Paul Mantz

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Paul Mantz

Post by dvm »

Most of you old timers like me remember that the famous movie pilot Paul Mantz was killed during the filming of the original 1965 "Flight of the Phoenix" movie staring Jimmy Stewart. I stumbled on this video that includes the crash. For those who have never seen the movie "The flight of the Phoenix" it's worth a look. The story goes that he hit a small rise in the desert and whacked the throttle trying climb out of his situation but the tail cone of the frail machine folded up. No computers back then they had a the real deal to fly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN_lqn58[/youtube]

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Re: Paul Mantz

Post by Ian Warren »

A little follow up about the man I did many years ago.

Katana1000
Senior Airman

Post by Katana1000 »

The original (dont like the remake) Flight of the Phoenix film is one of my favourites, it recently came out on Blu Ray, never get tired of watching it.

Interesting he used a B variant Mustang in your pictures.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Yeah, Mantz had two C-model Mustangs - one (NX1202) is now on display in the Smithsonian, and the other (NX1204) is still flying, owned/operated by Kermit Weeks (now known as "Ina the Macon Belle" since its restoration in the 90's, completed in 2000). The P-51B/C is faster than the D by at least 15+ mph in cruise, using the same power settings.

One of the best online collections of photos of Paul Mantz/Frank Tallman aircraft, from back in the day, can be found here (many of these aircraft are still around today, spread between various museums/collections, such as Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight): http://www.aerovintage.com/tallmantz.htm
John Terrell

Katana1000
Senior Airman

Post by Katana1000 »

Thanks, had a quick look at the link, will look again later when I have more free time.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”