Harvard D-FRCP - Restoration

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Harvard D-FRCP - Restoration

Post by Bomber_12th »

As you may or may not recall, the last time I flew this aircraft I had the engine quit on takeoff (flight sim-related pilot goof/mistake), and had to put it in a field at the end of the runway...

I sent the aircraft off for repairs, but what began as an engine/prop replacement, firewall-forward restoration, and repair-as-necessary to the wing and fuselage lower surfaces, soon became a full-on complete restoration of the airframe, resulting in this...

John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Re: Harvard D-FRCP - Restoration

Post by Bomber_12th »

Of course the true story is that this is a repaint that depicts the Harvard D-FRCP, which is already included in the A2A product, but as the aircraft appears today. The way in which the aircraft is depicted in the A2A product is how the aircraft looked up until 2010, when it was sent to MeierMotors for in-depth inspection and maintenance (IRAN - inspect and replace as necessary). This soon evolved into an extensive tear-down and complete restoration of the airframe. After about 3-4 years of work, the restoration was completed in 2014, with the aircraft emerging in an overall polished bare metal finish in basic/generic RAF trainer markings.

Last edited by Bomber_12th on 04 Jun 2016, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

This particular aircraft is a Noorduyn-built Harvard Mk.IIb, construction number 14A-868, and was one of 1,500 Noorduyn-produced Harvards that were accepted by the USAAF as AT-16's. With the USAAF, the aircraft was given the serial number 43-12569, but was re-directed to the Royal Canadian AF and given the serial/code of FS728, where it was operated as part of the Empire Air Training Scheme. Following WWII, the aircraft was purchased by the Netherlands Air Force in 1947, where it was given the code B-104. The aircraft was first sold into the civilian market in 1970 and registered in the Netherlands as PH-SKL, before being sold a couple years later to a British owner and re-registered as G-BAFM. During its time in the UK, the aircraft was repainted into overall yellow WWII trainer markings and original RCAF code of FS728. The aircraft remained in the UK until 1995 when it was sold to an owner based in Switzerland and re-registered as HB-RCP. In 2001 the aircraft was sold to a German owner and once again re-registered as D-FRCP. In 2010, the aircraft was sent to MeierMotors for in-depth inspection and maintenance, which then led to a 3-4 year complete restoration, with the aircraft first flying again in 2014, appearing as depicted by this repaint.

The repaint has been uploaded this evening to Flightsim.com, Avsim, and Sim-Outhouse - filename jt_a2a_at6_dfrcp.zip

John Terrell

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Awesome job John! I was hoping for someone to do D-FRCP in its new colors! Nicely done!

Thank you for sharing it with us!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Hi John,

I had hoped you would do this livery :)

It looks absolutely gorgeous! Thank you very much :D

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

John Terrell

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Outstanding, thanks a lot!

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Very very nice! John, would you consider releasing a version that is the same, just with out the German registrations? Kinda a generic RAF T-6/Harvard?

Cheers,

Joe
Joe

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Bomber... Two words Stun Ning!!!!!!!!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

That is looking Superb .. the bellied Harvard, That is so close to the front page off the local paper in the early 1970s , engine trouble and the pilot pancaked it perfectly just like that ... fact is so close to that front page photo 8)

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

John, could you may update your stunning work with black Bose-Headsets instead of the green DCs? That would be nice :D

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Nice paint John, a beauty! I brought Compton Abbas after seeing your screenies from there months ago, great little air field :)

Btw was it you that did the repaint of the T6 from my local airport? Halfpenny Green (EGBO)
Do you have a link for it still? Because I'm not a member of Avsim library, if it was you that put it there.

Keep up the good work!

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

John, thank you very much for the kind words!

For the other repaint you're referring to, if G-TDJN, I don't have any links per-say, but you can find it at Sim-Outhouse, Flightsim.com, and Avsim, with the file name jt_t6_353rd_v2.zip

(Mind you, I was wrong by stating in the description that it is based at Halfpenny Green. I had thought it was, since I have seen so many photos and descriptions of the real world aircraft flying there, but I have since learned that it is in fact based at the Gloucester Airport.)
John Terrell

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

That's the one! G-TDJN. Ok I'll find it thank you.

Yes it was here for a while though :) I spoke to some CFI's there the other week and they remember it, I think they said he had took it to Gloucester because of something to do with the new owners here, and the cost and facilities I believe.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”