P3D Market Share

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
terrydew
Airman First Class

P3D Market Share

Post by terrydew »

The guys at Orbx are projecting at the current growth rate that over 85% of their customers will be on P3D V3 by year end. I think that is great as its showing forward movement. Are you guys at A2A seeing that kind of market share growth of P3D?

Terry

BabtridgeMcJoystick
Airman First Class

Re: P3D Market Share

Post by BabtridgeMcJoystick »

terrydew wrote:The guys at Orbx are projecting at the current growth rate that over 85% of their customers will be on P3D V3 by year end. I think that is great as its showing forward movement. Are you guys at A2A seeing that kind of market share growth of P3D?

Terry
Howdy

Do you happen to have a link for that? I would be interested to read.

terrydew
Airman First Class

Post by terrydew »

BabtridgeMcJoystick
Airman First Class

Post by BabtridgeMcJoystick »

terrydew wrote:It is in this thread

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... nstallers/

Terry
Many thanks!

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

85% of NEW customers, maybe... Because most people who have FSX already have the Orbx scenery they want.

I know a number of people in the industry and they're all saying that although P3D is making inroads into FSX (and FS9) numbers, it's still a miniscule fraction compared to FSX. X-Plane and FS9 are still outselling P3D-only products, but by decreasing amounts.

Ian P.

fsimmer98
Airman

Post by fsimmer98 »

That's a good point. 85% of new purchases may be from P3D, but 85% of simmers won't be using P3D.

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

That 85% is including existing customers.
It's not just new purchases, it is an estimate of what their customer base will be using by the end of the year. Don't forget with orbx people aren't rebuying but they are moving to prepar3d and demanding prepar3d installers. That was the point of that thread.
I'm pretty sure orbx will know the percentage of what sim people are installing into. Remember that ftx central checks in with their servers for updates every time you run it so they will know what sim you are running so it can download the relevant ORBX libraries or people flow or whatever.

This poll was last year but shows a similar trend. I know users of the aerosoft forum are small in number but still.....
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/to ... ent-705640

With dovetail flight simulator being on the way I wonder how those figures will look in the next few years.

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

The vast majority of people in the hobby don't post on forums at all, let alone take part in surveys.

Also, you cannot purchase Orbx products "for P3D"... They are multi-platform installers, so on what basis are they making the judgement? An online forum poll? See above. Support requests? Maybe P3D (especially P3Dv3) users need a little more support than the vastly more familiar FSX platform and installation/setup procedures?

DTG FS will be very interesting to see. Hopefully Flight School will become the seventh FS installed on my PC (poor PC... plus the iPad has four more!) soon and we can see what direction that is heading in. The other thing that I find interesting, though, is that Orbx have no reason to 'big up' P3D, given their involvement with DTG.

I'm not disputing that P3D sales are growing and that if that rate continues then it would reach high figures. Other sources just suggest very strongly indeed that the sales figures won't continue at that rate, or anything close to it.

I guess we'll all see who's right and wrong in a year's time. :)

Ian P.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Ian P wrote:The vast majority of people in the hobby don't post on forums at all, let alone take part in surveys.

Also, you cannot purchase Orbx products "for P3D"... They are multi-platform installers, so on what basis are they making the judgement? An online forum poll? See above. Support requests? Maybe P3D (especially P3Dv3) users need a little more support than the vastly more familiar FSX platform and installation/setup procedures?

DTG FS will be very interesting to see. Hopefully Flight School will become the seventh FS installed on my PC (poor PC... plus the iPad has four more!) soon and we can see what direction that is heading in. The other thing that I find interesting, though, is that Orbx have no reason to 'big up' P3D, given their involvement with DTG.

I'm not disputing that P3D sales are growing and that if that rate continues then it would reach high figures. Other sources just suggest very strongly indeed that the sales figures won't continue at that rate, or anything close to it.

Ian P.
OrbX has two reliable sources to gather intelligence on its customership : the regular OrbXlibs updates through FTX Central and each scenery installer which has to sent back info for the anti-piracy check. You have to choose your sim, they know what is downloaded or installed. In anycase, I have seen, since last Fall, a lot of FSX diehards switching to the LM baby and be glad they did.

Now to project the rate trend that OrbX has observed in the past months, into the future is another story ( diminishing return law) and the DTG thingie may slow P3D marketshare progress indeed.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

This discussion is about relative numbers. I would like to see some total numbers if anybody has an educated guess. How many total FSX, P3D, etc. users there are.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Ian P wrote:The vast majority of people in the hobby don't post on forums at all, let alone take part in surveys.

Ian P.
Not to split hairs but its important to state that Orbx said that was based on their customers and not the hobby community. They have their Control Panel that checks for updates so they are getting the feedback directly for their information as to which sim version is being checked on.

With DTG off onto a new sim, FSX:SE will join the ranks of FSX as a sim no longer being improved upon where P3Dv3 still might until v4 comes out and who knows if that will be a new build or not requiring a restart of new addons as current ones wont port over. At that point and for the short future P3Dv3 will be the most advanced sim that allows the most addons.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

I guess for many simmers the main reason to having choosen P3D is the fact that it is a rapidly evolving software with regular updates and the professionnal touch....and version four is most likely less than a year away...

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

For this little anas africanus it was simply that, on my system, P3D needs no tweaking or messing around at all..just install and go.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We aren't seeing that trend. Based on the most recent sales, FSX is by far dominating.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

francesco.doenz wrote:I guess for many simmers the main reason to having choosen P3D is the fact that it is a rapidly evolving software with regular updates and the professionnal touch....and version four is most likely less than a year away...

Simpler than that, I took benefit of the 60 days free trial at the 2.3. mark and found that it was much better looking (clouds and terrain shadowing, colors, no autogen popping up etc.) for a smoothier ride than FSXDX10 :) !
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”