1st time with the Oculus Rift CV1!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

1st time with the Oculus Rift CV1!

Post by Kilstorm »

I'm a never owned the Development kit CV1 user. I had a few hickups getting my VR to run starting with evga producing a few video card models of the GTX 980TI VR which I got some time ago.  Received my Rift on May 13th and learned that the video card would not allow the screen to work. evga did a RMA with no hassle and I received it today. I do recommend the 980TI VR model in that it offers a front expansion port with two USB 3.0 ports and a HDMI one for anyone looking to get the rift and dont have a 3.0 port on the back of their computer as the cable from the Rift headset which has both the HDMI and USB will not split to allow a plug to be plugged into the back and front without an extention cable for the HDMI.

So heres my findings.  Once the screen came alive they OR gives you a few sample clips to get to see 3D.  That is a great intro, especially the TRex at the end. Another cool thing is it gives you a ghost image of the head Tracker thing exactly where it is in real life as if you can see thru the screen...just crazy.

Next was to get Fly Inside for P3D.  Its a rather straight forward exe setup where it will tell you the settings it needs to change in P3D (like turn HDR off etc) and ask if you agree.  You then will need to reset the sim and should go ahead and restart the computer as well.

once installed you will get a Fly Inside Icon on your desktop which you double click on to start P3D (or FSX for that matter...just make sure to download the correct version for your sim platform and there is an option to buy both)  Once you start that it will open both P3D and Oculus Rift and you can now put your headset on as the sim loads. Theres a slight learning curve to getting use to clicking on the FlyInside stuff but in the sim you have complete control of your mouse as well.

My first flight was short in the default raptor at the default field. Seeing I had it working I went to grab a quick bite for dinner as I started all this after work at 5pm as I knew I was going to be up for the night. Now for my first official VR flight I picked the Texan at Sedona for the Terrain. OMG what a thrill. The ability to look around and not have limits like Tracker IR gives is one small detail but the real amazement was just how 3D the cockpit was. Every little thing.  I kept feeling like as I looked down I should see my legs and limps in the cockpit below me.

My first "feel it in the seat of my pants" feel came on my first dive. Playing around the mountains was great as well.  There is a loss of HD clarity but there is no loss of smoothiness and great frames.  Every once and awhile the screen would go black and I think that was due to heavy visuals.  The screen would stay black for a second. I got use to it but will read up on it in case it is something I can fix.

My next flight was the Spitfire at KEGE. That plane is so f'n beautiful in 3D and now with unlimited field of view in head tracker, its a completely new feel to flying it and being able to enjoy seeing the gauges and such.

I still have some configuring to do in Fly Inside to get the most of it and will be playing with that over the coming days but as I sit here after these few flight I still feel weird like I was on a roller coaster which was expected as other all say that will be the case but to actually feel it now I get it.

​​​​​​​For me, this is a whole new sim and each plane will be like new for me.  I'm limiting my VR to only tail draggers and helos as I still like my bigger sim for the more complex planes and addons but man what a rush!

One thing I cant wait to hear is from the addon developers like A2A as they start to use it and how real their plane feels in such 3D.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

Bosko
Airman First Class

Re: 1st time with the Oculus Rift CV1!

Post by Bosko »

Thanks for the review. This is something that could really change the flight sim experience. I'm hesitant to buy it for a few reasons. I only have a GTX970 and don't get a great frame rate in P3D. It's good enough, but with the Oculus Rift I'd be worried about smoothness. Also, I've heard the resolution isn't great. What do you think?

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

FSX is actually a better platform for VR and you get much better performance in fsx steam edition than in P3D ironically in VR esp. The res is as you say an issue and from what our own Michal P has said the experience is great but you can't use it for day to day simming as reading the gauges can be difficult or impossible depending on the size.

I'll link him this thread so you can get it from the horses mouth after a month or so using the Vive.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Lewis - A2A wrote:The res is as you say an issue and from what our own Michal P has said the experience is great but you can't use it for day to day simming as reading the gauges can be difficult or impossible depending on the size.
thanks,
Lewis
Yeah its a fun sim but for me will exist along side my main sim and not replace it. The biggest thing about it for me, would be being there when you A2A and all the other a/c guys first try it and see your planes in it for the first time. You guys have modeled everything to be so real looking in 3D. When I had the EzDok installed and up close to the panels etc, its hard to believe they are not right there for you to grab and at that close the res is not an issue.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I envy you that must be an amazing experience.
I remember hearing about those VR goggles back in the EF2000 days in 1995.
By the way I remember an episode of the Computer Chronicles (and have also seen the same episode recently) where the person moves his hand using a webcam to do things in PC games like playing basketball.
Could this be done to virtually operate the controls in the sim or in the aircraft to circumvent having to use a keyboard,joystick or rudder pedals or other controls inside the virtual aircraft?
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

How does it work with saitek panels? Would you just feel around for them?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

n421nj wrote:How does it work with saitek panels? Would you just feel around for them?
Once you add leap motion the need for the panels isn't there as you just reach forward and move the switches and dials in the VC

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Check Froogle's latest video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJ7flnVH5k

He has it running in P3D and is over the moon about it!

No way I can afford $1,000 NZ though :-(

Adam.
--
Image--Image

terrydew
Airman First Class

Post by terrydew »

Lewis - A2A wrote:FSX is actually a better platform for VR and you get much better performance in fsx steam edition than in P3D ironically in VR esp. The res is as you say an issue and from what our own Michal P has said the experience is great but you can't use it for day to day simming as reading the gauges can be difficult or impossible depending on the size.

I'll link him this thread so you can get it from the horses mouth after a month or so using the Vive.

thanks,
Lewis
Lewis

Is Michal P using the cv1 or the dk2. I had a lot of problems reading the gauges and radios with the dk2 but with the cv1 I can read them all with a little adjustment. I have worn my cv1 for over an hour now with little if any fatigue.

As the video said, you just can't understand how great it is until you actually try it. Now that Oculus is setting up demo booths at some retail stores you might be able to find one to try.

I think this holds a great opportunity for A2A innovation like figuring out how to proper size to represent real world size, control input etc.

Terry

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

terrydew wrote: Is Michal P using the cv1 or the dk2.
Neither. I'm using HTC Vive. Same resolution as CV1, but slightly bigger FOV.
terrydew wrote:I had a lot of problems reading the gauges and radios with the dk2 but with the cv1 I can read them all with a little adjustment. I have worn my cv1 for over an hour now with little if any fatigue.
Correct, gauges are pretty readable. The needles are quite clear, but you have to lean to read the digits for example.

For me the resolution is still a problem, and not only for the gauges, but also for scanning the distant scenery. The sense of being there on the other hand, is amazing. The scale of cockpit is true to life, and it's finally possible to see how small those cockpits are.

terrydew
Airman First Class

Post by terrydew »

Michal - A2A wrote:
terrydew wrote:I had a lot of problems reading the gauges and radios with the dk2 but with the cv1 I can read them all with a little adjustment. I have worn my cv1 for over an hour now with little if any fatigue.
Correct, gauges are pretty readable. The needles are quite clear, but you have to lean to read the digits for example.

For me the resolution is still a problem, and not only for the gauges, but also for scanning the distant scenery. The sense of being there on the other hand, is amazing. The scale of cockpit is true to life, and it's finally possible to see how small those cockpits are.
Hi Mike

I have both the cv1 and the Vive and I much prefer the cv1 for sim. I got the Vive first and used it with Flyinside and I would have to agree with your assessment. However when I got the cv1 I could read the gauges and radios better. It could be just my perception but to me it is better. Hopefully there will be a way for people to try both before buying. I do agree with you that resolution does need to be better but that is a ways away.

Terry

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

terrydew wrote:Hi Mike

I have both the cv1 and the Vive and I much prefer the cv1 for sim. I got the Vive first and used it with Flyinside and I would have to agree with your assessment. However when I got the cv1 I could read the gauges and radios better. It could be just my perception but to me it is better. Hopefully there will be a way for people to try both before buying. I do agree with you that resolution does need to be better but that is a ways away.

Terry
Initially I was going to buy both headsets, test them and stick with the one I'd prefer, but with all those Rift delays I went with Vive only. Personally, I don't like decisions taken by Oculus to the point I'm not going to buy the Rift at all. Besides, I've bought the headset for VR in general, not only for flight sims, and I think that controllers and roomscale are very important, Vive is much more a complete product. Flight sims and racing games are awesome, but playing The Lab or walking around in Minecraft is also an amazing experience (yes, those spiders are HUGE!).

For better resolution we'll have to wait for gen 2 anyway.

bthrun
Airman Basic

Post by bthrun »

The resolution problem can be mitigated a little with the oversample options in the Flyinside settings. There's also a zoom/binocular option which helps immensely with reading gauges, seeing details in the distance, and what I was having problems with, reading taxiway signage.
Michal - A2A wrote:

TuFun
Senior Airman

Post by TuFun »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
n421nj wrote:How does it work with saitek panels? Would you just feel around for them?
Once you add leap motion the need for the panels isn't there as you just reach forward and move the switches and dials in the VC

thanks,
Lewis
Something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Tz1zQAnMcU

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

Well I went ahead a couple weeks ago and ordered the Oculus Rift. It just sounds too cool to pass up. Price is what mainly drove my decision to get it over the Vive. It said it would take two months to ship, but just got an email saying it'll be ready to ship soon. Maybe they aren't getting as many orders as hoped? Hope I like it!

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”