Modified Flight Dynamics

The US WWII front line fighter in the Pacific
new reply
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Modified Flight Dynamics

Post by Bomber_12th »

Here is a set of modified/alternative flight dynamics, intended to provide perhaps a closer to reality experience of flying the F4U-1A/1C/1D Corsair, covering the three variants included in the Aircraft Factory Corsair product. These FDE files started as the work of Tom Falley (Fliger747), available at Sim-Outhouse, which he created for this aircraft while it was being developed by its initial/original developer, prior to A2A/Aircraft Factory taking it over. In order for that FDE to work properly with the A2A/Aircraft Factory product, however, a number of items will need to be modified as a result of the model being 'shifted' a couple feet within the modeling software, between when Tom did the FDE originally, and when the model was released through Aircraft Factory, thus throwing all of the contact and reference points out of whack.

The credit for the original FDE files goes to Tom Falley (Fliger747). I have modified them in the following areas in order for them to work properly with the Aircraft Factory models:

- Weight and balance reference points matched to the A2A/AF model
- Contact points matched to the A2A/AF model
- Cockpit viewpoint matched to the A2A/AF model
- External and cockpit camera definitions matched to the A2A/AF model (adding two new VC viewpoints for ease of viewing the left and right control consoles)
- Fuel tanks are positioned to match the A2A/AF model (as well as ensuring the different fuel tanks between the F4U-1A and -1D/1C)
- Engine location points matched to the A2A/AF model
- Increased normalized starter torque matched to that of the A2A/AF model, so that when pressing the starter switch in the VC the engine will start
- New/adjusted tailhook entry to match the A2A/AF model (with realistic trap results)
- The original lights, effects, and brakes entries from the original A2A/AF model
- Added a smoke system for airshow flying (the smoke generator is connected to the starboard-side exhaust, like a couple examples flying today - use the I-key).

You can download the FDE files here (just updated today 1-4-2015): https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/2e ... 642/c18468

Before installing them, make sure to backup your existing files, especially so as to re-install any of the repaint entries you have.

Flying the aircraft (standard land-based operation), I use 10-degrees right rudder trim on take-off (standard setting), remembering to remove that trim as the airspeed builds in-flight, also making sure to have the tailwheel locked. When on the runway, the standard procedure is to smoothly come up on the power up to 52" MP or 55" MP (don't rush the throttle, otherwise it will be hard to control), and I tend to hold just a little forward stick as the airspeed increases so that the aircraft doesn't become airborne prematurely. Just as with the real aircraft, it typically wants to fly before you have the power all the way up to take-off setting. The airplane will rotate at about 105-110 KIAS (flaps up), and best climb-speed is 150 KIAS (42" MP, 2550 RPM in climb). Remember that the airspeed in the Corsair is marked in knots, not mph, so the airspeed readings will naturally seem lower than you will find in USAAF aircraft. As with operating the real aircraft, when you get back to the airport for landing, you want to approach the initial overhead at about 200 KIAS. Just prior to rolling into the overhead break, start reducing throttle, and then roll immediately into the downwind leg. The landing gear is then lowered, flaps positioned to 30 degrees, and the oil cooler doors opened while on downwind. On base (on the perch), with the gear and flaps configured for landing, you want to be at about 110-120 KIAS. Rolling out onto final, you want to start bleeding the speed back to down around 95 KIAS for the final segment of the approach/over the threshold, and the prop should be set full-forward/full-increase. The landing is made "power-off" in a three-point attitude, and with such a low landing speed, the landing roll-out is typically short.

With these modified flight dynamics, you shouldn't notice the aircraft wanting to bounce on landing - it should just settle right onto the runway. The very earliest of Corsairs had a real problem with bouncing on landing, but by the time of the F4U-1A and all later versions, it is very hard to bounce - as Jim Beasley mentioned back in 2010, after getting checked-out in the Friedkin's Corsair, "No matter how hard (to a point) you hit the runway it still will be a good landing." With the real aircraft, the landing gear was designed so as to use the full travel/throw of the oleo, with the oleos fully collapsing with the weight of the aircraft on them. You can see this in action, very clearly, in this classic "Roaring Glory" video on the Planes of Fame F4U-1A, when Steve is landing the aircraft (after about 20:23): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubn_QpkHnI

Adding more to the discussion on flying the Corsair, this is what the warbird pilot/restorer Brad Hood has to say about flying the Corsair, compared to the P-51 and P-47:

"The Corsair is a delight to fly. The ailerons are very light compared to any other World War II fighter. The engine is smooth and powerful and almost gives the illusion of jet engine trust (the P-47 has been described similarly, as being smooth like a jet)... I have considerable flight time in the P-51 and P-47 which are both excellent airplanes and each has its particular assets. The Corsair, in my opinion, is a blend of the two. Its climb and turn performance are phenomenal. Like most high performance wings, the magnificent wing on the Corsair is a compromise. It flies exceedingly well at low and high speed but it does sacrifice some top end speed and energy in turns in comparison to the P-51. The airplane will out-turn the P-51 but bleeds energy quicker than the Mustang. It outperforms the P-47 in most regimes... Aerobatic maneuvers are effortless in the machine and it is easy to see why combat Corsair pilots loved it."
Last edited by Bomber_12th on 04 Jan 2015, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
John Terrell

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Modified Flight Dynamics

Post by Scott - A2A »

John,

Thanks for your interest in the airplane and the update.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Badger85
Airman Basic

Post by Badger85 »

Awesome! I tried downloading the FDE files several weeks ago but noticed how it messed up the A2A/AF model in some ways. I look forward to re-downloading the FDE with your updates for the A2A/AF Corsair. Thanks!!
Cheers,
Alex "Badger85"

Check out my aviation-related video channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexsFlyingClub/

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

I am getting a message with that link that the download isn't available anymore. :(

John

Whitehawk
Airman

Post by Whitehawk »

Hey guys is this FDE mod still available somewhere?
Gavin

Live to fly, fly to live.
Do or die, ACES HIGH!

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Hey guys,

Here is another temporary download link (with the most updated versions of the FDE files): https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/c2 ... 653/fec35e
John Terrell

Whitehawk
Airman

Post by Whitehawk »

Awesome thanks Bomber, and Merry Christmas!
Gavin

Live to fly, fly to live.
Do or die, ACES HIGH!

JamieC1994
Airman Basic

Post by JamieC1994 »

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I recently started flying this plane again and noticed how the flight dynamics don't seem accurate.

Obviously the download link for the updated flight dynamics has long expired so I'm wondering if they are still available anywhere?

Thanks in advance
Jamie
Image Image Image Image Image

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Jamie,

Bomber aka John is still active, might be worth firing a PM across.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Subwofer2
Airman

Post by Subwofer2 »

I just managed to find Bomber's upload (his Modified Flight Dynamics based on Tom "Fliger747" Falley's FDE for the Corsair) on SOH (Post #67 on page 3 in the thread. Forum -> the Simulators -> FSX General Discussion -> More AF Corsair Repaints

Unfortunately he must have offered some updates as his last post here (above with expired link) indicates.

You must be logged in on SOH for his link to work/download the file (modified_fliger747_f4u_fde_1_3_2015.zip)
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (141.88 KiB) Viewed 8960 times
I'm still hoping to also locate the Excusive Expansion provided previously by FSX Air Sports Association (FASA) for the Aircraft Factory F4U-1 Corsair. Sadly, their website is down as well as all the YouTube content. From what I gather this expansion offered users a Racing variate and really breathed some added life/experience into this excellent offering from A2A's pre Accu-sim level line.

Expansion discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=35354
Image Image
Image Image

new reply

Return to “F4U Corsair”