Airport in 1948

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Airport in 1948

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Here is a short movie of how airports were organized almost 70 years ago. I find it fascinating, how flight numbers and flight schedules were written on a black chalkboard. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWlM7s1fvbY[/youtube]

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Re: Airport in 1948

Post by Ian Warren »

Great little movie, very simplistic, I wonder if that was Midway airport?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Kinda looked like Midway, yes? I thought Midway was fairly well surrounded by the city even then, but I could be wrong about that! Nice Navion that private pilot was flying!

HAROLD SCHECKEL JR
Airman First Class

Post by HAROLD SCHECKEL JR »

That was Midway. The Terminal was just recently completed, but things didn't start to fill in around the airport until the early 50's.
Harold

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian Warren »

Jacques, it is quite amazing how the, a city changes in even in my short life time, I recall being able to see landmarks from the top/viewing deck of the Christchurch Intl Airport in the mid 1970's and even it had this affect even earlierin the late 1960's were if one was to look directly west it almost appeared to be able to see all the way to the Southern Alps, today all these feature have now disappeared even simply because of the trees planted and have grown.
HAROLD SCHECKEL JR wrote:That was Midway. The Terminal was just recently completed, but things didn't start to fill in around the airport until the early 50's.
Harold
Thanks for the confirm Harold, with all the New Zealand history books I have here showing aircraft overflying Christchurch city 60 to 70 years ago , it looked absolutely barren , as mentioned above to Jacques, all it takes is a few years for the trees to grow to suddenly change the landscape. Then course add the new structures and buildings , totally transformed again.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

That is very true, Ian! I think I was caught out by trying to rectify the picture of the Connie overrun from Midway into the very urban intersection with the "pastoral" image in the film! I should know better!

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian Warren »

Jacques wrote:I think I was caught out by trying to rectify the picture of the Connie overrun from Midway into the very urban intersection with the "pastoral" image in the film! I should know better!
Jacques, It dose not take much, a few photo's again over Christchurch in the early years some part I could not recognize , course today added roads and motorways , during WWII a suburb of Christchurch 'Aranui' was known as a satellite town to the east, I grew up around the west side between RNZAF Wigram and Christchurch Intl Airport from 1962 to around 78 , was simply paddocks one after the other , I then had moved away, but on return in 1997 to the area, it completely had transformed , and now appears the floodgate has opened , huge sub-divisions , I think this is were this little movie is a goody.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I love this movie, it was made a year before I was born! I had to laugh at the "Message on a stick" that was passed up to the pilot through his side window. Great old video.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Message on a stick is still used... :wink:
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Amazing, great video! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”