Not Turning

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
r601020
Senior Airman

Not Turning

Post by r601020 »

I pressed paused before the P51 ran straight into the terminal beginning a taxi, but it's not turning.
* Control-Lock, negative
* Rudder works, check

Since last flying it, have purchased Piper Cherokee and Piper Comanche, so I re-ran simconnect(s), and tried again, but no improvement.

Tested Spitfire with a taxi, takeoff and landing, and it's okay.

Granted, it's been a while since I've flown the P51, so the problem might be between the computer and chair, but . . any help would be appreciated.
Richard

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Not Turning

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,
:idea:
Check, if your controls are fine with other aircraft, then test on the P-51. Try stick forward to unlock the tail wheel, and try to apply separate breaking to left or right wheel, to see if she would turn to that direction.

Don't forget to peek in the maintenance hanger to see, if everything is OK there too.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,
:idea:
Check, if your controls are fine with other aircraft, then test on the P-51. Try stick forward to unlock the tail wheel, and try to apply separate breaking to left or right wheel, to see if she would turn to that direction.

Don't forget to peek in the maintenance hanger to see, if everything is OK there too.

Cheerz,
Will
Hello Bulgaria from United States,

Maintenance Hanger, no problem in P51.
Taxied using left/right brakes, and managed takeoff (good idea, thank you).

Checked controls in FSX:SE, all correct
Checked calibration, all correct

Controls (rudder) work with other aircraft.

Rudder works in display of P51, but doesn't work in operation (I can see rudder turning, left/right, but it doesn't turn plane).
Richard

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Richard,

Did you run the most recent version of the Accu-Sim update after you installed the Cherokee and Comanche? If not, this is the first thing to try.

Thanks,
Nick

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello,

I wanted to add, to Nick's advice, check if you load the default trike in FSX and not some complex aircraft or the P-51 as your default flight.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

Nick M wrote:Hi Richard,

Did you run the most recent version of the Accu-Sim update after you installed the Cherokee and Comanche? If not, this is the first thing to try.

Thanks,
Nick
I re-run the accusim after each install, but re-running . .

"P-51 is currently up-to-date"
LZ-WIL wrote:Hello,

I wanted to add, to Nick's advice, check if you load the default trike in FSX and not some complex aircraft or the P-51 as your default flight.

Cheerz,
Will
Tried that too, check.
Richard

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall the P-51? First uninstall the accu-sim package, then the aircraft.
Install the P-51 (as administrator), then install the Accu-Sim package (as admin again) and finally run the latest updater (as admin).

P.S. Delete the [FSX_DIRECTORY]\A2A\P51\Update\client.wyc, in case the updater does not update the aircraft and rerun it.

Cheerz,
Will

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Are you familiar with how to taxi taildraggers in general?
ImageImage
ImageImage

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Are you familiar with how to taxi taildraggers in general?
Flew the P-51 around the SIM globe, so . . some taxi experience.

Rudder visibly works, ground and airborne, but doesn't work operationally. Won't turn the plane.

Something isn't synced up. The only control setting I changed after purchase of Cherokee was regarding rudder sensitivity, but could try setting it back (don't see how that would correct problem).
Richard

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Did you also purchase the Accu-sim pack for the P-51?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

Closure:
I had increased rudder sensitivity for Piper Cherokee to reduce jerky movements while taxing. In turn, this affected P-51D (the why, was explained to me by another pilot better than I can repeat, but it made sense). Re-setting rudder sensitivity to roughly default for P-51D solved the problem.
Richard

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well that shouldn't make an difference, least not in the way you described but hey ho, your up and flying again 8) :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MadMac388th
Airman First Class

Post by MadMac388th »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Did you also purchase the Accu-sim pack for the P-51?

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis. I'm having the same problem described in this post. I recently purchased a Military P-51 with P-51 Accu-sim. I installed in the order: P-51, Accu-sim, and ran the updater. I already had the Cessna 172, Cherokee, and Comanche installed. As near as I can tell, everything in the P-51 is working except the rudder. The pedals move (full range) In the external view I can see the rudder move (full range), but it has no effect when taxing or flying. (I was able to get airborne with the wind coming straight down the runway and some very dainty use of toe brakes). Once airborne full deflection of the pedals produced no effect on yaw. Again I could see the rudder moving in the external view. It is working correctly in all of my other planes. I tried uninstalling the update folder and re-updating with no effect. I have not tried a full uninstall, re-install, but I'm not sure what that will accomplish as this was a fresh install to begin with. My rudder settings are on full sensitivity and work fine with all other planes. Not sure what to try here.

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

r601020 wrote:I pressed paused before the P51 ran straight into the terminal beginning a taxi, but it's not turning.
* Control-Lock, negative
* Rudder works, check

Since last flying it, have purchased Piper Cherokee and Piper Comanche, so I re-ran simconnect(s), and tried again, but no improvement.

Granted, it's been a while since I've flown the P51, so the problem might be between the computer and chair, but . . any help would be appreciated.
Ahh! You've encountered the ground steering problem which makes it impossible to steer the aircraft on the ground. Welcome to the club!

There are several threads on this problem and A2A don't seem to have provided a definitive solution.

I use an earlier P51 update because I never solved the ground steering problem with the latest updates installed. When I bought a new computer recently and had to create a fresh install of FSX and all the A2A software, I had a devil of a job getting the P51 to perform correctly.

I'm a bit disappointed that A2A hasn't addressed this problem. There are several customers who have experienced the same issue.

MadMac388th
Airman First Class

Post by MadMac388th »

mattsta wrote:
r601020 wrote:I pressed paused before the P51 ran straight into the terminal beginning a taxi, but it's not turning.
* Control-Lock, negative
* Rudder works, check

Ahh! You've encountered the ground steering problem which makes it impossible to steer the aircraft on the ground. Welcome to the club!

There are several threads on this problem and A2A don't seem to have provided a definitive solution.

I use an earlier P51 update because I never solved the ground steering problem with the latest updates installed. When I bought a new computer recently and had to create a fresh install of FSX and all the A2A software, I had a devil of a job getting the P51 to perform correctly.

I'm a bit disappointed that A2A hasn't addressed this problem. There are several customers who have experienced the same issue.
How does one get a hold of an earlier update?

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”