I love the idea of guess where...

Cheers!

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

crazac wrote: It's hard to miss those mountains. I figured you were at Jackson. I have the Orbx region and have ripped around over there a bunch.
I'm working with the Orbx global pack right now, and this is seriously giving me the jives to pick up their regional packs as well.
crazac wrote: In real, I've been through there a few times on a motorcycle headed to Sturgis. I have to say a pretty rad place. I would like to go back and lamp out for a while, instead of rolling through.
Actually, on one of those trips, I met the guy that owns the DC3 that runs cargo out to Catalina Island. I think he said he's based in Long Beach. We stopped at his house in Salt Lake for a party on the way. I didn't know that at the party, but, I talked to him about it in Jackson Hole. 8) He also has a Widgeon [at the time]. I remember he was saying how much work it is to rinse it after you splash it in the salt water. :lol: Anyway, I digress.
What an amazing story! :) I think GTNP really captured something in my heart when I was there. It was VERY peaceful and quiet in the park, just standing at one of the many roadside stops and just staring at it all. The only sound that could be heard was the wind whispering through the air. Temperatures were moderate and the sun wasn't too bad -- until I did the stupidest thing that year and spent two hours swimming at the hotel pool in direct sunlight.

I left my home state as a human and returned as a lobster.
crazac wrote: Thanks for sharing. Great shots and I love the idea of guess where...
You're welcome! This was actually kinda fun -- though it's going to be hard going forward staying away from the really prominent landmarks in the world without a) making it too easy, and b) making it too hard in the same breath. Taking the Cherokee out there was a real treat as well -- this thing can get out of its own way and has gobs of lift -- until it stops flying, that is.
Lewis - A2A wrote: nice shots 8)
Thankya again! :)

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Scav wrote: What an amazing story! :) I think GTNP really captured something in my heart when I was there. It was VERY peaceful and quiet in the park, just standing at one of the many roadside stops and just staring at it all. The only sound that could be heard was the wind whispering through the air. Temperatures were moderate and the sun wasn't too bad -
Yeap! That says it. Beautiful, quiet and good energy. There are so many good spots like that across the country. At least on my trip. And, in the most unexpected areas also. I still have a vision of this one spot and I have no idea where it was. It was like a dream.
Scav wrote:- until I did the stupidest thing that year and spent two hours swimming at the hotel pool in direct sunlight.

I left my home state as a human and returned as a lobster.

:lol: I'm pretty sure I've done that plenty of times.

Scav wrote:You're welcome! This was actually kinda fun -- though it's going to be hard going forward staying away from the really prominent landmarks in the world without a) making it too easy, and b) making it too hard in the same breath. Taking the Cherokee out there was a real treat as well -- this thing can get out of its own way and has gobs of lift -- until it stops flying, that is.

One hope at a time. Where ever the sim-wind takes you. :wink: Have fun.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”